A80 Toyota Supra

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
^^ I think the consensus among MKIV owners was that this Supra perhaps had tires that were not heated up enough for the cold weather the car was driven in and that this car also possibly still had its factory Torsen Type-1 LSD installed in the 220mm 6-speed rear differential which has a known tendency to be unstable above 500whp. Moreover in situations of low traction (especially when roads are wet) the Type-1 Torsen is known to suddenly and violently step left which can cause a major loss of control.

I have one of those Type-1 Torsen LSDs in the 200mm size in my SC300 which is pushing far less power than this MKIV is and I can attest that it's something that needs to be considered in certain situations.

Other LSDs that fit either car do not have this issue.

It's very sad overall to see another one of these increasingly rare 90's Supras become so horribly damaged. I'm glad the mechanic was able to walk away from it relatively unscathed too. I know this all happened back in January but still...

Someone will make use of what parts can be salvaged from it.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I love what they did with the interior

day 358, still haven't seen the full shot of dash and wide angle view of interior. With all that fiddling in the dash and the camera setup, I expected to see the dash final product at least.
Otherwise, great work. Nice color seats. (don't know how I feel about it with blue exterior)

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
I guess it's possible that all the parts on that Supra that *can* be salvaged might be worth some substantial money... but I'm not sure if everything that can be parted out from that chassis is altogether worth $41k USD. Maybe I'm wrong though...

The unibody looks like it is horribly bent up and damaged far beyond repair. And even if a custom body jig were made with every single aspect of the factory geometry accounted for... does Toyota even sell all the factory sheetmetal that this car would need any longer? You'd need a donor LHD shell in good condition and even then you might as well start over with that.

And the engine internals... who knows what condition they are in after the car went airborne and slammed to the ground with the rotating assembly still in motion inside the block and head.

My bet is on a full part out other than whatever is mangled beyond recognition.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Someone locally picked up a heap (and I mean a heap) of a MKIV Supra for $28k several months back. It was a silver colored MKIV LHD (no motor, trans, or diff). Car looked like it was chewed up by a Pitbull inside and out. I got a chance to see it recently and I kid you not, the car looks like it just finished primer in an assembly line. Unbeleivable the time and money people are putting into rebuilding MKIV's nowadays when they could use that money towards a nice used sports car (i.e., MKV, GTR, etc...). One interesting thing I noticed is just how many "hard to find" parts are actually not that hard to get anymore.

Nonetheless, I am happy to see another MKIV survivor.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Someone locally picked up a heap (and I mean a heap) of a MKIV Supra for $28k several months back. It was a silver colored MKIV LHD (no motor, trans, or diff). Car looked like it was chewed up by a Pitbull inside and out. I got a chance to see it recently and I kid you not, the car looks like it just finished primer in an assembly line. Unbeleivable the time and money people are putting into rebuilding MKIV's nowadays when they could use that money towards a nice used sports car (i.e., MKV, GTR, etc...). One interesting thing I noticed is just how many "hard to find" parts are actually not that hard to get anymore.

Nonetheless, I am happy to see another MKIV survivor.
Any before and after pics?

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Any before and after pics?
I will post pics as soon as I get a chance to take some. I believe this was the same car that was in a bad accident about a year ago in Phoenix.