Featured 2018/2019 Toyota Supra - First Prototype Spotted!

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by Administrator, Sep 7, 2016.

Sep 7, 2016
  1. Administrator Administrator Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    Supra
    Garage Profiles:
    After years of rumors and speculation we are happy to show you the very FIRST LOOK at the 2018/19 Toyota Supra out testing on public roads in Germany!!

The Toyota-BMW joint venture through which the 2018/19 Supra has been created will also spawn a BMW Z5 roadster with rumors suggesting that Toyota will provide the hybrid technology for the sports car while BMW will perform most of the development work on the rear wheel drive chassis and engines.

While the first sightings of the BMW Z5 confirm that it will be a convertible, this Supra MKV prototype is a coupe. Based on the beautiful Toyota FT-1 concept, this 2018/19 Toyota Supra early prototype is seen here sporting basic design cues from the concept that wowed the world in January 2014 at the North American International Auto Show. Obviously, this is a very early prototype and naturally features some parts bin placeholder items (i.e. headlights and tail lights) which will be replaced by actual production parts later in the testing process.

Toyota has stated that the Toyota FT-1 concept was made 10% larger for more stage presence and it is immediately apparent from this prototype that the next production Supra will be much smaller than the sizable FT-1 concept which measured over 184 inches in length underpinned by a 107.9 inch wheelbase. A 10-percent decrease in size would result in a Supra measuring 177 inches in length with a 104 inch wheelbase, consistent with rumors that the next-gen Supra would be similar in size to the Porsche 911.

Also of interest and perhaps in an intentional nod (or simply some parts bin sharing) to the joint Toyota-BMW project, the wheels on this prototype resemble the wheels on the recently released BMW M4 GTS, while the digital+physical gauge cluster resembles those on the newest and upcoming BMW models.

Toyota Supra 1.jpg Toyota Supra 2.jpg Toyota Supra 3.jpg Toyota Supra 4.jpg Toyota Supra 5.jpg Toyota Supra 6.jpg Toyota Supra 7.jpg Toyota Supra 8.jpg Toyota Supra 9.jpg Toyota Supra 10.jpg Toyota Supra 12.jpg Toyota Supra 11.jpg Toyota Supra 13.jpg Toyota Supra 14.jpg Toyota Supra 15.jpg Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 6.13.37 AM.jpg

And some comparison images to the FT-1 Concept.

Toyota Supra Comparison1.jpg

Toyota Supra Comparison2.jpg

Toyota Supra Comparison3.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    Craigy and Wally World like this.
  2. Sep 7, 2016
  3. <TC OFF>

<TC OFF> Member

Car(s):
    350z
    Yesss finally! It's definitely sized down from the concept car just like Toyota said it'd be. Perfect size IMO. Doesn't have the exotic long look anymore but I'd rather it be compact and nimble (and hopefully light).

Spoiler doesn't seem to be as dramatic as before, but hopefully it's still an active spoiler like the concept.

Craigy likes this.
  4. Sep 7, 2016
  5. black-supra

black-supra Active Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    Very Fast
    Like the overall shape and size but two huge aspects of the car still completely hidden - the the front and rear end designs. The tail lights don't even look like production lights but just off the shelf parts used as placeholders for now. The front end looks extra long and bulbous on purpose to throw use off. Hope there's an FT-1 style front fascia under there.

Oh and nice double hump roof just like the concept!

Craigy likes this.
  6. Sep 7, 2016
  7. OP

Administrator Administrator Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    Supra
    Garage Profiles:
    Added some comparison images between the prototype and FT-1 Concept.

8. Sep 7, 2016
  9. Nadeshot!

Nadeshot! New Member

Car(s):
    My trusty Jeep
    Let's hope. It looks decidedly retro (in a bad way) from what is visible. I'm really hoping some more of the FT1 styling makes it to production.

10. Sep 7, 2016
  11. Villa Jonny

Villa Jonny Active Member

Tech
    Car(s):
    2016 Toyota Avalon 2016 Toyota Camry
    Haha this mule/ prototype has a lot of people on the edge. I'm gonna keep waiting to see the final result. I like. Xd

12. Sep 7, 2016
  13. Turbo GFX New Member

Car(s):
    MKV GTI
    Nice gauges. Looks like there's lots of room to display some nice graphics and info in between the physical outlines of the speedo and tach. Would love to see Audi style navigation and car controls all being done in that space.

14. Sep 7, 2016
  15. AZ Wildcat Member

Car(s):
    Hoping for new Supra
    Definitely not a GT size or styled car. Props to Toyota for making the MKV Supra a proper sports car!

Can't really tell front or rear design yet but the overall roof and trunk line is pretty sweet.

toyota-supra-6-jpg.jpg

16. Sep 7, 2016
  17. OP

Administrator Administrator Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    Supra
    Garage Profiles:
    More looks

2018-19 Toyota Supra-1.jpg 2018-19 Toyota Supra-2.jpg 2018-19 Toyota Supra-3.jpg 2018-19 Toyota Supra-4.jpg 2018-19 Toyota Supra-5.jpg 2018-19 Toyota Supra-6.jpg 2018-19 Toyota Supra-7.jpg 2018-19 Toyota Supra-8.jpg 2018-19 Toyota Supra-9.jpg 2018-19 Toyota Supra-10.jpg

gymratter, Craigy and Supra93 like this.
  18. Sep 7, 2016
  19. gymratter

gymratter Active Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    Silver Spur & F-150
    Looks like modern day Supra too me.

supra.png

vb22, Supra93, Craigy and 1 other person like this.
  20. Sep 7, 2016
  21. Villa Jonny

Villa Jonny Active Member

Tech
    Car(s):
    2016 Toyota Avalon 2016 Toyota Camry
    I definitely see the resemblance now.

22. Sep 7, 2016
  23. FRS-Man

FRS-Man Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    Hot Lava FR-S
    This view shows how it's nice and wide. The height to width ratio is spot on! Now I'm all antsy waiting for the next set of more revealing pics. :spaz:

toyota-supra-11-jpg.jpg

Craigy likes this.
  24. Sep 7, 2016
  25. Levi Member

Car(s):
    Alfa Romeo
    Glad the hood is not ugly long as the Mercedes-AMG GT. Like that it looks compact. Hopefully it will be lighter than a Porsche Cayman. Unfortunately knowing how cheap BMW is, I doubt it will have a transaxle.

gymratter and Craigy like this.
  26. Sep 7, 2016
  27. Supraman Active Member

Car(s):
    IS300 / Xterra
    Looks like they are keeping the nose...none the less, it's about damn time something is shown.

28. Sep 7, 2016
  29. Supraman Active Member

Car(s):
    IS300 / Xterra
    This obviously is the 1st test mules out. Meaning: unofficial wheels, head/tail lamps, possibly mirrors, steering wheel, seats, and gauges. In disguise the front does remind me of the old Eclipse. Positive thing is most of the lines if you can somewhat make them out do line up with the FT1. I don't see side scoops but maybe they are hiding really well or saving that for a later test model. It's length is shorter than I thought. Hard to see this being a 2+2.

Craigy likes this.