Low Battery Warning?

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Will our cars notify us that our battery is low and should be replaced soon? Assuming it gradually loses charge overtime as opposed to leaving the lights on overnight or something. I still have original battery and have had since Oct 2019 so almost 4.5 years. When I went to start it today it kept making the starting sound like it was trying to start but wouldn't. I pressed the button to cancel it and pressed again to restart it and was fine. No warning lights or check engine lights anywhere and it drives just fine. The weird start thing has happened a couple other random times in the 4 years I've owned it, not sure why.

I know cold weather is harsh on batteries so would rather replace a little early and not get stranded somewhere but don't want to be too premature if I have another year left in it and it will warn me. Thanks dudes
Sponsored

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Will our cars notify us that our battery is low and should be replaced soon? Assuming it gradually loses charge overtime as opposed to leaving the lights on overnight or something. I still have original battery and have had since Oct 2019 so almost 4.5 years. When I went to start it today it kept making the starting sound like it was trying to start but wouldn't. I pressed the button to cancel it and pressed again to restart it and was fine. No warning lights or check engine lights anywhere and it drives just fine. The weird start thing has happened a couple other random times in the 4 years I've owned it, not sure why.

I know cold weather is harsh on batteries so would rather replace a little early and not get stranded somewhere but don't want to be too premature if I have another year left in it and it will warn me. Thanks dudes
If you own a modern vehicle with ECU control over the electrics incorporating a min voltage threshold which they all do you need a battery health/load tester. It simulates starting load to check battery capacity among other things. Here an idea of what's out there. They will be cheaper in your location for sure. I test all my vehicle batteries around every 6 months or so.
It's not like the old days anymore when cold cranking and dimming headlights with load applied the battery gave you warning it was getting sad. These days they often just drop a cell due to shorting out at the bottom of the battery case with plate material. One minute they are working fine the next they wont make the voltage threshold under even system load before starting.
Here's a get me out of trouble on the side of the road trick if this happens to you. Remove the battery and rotate it around a bit and and tip it briefly on it's side at an angle then refit it. You'll often find it will get the car running again and get you home at least before it fails again. Batteries these days can almost be considered a "hard time replaceable item" If it makes 4 years just change it out anyway. Batteries in some modern cars are no simple task to change due to where they are located.
https://premium-diagnostics.com.au/...wDTk9QWwNmMOvubp2PFb519v0FM23jLhoCopsQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
OP
OP
Supraboi7

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
If you own a modern vehicle with ECU control over the electrics incorporating a min voltage threshold which they all do you need a battery health/load tester. It simulates starting load to check battery capacity among other things. Here an idea of what's out there. They will be cheaper in your location for sure. I test all my vehicle batteries around every 6 months or so.
It's not like the old days anymore when cold cranking and dimming headlights with load applied the battery gave you warning it was getting sad. These days they often just drop a cell due to shorting out at the bottom of the battery case with plate material. One minute they are working fine the next they wont make the voltage threshold under even system load before starting.
Here's a get me out of trouble on the side of the road trick if this happens to you. Remove the battery and rotate it around a bit and and tip it briefly on it's side at an angle then refit it. You'll often find it will get the car running again and get you home at least before it fails again. Batteries these days can almost be considered a "hard time replaceable item" If it makes 4 years just change it out anyway. Batteries in some modern cars are no simple task to change due to where they are located.
https://premium-diagnostics.com.au/...wDTk9QWwNmMOvubp2PFb519v0FM23jLhoCopsQAvD_BwE
Gotcha weird enough I just checked in Bimmerlink at it says state of charge is 79% - seems pretty good for a 2019 battery so I wonder how accurate that is. I just picked up a battery from BMW that is 95 mAh but looks like my stock one is actually 105 mAh so hopefully that still works after I code and register it.

Maybe ill ride around with the spare in the trunk in case I need it lol

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Gotcha weird enough I just checked in Bimmerlink at it says state of charge is 79% - seems pretty good for a 2019 battery so I wonder how accurate that is. I just picked up a battery from BMW that is 95 mAh but looks like my stock one is actually 105 mAh so hopefully that still works after I code and register it.

Maybe ill ride around with the spare in the trunk in case I need it lol
State of charge is almost certainly just voltage and not how much the capacity of the battery actually is. You can check sates of charge with a voltmeter but you need a load test to check battery capacity. A battery can have great voltage and looks to be fully charged but under load the voltage collapses.

Phil

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
Regarding vehicles with lots of electronics, our two that fit that description do give a warning that can be confusing. My 2014 Mazda 3S GT with tech package would show an iEloop malfunction warning. This typically indicates the battery is getting weak. Our Lexus tells us to "Shift into Park before turning off the engine" or something like that. Again, that reveals that the battery is weak and needs replacing..

OP
OP
Supraboi7

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Regarding vehicles with lots of electronics, our two that fit that description do give a warning that can be confusing. My 2014 Mazda 3S GT with tech package would show an iEloop malfunction warning. This typically indicates the battery is getting weak. Our Lexus tells us to "Shift into Park before turning off the engine" or something like that. Again, that reveals that the battery is weak and needs replacing..
Yeah nothing goofy has happened on mine yet, but I have seen some people with weird errors that crop up once the battery gets low. I think Im gonna replace it tomorrow just to be safe

OP
OP
Supraboi7

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Put a nice battery tender on it and charge it to 100%…
During the 4 years of owning it, did you run a battery tender on it?
Never charged it or had a tender on it, was under the impression the battery would have to be replaced in the 4-5 year time frame and couldn't just charge it forever. I think I'll swap it out tomorrow so I don't get stranded somewhere lol, better safe than sorry.
Sponsored