2019 Toyota Supra Prototype Reveals Production Intent Design/Parts

Who do you think is behind the wheel of the Supra?

• White guy

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • Asian guy

Votes: 23 63.9%

• Total voters

edzg87

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 Subaru BRZ, 2016 Ford Focus RS, 2014 Mazda3
Can't wait till we get to see the car get more and more uncamouflaged. I'm hoping by mid next year we will get a better idea of what the car looks like, the powertrain, and transmission.

RDS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Corolla
I wonder what wheels they use in the latest prototype ?

I originally thought it's BMW Style 360 , but then Style 360 is only 16-inch , and judged by photo from @BrettS , where the car is only about 9x the diameter of the wheels , which makes Style 360 impossible because that would meant the car is only 144-inch (3657.6-mm) ; I expect the car is about 4300-mm (169-inch) to 4500-mm (177-inch) , so that roughly meant the wheels the prototype use being 19-inch (BMW Style 296 ?) .

That also bare a question , if 19-inch looks so tiny on Supra , what do Supra need to fill the wheel arches ?!

Here's what I meant by the car is about 9x the diameter of the wheels .

CrwOOYA.jpg

avat2v

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Civic V12?
is it just me or the prototype actually looks not rigid?
maybe they put somebody kits to make it not look like actual car
so we will think the car as fugly as fuck but actually it doesn't show it's true color yet

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
i hope there is fake paddling on those fenders. they look a little too high to me.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the front fenders being higher than the rear. Guess we'll see how they pull it all together though.

BrettS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 gti
Vehicle Showcase
Man this car is getting a lot of people butthurt. I think it looks good, aside from the rear, I'm not won over on that quite yet. Everyone wanting a "new" mkiv is gunna have a tough pill to swallow I think.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
i think a lot of people are judging it base on the camo. this is really dumb, they don't seem to understand that there is faux padding on the car that is hiding the design.

on a different note i see a lot of 2000GT in this car.

toyota-supra-2000GT.jpg

Last edited:

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
i think a lot of people are judging it base on the camo. this is really dumb, they don't seem to understand that there is faux paddling on the car that is hiding the design.
You never get the full idea until the camo is removed, but I don't believe they have added padding onto the fenders. Usually the added camo parts are pretty ugly and oddly shaped, almost like putting a box around the parts they want to hide like the front end of the first car that was spotted. There's very little left on this last car that we're not getting the full picture of, but it's not going to look right until we see the whole thing.

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
i think a lot of people are judging it base on the camo. this is really dumb, they don't seem to understand that there is faux padding on the car that is hiding the design.
I could be wrong, but I don't think they're hiding a lot at this point. The front bumper is very suspect of course. The shape of the headlights are not what I expected nor common with the Toyota design language so I'm a little curious there as well and there is a ridge where the headlight is not flush with the fender which seems odd... but I'm doubtful that they have built fake, but nicely formed fenders that line up with a fake, but nicely formed hood. Now maybe they cut up and modified the BMW fenders and hood and stuck them on there to throw us off.... entirely possible. Just not a common practice at this stage in development. But they have been extremely secretive with this car, so uncommon practices to keep the secret hidden may be the game they're playing.

There is little bolts on the front bumper, the hood, front fenders and rear of the car, those are panels bolted on to hide whats beneath.
It's possible, and I'm waiting to see what's revealed, but riveting a car together is a common practice in prototype development. This isn't a strange thing to see. Some that I see are oddly placed though, so again, it's possible.

"Building the Screw Body.
A key operation within functional build is the "screw body" evaluation. What occurs here is that prototypes are built from parts stamped with production dies. The assembly is performed using screws or rivets in place of welds. This allows the engineers to determine the effects of the assembly operation on the mating of the parts. As subassemblies are built up to the final assembly, there is, of course, less acceptable variance from design specification, and once the first level subassembly is passed, the print spec comes into play. But early in the build, it is often the case that there is no need to rework dies to bring parts into tolerance. The total assembly is what is important.
One benefit of the screw body process is that it provides the ability for manufacturing engineers to tune-in the placement of spot welds for actual vehicle production."
http://www.adandp.media/articles/building-better-vehicles-via-functional-build

Last edited:

Villa Jonny

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus [V8] RCF, Camry [V6] SE
Vehicle Showcase
I swear, I saw these exact comments in another forum! lol

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
I accept defeat.

In my defense, I work for Toyota and often deal with pre-production vehicles. We don't typically go to these lengths to hide a Camry. Usually a development mule will be in heavy camo, but they clearly look like not a production body. Maybe this is just how it's done now with 3D printing or whatever they do to make these camo panels (I watched the video on mute so may have missed that) where they used to just slap stuff together but now can easily make nice looking parts.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Thanks for posting that camo video again. Yeah I think there must be some padding, at least on the fenders and the b-pillar/hips. Looking for the rivets is the easiest way to tell, aside from just the general un-natural look.

The hoodline though might be fairly high... seems like those windshield wipers are tucked under there without a lot of room to spare.

But definitely way too soon to jump to conclusions. They've got the general shape of a great-looking sportscar, so they're 90% of the way there.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
thanks to Carmaker1 for posting photos of the MKIV prototype. i have faith it will look way better once the camo comes off.

Yes, I had seen those stylings proposals from JZA80 (MKIV) programme. Those photos of clay models are from between January and July 1990. I believe the final design for the A80 was completed in the summer of 1990 and the final production body fully signed-off by the end of 1990 (roughly 2 1/2 years before 1993 production). The first MKIII-based mules were built in the fall of 1990 and then the first actual prototypes, were built in 1991. Visit here for some info as well.

PrototypeSupra.jpg
toyota_supra_twin_turbo_wallpaper3.jpg
Sponsored