inspections

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
Hey guys, have the annual inspections been expanded to cover more than safety and smog? Do they check for sound now too?
Might be moving back to LI, have an AA dp and AWS resonated exhaust. I guess this will be a problem with the new laws now?
Sponsored

somekindafuzz

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
There are a million rules for inspections. You can look up the whole mess of them somewhere on the DMV website. NYC is starting to adopt noise cameras like red light cameras so I wouldn't be surprised if it's part of the inspection now.

My general plan is going to the sketchiest place I can find, bonus points if they don't speak English, and give them $20 in cash for the sticker. Otherwise you have someone taking off wheels and such to check the brakes for you or giving you shit for any amount of tint. I'll need to do this again this month so I'll report back on how it went. No issues last year though.

OP
OP
Natek

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
I lived in NY for >30 years but I left before the muffler stuff went into effect... and apparently the tint laws now too. I saved all the OEM parts, I am wondering if I should risk leaving the AA catted dp in place and just flip out the mufflers.

somekindafuzz

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Update - got it done for $37. $7 for the inspection and $30 for whatever. Had my girlfriend drive it in since I don’t speak Spanish. She said the extra money was for the tints and because it has just over 15k miles or something like that. He just slapped a sticker on it, no actual inspection. Doesn’t matter to me - cheaper than a parking ticket.

OP
OP
Natek

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
Excellent! Thanks

OP
OP
Natek

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
So in prep for my return to long island, i just completed the 3000 mile drive with the supra. Happy to say no oil drop detected.

I went to a mavis to see how they are enforcing inspections. The SLEEP act technically does not say no modified exhaust, it says the exhaust cannot be louder than stock.

Nevertheless, it looks like the company stance is any exhaust that is not stock will fail inspection. I am not sure if this is the general policy of chain stores. I will probably just flip the stock back on.
Sponsored