Car & Driver 2023 lightning lap

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
I still haven’t seen a new Z06 on track yet. That would be awesome! If they were available and at MSRP, it would be quite the super car indeed. I’ve heard they are going for as much as $100k over sticker 😱

An acquaintance of mine will be at VIR next weekend with his. I'm excited to see it/hear it run. I'm definitely going to beg for a ride. 🤩 There's a C7 ZR1 that usually runs with us so it will be a cool comparison.
Sponsored

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91 Refraction, 68 Camaro SS, 17 GTI
Coming from lighter cars, I’m also looking at the weight. Hence drooling 🤤 over that Porsche. I like the Vette too! I was thinking Stingray price and throw some mods on her. They really added a lot of cheddar $$$ to this version. But total respect ✊🏼
Hand building things of exotic materials tends to increase the cost significantly. /end sarcasm. Hahaha! My current dream car would be the Z06 w/ the Z07 package and carbon wheels.....absolute monster.

Mark5

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 M2
But the 2021 auto was much slower... what could be the differences besides possible suspension tuning? What was tuned specifically?

Watching the Supras VIR lap it had a few mistakes. I bet auto could be a few secs faster + a better lap. maybe a 2:52 in the supra at VIR in stock form

OP
OP
FLtrackdays

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
But the 2021 auto was much slower... what could be the differences besides possible suspension tuning? What was tuned specifically?
Time of day, temperature, humidity, amount of cars that have previously driven, all affect grip. Sounds crazy but that makes a BIG difference in my own car. In a previous year, different drivers, changes to the track surface…. the list goes on. It sounds minimal but it’s not 😉

MLG Tofu Shop

First Name
Goh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Vios
So I’ll ad my 2 cents on these last two days of tracking at Homestead. I passed every make and model of car known to man in my little ole Supra. Was I the fastest person/car out there? Nope. But I can’t even remember the number of people that have come up to me and asked what I did to the engine and the basic “Is that a Supra?”. She is quite competitive with almost any vehicle with proper rubber on her… And if you take it a pinch further (such as camber), like most track peeps do, she is a beast for the money. It really is quite shocking.

And yes, even one day makes a huge difference. I was much faster on the 2nd day. It was colder, track was dry, lots of soft compound down from the day before. So you definitely can’t compare previous days or years. Larger trends, yes. But not a few milliseconds.

The fact Toyota gives us a free track day to go play is incredibly smart. What a great platform to run with the best. I’m meeting tons of new Vette and Porsche track pals. I’m sure the other Supra track drivers on this forum are doing the same. This car is quite capable to say the least :). Toyota is building quite a name for itself on track. Well done 👏

I still haven’t seen a new Z06 on track yet. That would be awesome! If they were available and at MSRP, it would be quite the super car indeed. I’ve heard they are going for as much as $100k over sticker 😱
This is why some of the time attack guys really like the GR Supra, so much capability with this chassis.

OP
OP
FLtrackdays

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is why some of the time attack guys really like the GR Supra, so much capability with this chassis.
I think if more people took Toyota up on the free track day, they would be shocked 😱 and love this car even more 🥰. Get out there brother 🏁🏁and tell your friends to do the same!!!!

OP
OP
FLtrackdays

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
4B4DCE1C-A54A-432A-AB31-0017DE65EE6C.jpeg

My 1st time using the Garmin Catalyst. This is the leaderboard at Homestead Sebring so far for 2023… Again these are people only using my same lap timer- Garmin. I’m no 13 and I personally know no 6 and no 10. Carlo is pure stock. I’ve looked over his car and he‘s legit. Great guy & consistent driving on his part (with less HP 😂). No 10 is a great driver as well. Weekend track guy like me. Only suspension mods and tires.

It’s funny because we all were talking about a month ago about how slow our cars and times were that particular day. Absolutely track conditions make a huge difference.

BFFB9AE8-4003-4459-9F37-7DEEA5EAB605.jpeg
Sponsored