Internal volume of sub box

Limoncello

First Name
Angel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 2.0L
Has anyone calculated the internal volume of the OEM sub box? I know there are holes in the box so let's just say they are not there and pretend it's all sealed up.
Also has anyone sealed all the holes? How did that effect bass? Better, worse?
The idea that I'm having is to seal all the holes in the sub box and do a proper port for a tuned frequency. Not knowing the specs of the OEM subs will make the port tuning a little more difficult.
Sponsored

Sam B

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
You definitely do not wanna even consider using the stock box. It’s really not worth your effort.
In the audio world, our stock Supra box would be considered along the lines of an AP enclosure. Aperiodic membrane I believe it’s spelled.

AP when done correct is very effective, however it’s alot of work to get to that point and alot of trial and error. AP is basically a slow leak in a sealed box.

There are a few examples on here of nice aftermarket boxes that you can replace the stock one with. I recommend that route to save you a lot of headache.

OP
OP

Limoncello

First Name
Angel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 2.0L
Thanks for the reply Sam B.
I can see how the OEM box can be an AP type enclosure due to all of the holes in the sheet metal and being covered with panels that have insulation attached to them.
What I want to do is run a bead of body panel adhesive along the body panels to seal any panel to panel gaps and then seal the larger holes with sheet metal and sealant to make a true sealed box. Then line the inside of the OEM box with either some audio insulation foam or sound deading material so the bass waves are not bouncing off of metal panels. Then I would install a port of a certain length and diameter to tune the output. But it would be difficult to find the proper size port because the specs of the woofer are not known. i.e. the xmax, fs, q, etc etc.
I could 3d print a port that is adjustable and find that sweet spot.

Sam B

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I definitely understand what you’re trying to do. Definitely curious how the stock mid/subs would react in a proper port tuned enclosure. I can see if I still have the old boxes. I am not sure if I do. I removed mine

One method is, go ahead and seal the box all up. And use cat litter to determine how much volume you have. You will need to add in. And then vacuum out. Then measure.

OP
OP

Limoncello

First Name
Angel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 2.0L
Hmm never thought of cat litter to find out volume. I was going to go all scientific method and measure with a tape measure. Lol

Sam B

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
You can use cat litter. Packing peanuts. Etc. that’s to get really exact volume. I would also sound deaden the inside really well. Check out resonix. Top dawg in the sound deadening game.

OP
OP

Limoncello

First Name
Angel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 2.0L
Thanks, I will check out resonix. I re-read your post above and you mentioned you removed the boxes. Are you talking about the plastic boxes that the woofers attach to or the whole metal structure? I just want to clear up any confusion of what I'm asking.

Teleguy11

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR, 2017 Highlander Limited Platinum
Has anyone calculated the internal volume of the OEM sub box? I know there are holes in the box so let's just say they are not there and pretend it's all sealed up.
Also has anyone sealed all the holes? How did that effect bass? Better, worse?
The idea that I'm having is to seal all the holes in the sub box and do a proper port for a tuned frequency. Not knowing the specs of the OEM subs will make the port tuning a little more difficult.
There are numerous posts of subwoofer upgrades on this forum. Some are focused on improving the stock speakers while others have chosen a separate sub box.
I personally chose to improve the stock subwoofer enclosures while adding ports. Literally a <$50 parts upgrade (+ my time) that improved bass response 10x.

20240312_130025.jpg

20240316_092039.jpg
Sponsored