Shopping used. What to look for?

hamsandwich

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
car
Hey all,
New to forum, did a search but couldn't find the answer. I'm looking at 21+ premiums, will more than likely have to get one out of state, so the chance of seeing the car in person before purchase is slim. I know this is a broad question but are there any particular problems or issues I should be aware of or ask about? Any advice in general about buying a car sight unseen? I've read these cars are fairly reliable but would prefer one with less than 15k miles, any known issues or maintenance that needs to be done around this mileage? Anything else I should know? Thanks.
Sponsored

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I highly recommend you fly out there and see the car before signing anything.. unless they can deliver to you (like Carvana) and you can decide on the spot.

I've bought many cars in my life time and even bought a used FiestaST to try Carvana's App, etc and it's a hit or miss what car you get especially used cars. You're just paying for someone else's problem if you asked me.

If you can, buy new.

OP
OP
hamsandwich

hamsandwich

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
car
I highly recommend you fly out there and see the car before signing anything.. unless they can deliver to you (like Carvana) and you can decide on the spot.

I've bought many cars in my life time and even bought a used FiestaST to try Carvana's App, etc and it's a hit or miss what car you get especially used cars. You're just paying for someone else's problem if you asked me.

If you can, buy new.
Was thinking buying a low mileage car would mitigate most issues, preventing me from having to fly out. Luckily I can fly for free but want to avoid the hassle.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Was thinking buying a low mileage car would mitigate most issues, preventing me from having to fly out. Luckily I can fly for free but want to avoid the hassle.
Yeah, low milage can mean a few things.. owner got tired of the car real quick, repo car, was a dealer car or trade or a manufacture employee car, or has some sort of issue including defect or mild accident.. or could be a perfect car with just low mileage.

It's entirely up to you, but if there's no 7 day moneyback guarantee or whatever offered at most big name used car places, I would consider flying out and looking at the car even if it is a hassle.

The car I bought from Cavana did not show any repair work done, but there was definite sign of body work done. I mean it was a cheap experiment with the FiestaST, so I didn't care, but if you're spending like 50K on a car (might be just nickels and dimes for you), I would go the extra mile to verify everything.

The hassle of dealing with sub-par body work repair or oil consumption issue, or what not can be an even bigger headache.

I would also suggest not trusting CarFax in its entirety. Some of the more recent incidents do no show up.

GL with the purchase, not trying to scare you or anything, just thought I'd put my 2 cents out there to be diligent.

OP
OP
hamsandwich

hamsandwich

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
car
Yeah, low milage can mean a few things.. owner got tired of the car real quick, repo car, was a dealer car or trade or a manufacture employee car, or has some sort of issue including defect or mild accident.. or could be a perfect car with just low mileage.

It's entirely up to you, but if there's no 7 day moneyback guarantee or whatever offered at most big name used car places, I would consider flying out and looking at the car even if it is a hassle.

The car I bought from Cavana did not show any repair work done, but there was definite sign of body work done. I mean it was a cheap experiment with the FiestaST, so I didn't care, but if you're spending like 50K on a car (might be just nickels and dimes for you), I would go the extra mile to verify everything.

The hassle of dealing with sub-par body work repair or oil consumption issue, or what not can be an even bigger headache.

I would also suggest not trusting CarFax in its entirety. Some of the more recent incidents do no show up.

GL with the purchase, not trying to scare you or anything, just thought I'd put my 2 cents out there to be diligent.
Appreciate the advice!
Sponsored