First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Anyone following?

https://www.toyota.com/racing/tgrna/gr-cup

Lower price/starter point to enter the world of motor sport racing. Not to mention direct competition to the MX5 Cup. Real track time development. Talk about making a good car even better!

IMG_2187.jpeg
Sponsored

i3igpete

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0L 8AT
Where did you find a price?

I must be speed reading too fast.
Found it on a separate press release:

A GR Cup car will cost $125,000. Full-season costs will vary depending on how much teams spend on equipment and transportation with estimates from $15-35K per event. So a competitive full season probably could be accomplished in the $250,000-$300,000 range

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.

A GR Cup car will cost $125,000. Full-season costs will vary depending on how much teams spend on equipment and transportation with estimates from $15-35K per event. So a competitive full season probably could be accomplished in the $250,000-$300,000 range
Does that price include 10 engine rebuilds for when you oil starve the engine at any track that has right turns?

AndyK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nitro Yellow MT
Dry sump is cool, but isn't the problem still with oil not returning to the pan quick enough?
I had a GR86, there were 2 issues

1) Oil pick up tube would get clogged with excess oil pan seal silicone. I had mine cleaned out and pan resealed.
2) Oil pressure would drop from 65 to 20 on hard right hand turns, possibly due to oil being pushed towards one corner in the pan. The problem with that assumption is that baffled oil pans did not help the issue.

Another thing is I tracked mine 20+ times on 90+F Cali heat pushing a very hard pace, using 0-20W synthetic oil (oil every 2 track days filter every 4) and had 0 issues. I mean riverside at buttonwillow on 200TW tires is the price location for the oil starvation to kick in and mine did fine.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I had a GR86, there were 2 issues

1) Oil pick up tube would get clogged with excess oil pan seal silicone. I had mine cleaned out and pan resealed.
2) Oil pressure would drop from 65 to 20 on hard right hand turns, possibly due to oil being pushed towards one corner in the pan. The problem with that assumption is that baffled oil pans did not help the issue.

Another thing is I tracked mine 20+ times on 90+F Cali heat pushing a very hard pace, using 0-20W synthetic oil (oil every 2 track days filter every 4) and had 0 issues. I mean riverside at buttonwillow on 200TW tires is the price location for the oil starvation to kick in and mine did fine.
All too familiar. I had to have an oil pan built for one of my cars because it was known for doing the same thing. It was pretty scary until I got it resolved.

OP
OP
FLtrackdays

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5

When you factor in travel, the car, race team, consumables… Sounds about right. There is prize money if really serious. Most the guys I met in MX5 cup could come out even or ahead. But they were in the top positions at Sick Sideways. Now the former owner consults for big race teams or million/billionaires moving their 15 yo kids up in the programs out there.

So yeah, it’s expensive as shit. But it’s cool Toyota is going head to head with Mazda in the entry point racing crowd (GT4 - our cars, and others). Sounds like they’re all in. So we’ll see more and more product development as these guys race the crap out of them 🤩 - what I loved about the MX5, so many solutions to keep that car on track, any conditions 🥵 🥶 ⛈