ginsuown

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Nissan 350z, 2007 Honda Civic
isn't the mule wearing 255F/275R?

that's the single most confidence inspiring fact we know... especially given the mass and power.

Must need the grip ;)
That's awesome! I must have somehow missed that tidbit of info - was that from a thread somewhere?
Sponsored

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, well said indeed @Guff. Let me ask a more dynamic question, @A70TTR this is directed at you as well.

As far as what you know and what you have experienced, whether it may be insider access or general knowledge from the forum. Pretend this car was not dubbed the Supra.

Do you believe that the hypothetical price of $55k compared to the current market competition, and rumored equipment and performance offering is enough for you to spend almost $60,000 from a car that did not bear the Supra name?

Then there is the question of how much car are you getting, specifically, are you comfortable with a relatively small interior as a DD.
In the same way I would still buy the current BRZ/86 over the WRX and Mustang, yes. If the car can provide a the unique driving experience that I am looking for then it'll be more than worth the money.

That being said, just like how the new Camaro poses an interesting alternative to the 86 as far as a dynamic (albiet different) driving experience at a similar "cheap" price point; there are still great cars like the Cayman and Corvette that are strong contenders to this car. It will definitely have to provide a very striking driving experience.

Timster1990

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Infiniti Q50
isn't the mule wearing 255F/275R?

that's the single most confidence inspiring fact we know... especially given the mass and power.

Must need the grip ;)

Haha you're just like me then! I always look at the tire brand/model and width given from the manufacturer and Toyota is not the kind of manufacturer that puts a ton of tire width on their cars.

Timster1990

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Infiniti Q50
Guys. I think I'm a little misunderstood, I really dislike heavy muscle cars. I've always loved light weight RWD sports cars. Hell I owned 2 BRZ's and a STI!

My only beef is paying 55k for a small TOYOTA. I get its performance, ethos and that its gunning for Cayman territory. I feel like Tada is obsessed with the Cayman lol. I guess I hoped for the new Supra to take on the bigger boys, M4, GTR, 911 in the fashion that it did in the 90's. Not by building what appears to be a miata/cayman sized car with 55k price tag.

And if it were a true GT and the size of the FT-1 and it started at 70k so be it. Also most of my questions are from a more curious conversational perspective I generally enjoy hearing the talking points that you guys make.

ginsuown

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Nissan 350z, 2007 Honda Civic
yeah, that's the entire point of everything and what really matters: power to weight ratios.

Also, generally the lighter the car the better, while maintaining an equal ratio.
Yep, driving is 3 things:
accelerating
cornering
decelerating

More power only helps with one of those ;)
But less weight helps with all three!

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
Haha you're just like me then! I always look at the tire brand/model and width given from the manufacturer and Toyota is not the kind of manufacturer that puts a ton of tire width on their cars.
Or Michelin pilot sports....

That's awesome! I must have somehow missed that tidbit of info - was that from a thread somewhere?
I think it's in the "4K video of the supra" the resolution is good enough to see tyre sizes.

Timster1990

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Infiniti Q50

Blupra

First Name
Blu
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M2 and Honda S2000 - both 6MT
$55k for 340 HP? Even at 2900 lbs, sorry man. Great balance or not, even though I can afford it, that is just not going to get it done for me.

Hopefully 55k is the GRMN price and hopefully the GRMN version is putting out higher HP and overall a generous track like package to justify that price.

Otherwise the standard version (340HP) needs to be in the 40's for me to buy it. All speculatively speaking of course.
hate to be the bearer of bad news then...
Yikes.

Yeah, like A70 said, you're gonna have a bad time if that's how you feel.

Just a word of advice, if you judge a car by the amount of horsepower it has vs. the experience it actually provides, then you're never going to be happy. I personally will never form an opinion worth sharing about a car until I have real seat time in one, and many of the cars that top the HP/$ list are ones that are hardly worth one's time.

yeah, that's the entire point of everything and what really matters: power to weight ratios.

Also, generally the lighter the car the better, while maintaining an equal ratio.
As a former 911 owner (997.2) and a current S2000 owner, I understand and appreciate power to weight ratios.

2009 911 base is 345 hp and ~3100 lbs
2008 S2000 is 240hp and ~2700 lbs

Both quick/fast in their own right and both great cars to drive. The 911 was plenty fast with 345 hp... while I will likely wish the Supra is cheaper, I can afford $55k if it really is a special car!

I hate waiting.

Blupra

First Name
Blu
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M2 and Honda S2000 - both 6MT
^ Btw, my fun car went from 2006 S2000 to 2009 911 to 2008 S2000. The ultimate reason I sold the 911 (a great car) for another S2000 is the brilliance of that Honda 6-speed! Pure sex!

I’d love for Toyota to give us a manual option.
Sponsored