Driveway Labs 3-Piece Pre-Preg Carbon Fiber Aero Lip Kit

rwense

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Nitro Yellow A90 Supra, 10 Honda Fit Sport 5spd
I spent 20 years as an Army Green Beret working on transnational level security issues while educating and teaching myself how to build, race, and maintain race cars.

I sought out the right mentors and connections and my work is on and has been on nascars, champion rally cars, pikes peak finishers, formula drift cars, NASA national champion cars, scca national champion cars, Australian national champion cars, etc

i use solidworks, used Siemens NX9, I'm self-learning Ansys.

but all that doesn't matter if I can't win the love of a few angry boys and girls on an Internet forum. My heart is broken and I'm so invalidated 😭
I think the point that should be made here is, if you have that experience with solidworks, Siemens NX9, and such, why not design and test your own kits from scratch? I understand costs would be much higher considering the R&D work but if you design something that works, you could potentially work with other companies and license your design and so on.

I appreciate you trying to start a business and benefit a community, but at this rate I doubt you'll be winning much business within the community.

Before anyone says anything, I'm not without blame either, as I sold a handful of 3d printed Aimgain style rear spats. I only ever sold 3 (maybe 4 I can't remember) but felt bad afterword considering it's ripping off Aimgain. That and it took FOREVER printing, sanding, painting, and prepping. And I do 3d printing for a hobby so it just wasn't fun.

tl;dr, use that knowledge and background to design your own products (with collaboration from others possibly) to benefit the community rather than make copies.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Carl - Driveway Labs

Carl - Driveway Labs

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2021 Ascent Touring
OP
OP
Carl - Driveway Labs

Carl - Driveway Labs

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think the point that should be made here is, if you have that experience with solidworks, Siemens NX9, and such, why not design and test your own kits from scratch? I understand costs would be much higher considering the R&D work but if you design something that works, you could potentially work with other companies and license your design and so on.

I appreciate you trying to start a business and benefit a community, but at this rate I doubt you'll be winning much business within the community.

Before anyone says anything, I'm not without blame either, as I sold a handful of 3d printed Aimgain style rear spats. I only ever sold 3 (maybe 4 I can't remember) but felt bad afterword considering it's ripping off Aimgain. That and it took FOREVER printing, sanding, painting, and prepping. And I do 3d printing for a hobby so it just wasn't fun.

tl;dr, use that knowledge and background to design your own products (with collaboration from others possibly) to benefit the community rather than make copies.
I get what you're saying, parts like this are filler parts.

tell me how much money it is for a proper 3d scanner?

how about a 1 meter cube 3d printer?

if you think my dream job is to hustle knock off parts from ali, I think you're not even in the same realm.

however, the goal is not the money, the money is a tool to accomplish goals.

you know how much of my business comes from the forum? Maybe 2%, tops

OP
OP
Carl - Driveway Labs

Carl - Driveway Labs

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I figured you had seen all the military ones so I went in a different direction 🙃
there's a whole ass website apparently 😂😂😂

rwense

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Nitro Yellow A90 Supra, 10 Honda Fit Sport 5spd
I get what you're saying, parts like this are filler parts.

tell me how much money it is for a proper 3d scanner?

how about a 1 meter cube 3d printer?

if you think my dream job is to hustle knock off parts from ali, I think you're not even in the same realm.

however, the goal is not the money, the money is a tool to accomplish goals.

you know how much of my business comes from the forum? Maybe 2%, tops
I mean you don't necessarily NEED a multi thousand dollar scanner. With a majority of your parts a consumer grade scanner should do just fine.

You also don't necessarily need a 1m^2 printer. Just print in pieces and connect or better yet contract the work out. In my experience and from those I've talked to (there's multiple) as you get much larger than consumer grade you start dealing with a host of problems. Including bed warping, keeping a consistent temp across the bed, more consumables as the print head has to travel farther, etc. You can get an ender 5+ with an ender extender kit to go 500mm^3 but that's about as big as I'd go personally.

OP
OP
Carl - Driveway Labs

Carl - Driveway Labs

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I mean you don't necessarily NEED a multi thousand dollar scanner. With a majority of your parts a consumer grade scanner should do just fine.

You also don't necessarily need a 1m^2 printer. Just print in pieces and connect or better yet contract the work out. In my experience and from those I've talked to (there's multiple) as you get much larger than consumer grade you start dealing with a host of problems. Including bed warping, keeping a consistent temp across the bed, more consumables as the print head has to travel farther, etc. You can get an ender 5+ with an ender extender kit to go 500mm^3 but that's about as big as I'd go personally.
I'm working in 400mm cubes right now, my printing goals also extend far beyond bolt on parts for automotive applications

I'm down to open my brain door and just talk about random shit

this is for a company much much bigger than me that asked me for help with some parts Dev and printing. You guys get a small glimpse into my day and my big dream goals

for car stuff I'll be printing full proper aero kits

But for what I want to be doing I've already exceeded what my little hobby/low end scanners can do

71935180050__0BFD9179-EF4F-4B81-8086-3836C59A06BE.jpeg
Sponsored