Clunk while in Corners?

strohw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 X3M, 2009 987.2, 2021 Supra
Today was my first track day with this car and it ended up not being a particularly good day. The very first session we went out the car started to exhibit an odd behavior that I'm going to try my best to describe. I always do track days with a buddy and we swap back and forth driving/passenger. I started the first session of the day and by the second lap my friend is asking me if I feel "that". I wasn't sure what he was referring to. This was my first time at this particular track and I was taking it easy trying to figure out the layout. By the time we finish the session he's adamant that something is not right with the car. He's feeling what best he could describe as a clunk clunk clunk while in corners.

So, second session comes up we swap seats and the very first lap we go out I feel it. It was much more obvious in the passenger seat and the best way I could describe it was a clunking feeling while go through corners that got worse the harder you pushed it. It was more obvious going through right hand corners than left. You get all your braking done and enter the corner holding a steady speed/line and you could feel, not hear a consistent clunk clunk clunk as the car would go through the corner. It would stop once you exited the corner and we never even got going fast enough for traction control to intervene.

The only mods I have to the car is some Burger wheel spacers. So we decide to take off the spacers and test again. While we had each wheel off we reached in and felt around for anything loose but we couldn't find anything. Next session comes up and first lap it's still doing it so we get off the track again. We were both pretty bummed at this point so we packed everything up and went home. On the way home I was thinking and I think that I've actually been experiencing this behavior on things like on/off ramps but I may have been contributing it to the crappy roads we have here. So sure enough I hit a couple of on ramps a bit hard on the way home and he's saying he can feel it, it's just not a prevalent. But now that you know what to look for you can feel it.

I'm going to call the dealership on Monday and get the car in but I was curious if anyone has experienced this? You don't experience the issue unless you start pushing the car harder in corners so I'm not excited to have a dealership try to diagnose a problem like this that may not be slapping them in the face.
Sponsored

Raidernation

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tungsten Silver 3.0 Premium Supra
Maybe your alignment is out of spec? These cars are known sometimes to come with out of wack factory alignments.

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
id try and isolate the sound and stick a go pro under the car. Seems like its gonna be a pain to chase it.

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray
I was about to ask you how it went there today and how the car was and if I need to pay attention to anything because Iā€™m going there tomorrow for my first time in this car (it will be retaining though, so it will be interesting).

Sorry to hear you didnā€™t have a good day. That seems like a hard issue to find. Could it be a wheel bearing? Guessing by your description, I would assume it feels like it speeds up/slows down according to the speed of the wheels.

Does it feel like the front, rear or both?

Hopefully it is just an alignment issue.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
I wonder if itā€™s sway bar issue. Might need to lube them good.

OP
OP

strohw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 X3M, 2009 987.2, 2021 Supra
Answers to some of the questions presented.

Shipping Spacers - I checked on those when I got the car and they were not present

Alignment - I had the alignment done a few weeks ago. The car would shift left or right under hard acceleration and the toe was out on front left and rear right wheel. Car tracks straight now and doesn't shift to either side.

Wheel Bearing - When we had each wheel up we tried to rock it before taking it off but I'll check again in my garage today.

Front Sway Bar Issue - With the wheels off I checked the end links and they were solid but that's the most I could do at the track. Dealer will have to check that one out.

Where is it Coming From - On our last run of the day my buddy was in the passenger seat and he pressed his feet hard to the floor boards and put his hand behind us on the sub box. He personally felt that it was primarily coming from the front. I'm not particularly good at feeling that stuff out unless it's obvious. To me it just felt like the car as a whole was doing it.
Sponsored