Where should enthusiasts live in NC?

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
My wife and I are considering moving from FL to NC for a change. I figured I'd ask around regarding the "enthusiast" scene and get recommendations on what general areas to consider that will support our interests in cars and outdoors activities.

• We like driving. I'm fine with the Cars and Coffee scene, but we mainly get our kicks with random/weekend rolls, spirited cruises, drag strips, autocross, and looking to get more into HPDE. I'd love to build another drift car, as well. Not sure what the grassroots drift scene looks like in NC.
  • We should have a fairly capable 4x4 half ton truck soon, so I'm interested in light off roading (not really rock crawling) to get some family time in solitude as well as potentially getting ATVs or a Side by Side.
  • Outside of that, we're a dual income+one child household, both remote employees, and we value a balance of conveniences (good internet, Costco, quick access to cultural activities) and nature (hiking, snow sports, etc.).
Where should we move in NC?
Sponsored

JR Supra

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 toyota GR supra 3.0 premium
Next summer Im moving to Highpoint NC to attend college so ill be there with a supra:cool:

Rhane

First Name
Rhane
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 A91-MT, '22 Mustang GT, '13 FR-S
I think Charlotte would make the most sense. It basically checks off all your requirements. I have some family there and they only have good things to say. I think their car scene is relatively active as well especially due to the motorsports presence. Can't really speak on the "nature" aspect, but I know there's multiple parks and hiking trails within a 1-2 hour radius

Rensuhlo

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Having just moved from NC, avoid Raleigh / Charlotte.

Asheville has amazing roads and plenty of ourdoor activities and is close to the tail of the dragon.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
No perfect answer so a lot of it depends on what your priorities are. If you want to be in the epicenter of accessible tracks -- drag strip, road course/HPDE -- then Charlotte area is probably the best location. There's a lot of Cars and Coffee and derivative spin offs as well, if you're into that. Outside of the city there are plenty of good driving areas and outdoorsy things to do. There's also Uwharrie just east that has camping, 4x4 offroad, etc.. If you decide the Charlotte "area" (I say area because I wouldn't live in the city/Mecklenburg county) is it then I would actually buy in SC just across the boarder because of the reduced taxes and no vehicle inspection. Side note, I would keep your FL tags/registration if possible since most NC counties have annual taxes and inspection, which fuckin blows. Also noting that NC income tax is rather abusive and I'm actually planning to move back to FL someday because of that alone. I would try to find a way to keep FL residency if possible.

Asheville area is beautiful and has great driving but is a bit isolated, IMO. I'm a fan of the coastal aread around Wilmington/Carolina beach area as well.

OP
OP

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
@AHP I really appreciate your input - the vehicle inspections (annoying) and taxes (really annoying) are definitely on my mind and one of the things I really value about FL, though we are looking for nature not offered here. I've been asking around others are also saying Charlotte based on the criteria I've outlined. "epicenter of accessible tracks" sounds great. Not looking to buy - just rent while we try it out. We are worried about the isolated nature of Asheville, but we'll check it out for formality's sake.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. We're headed up this weekend for a week to scout things out.

Kentyre

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 MT Supra
Live in NC just outside of Charlotte. I tavel a lot for work and I haven't found any better place to live. Beach and mountains are within driving distance. Charlotte motor speedway is nearby and hosts plenty of automotive events. The city of Charlotte is a bit underwhelming but I've never liked citys anyway so its never bothered me. Best driving and hiking are definitly around Ashville and the blue ridge parkway however.
Sponsored