bmyota

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 MT Supra
New to the forums as well sorry if this isn't the right category

I recently picked up my MT A90 yesterday (waited a year)

I learned the very basics of manual on an old Mini Cooper, but this supra is basically my first time actually driving a manual on a regular basis currently at 150 km. I can drive from 1 place to another but I get off from 1st super slowly and I'm not sure if I'm not giving it enough gas or releasing the clutch too quickly. I also struggle with starting from hills as sometimes I roll back instantly and sometimes I don't, not sure how the hill assist works. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Some questions not related to driving, is there no accessory mode for the '23s? when I get in my car and push the start button nothing happens but the car's electronics are all on once I unlock the car and get in. Is there a way to know if I have auto rev match on or off, same with hill start assist? Are there any important settings I should change in the cars system? or any general information I should know? (I'm not very knowledgable on cars sorry)

Sorry for asking all these dumb questions, thank you all in advance
Sponsored

ApexTheory

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 GR Supra 3.0 Premium MT
The clutch has a delay valve which is quite noticeable in 1st and 2nd. When you find the bite point, you sort of need to come off a touch slower than other manual cars, or it can be jerky. Some people remove this restrictor from the clutch line, but it requires a bit of mechanical knowledge.

If you are taking off slowly, but not stalling, then you are giving it "enough" gas. If it is jerky, you are likely coming off the clutch too fast. Try giving a bit more gas, balancing the speed of the clutch release with the throttle to get a smooth acceleration. Work up slowly...until you start spinning tires on launch heh.

Hill assist should work the first time you take off after stopping on a hill. If you start tap dancing on the clutch/throttle then it will disable itself.

Auto-rev match is a toggle (I believe in the sport mode configuration menu). It should remember the setting for the each mode you program (normal/sport).

Hill-assist is always enabled, I don't know of a way to change the setting.

Other than that, I would suggest you tweak the audio/equalizer settings for better sound quality. Follow this thread: https://www.supramkv.com/threads/how-to-improve-oe-sub-bass-quality-and-eliminate-vibrations.5092/

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
Welcome!

First reply answered most already :)

I'll just add some bits and pieces:

- The auto start stop will always be active when you turn the car on, even if you had switched it off on your last drive, so you can either:
1. Click sport mode - this deactivates it automatically.
2. Click the start stop button only and stay in Comfort mode.
3. Code it out - requires an app and some know-how.

If the weather is very cold/and or the car was sitting a few weeks undriven, the start stop feature will not be active when you start the car, until the engine has warmed up.

- Hill start assist is decent in this car, go on a quiet hill and test it so you can really get a feel for it.
- The main thing to know is it will only work if you're stopping and stay in 1st gear. If while stopped you put it in neutral at a light, then go back in first gear, the hill hold will have disabled, so in that case unless you have the biting point and gas just right, you'll roll.

The clutch in this car is very forgiving, I think only twice I messed something up, like coming to a light distracted in 3rd instead if 1st and even then when most cars would stall, this one didn't, it was just upset but the engine is very resilient to keep running (I was upset!).

- My only other advice would be:

Rear end traction: talking from my near-miss experience, be careful with it in 2nd and 3rd, if you floor it too soon out of a corner and suddenly the torque surges, it can really destabilize/snake the rear end, even with TC and safety stuff all on.

- Battery:
This car has a massive AGM battery in the trunk under the felt.
If you're not gonna daily it and it'll sit say over 2 weeks, I'd highly reccomended buying a CTEK MXS 5.0 to keep the battery safe and charged - if this car's batter gets very low and/or flat, it can start causing all sorts of problems and error codes all spawning from this root cause, and a new one needs coding by a technician.

If you have any other questions let us know, there's some very knowledgeable guys here.

Zoomie

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 RSX, 2021 4Runner, 2023 GR Supra 3.0MT
I'm new to this car but I learned on my '05 RSX. The RSX had far less power (160 new) and it's very mechanical, so it taught me how to drive manual properly. Put another way: it definitely let me know if I did something wrong. I still don't heel-toe well, but you can clutch-in brake without feeling too bad.

The Supra is far more forgiving of mistakes. You'll still wear the clutch faster if your technique is bad but the torque of this car just powers through.

The iManual that blips the throttle for you on downshift is not a bad thing. Unless you're a track star who can effortlessly heel-toe, I'd leave it on. Personally I love it. The car sounds so good pulling up to a light.

I expected to hate the 1st/2nd clutch delay valve more than I do. I can feel what people are talking about but it's not a show stopper for me. Same with the hill assist, which I barely notice.

I bought bimmercode to turn off the active sound design, use auto stop/start memory, and to start in Sport Individual. It's worth looking into, but it's pricy for 'convenience' features. YMMV.

ApexTheory

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 GR Supra 3.0 Premium MT
Great replies above.

One more tip that can help you on a hill (but works on flat ground too)...if you have the parking brake on, it will automatically disengage when you start rolling forward.
Sponsored