2023 Supra 3.0 Premium Manual 6MT vs. F87 M2 Comp 6MT

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota
Currently looking for a manual sports coupe and drawn between the manual supra and m2 comp in manual. Has anyone here driven a M2C before and now driven a manual supra? would appreciate valuable input between driving experiences/dynamics between the two cars. I've read plenty of reviews of early year supra's in auto and M2C's but haven't seen a real manual vs. manual comparison.
Sponsored

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
Iā€™ve only driven an auto M2C and Supra. So I donā€™t have a helpful opinion to share, but this video might be of interest to you:

RandomGuy7890

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
I can speak a bit on this. I've had both an auto and manual Supra as well as the 2023 G87 M2 (automatic). My ex-partner had a 2019 M2 Comp manual.

In terms of driving experience, in my personal opinion the M2 Comp is more fun than the manual Supra but I believe the manual Supra might be a better for a track toy. If you're also considering the G87 M2, it's less fun than the manual Supra but overall a better car in terms of practicality, luxury features, and a track weapon.

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
I can speak a bit on this. I've had both an auto and manual Supra as well as the 2023 G87 M2 (automatic). My ex-partner had a 2019 M2 Comp manual.

In terms of driving experience, in my personal opinion the M2 Comp is more fun than the manual Supra but I believe the manual Supra might be a better for a track toy. If you're also considering the G87 M2, it's less fun than the manual Supra but overall a better car in terms of practicality, luxury features, and a track weapon.

Could you elaborate on which aspects of the driving experience you feel make the M2C more fun than the Supra?

puckshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 CU Later A91-MT
He's asking about the F87. I don't think comparisons to the G87 are that relevant honestly. It changed dramatically.

OP
OP
WeekendWarriorz
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota

would like to hear your thoughts on driving aspects between the two.

the g87 is an ugly pig that weighs 3800+ lbs. not even considering it as an option since Iā€™d rather own a GT350 or Zl1 LE if I wanted a heavy car

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT
I've driven all variants of the F87 including the CS.

The F87 is effectively the reincarnation of the E46 in terms of size.

I personally preferred the N55 18 LCI variant of the M2 the best because in a car that small, you don't really need all the power immediately.

Chassis wise, it's based off a 2 series so there is compromise built in aka it's not that stiff compared to the Supra.

Usability wise, it's not even a question, the M2 can fit 5 people in it LOL.

Pricing wise, an F87C is definitely cheaper and kind of a deal at the moment.

However, I personally never liked the S55 engine other than in the M4 GTS (they drive amazing, they just suck to own).

Another matter is that the F87C is a chonky boi. That thing is very close in weight to an M3/4 and that's not the point.

18 LCI M2 6MT ftw.

Kolme

First Name
Kolme
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
If you're also considering the G87 M2, it's less fun than the manual Supra but overall a better car in terms of practicality, luxury features, and a track weapon.
Deff better for practicality and features. Track weapon? Itā€™s a wash it seems from reviews utilizing the same track, tires, climate. No doubt the Supra also has a presence - the M2 has a snout lol.

RandomGuy7890

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
Could you elaborate on which aspects of the driving experience you feel make the M2C more fun than the Supra?
The F87 M2 was more playful and has a bit more steering feel compared to the Supra. The power delivery was better up top for the S55.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT
You're splitting hairs between them honestly.

Which interior/exterior do you like more? Get that one.

People rave about how the Supra has the best factory BMW shifter, but to me it still feels like a BMW shifter. It's still very nerfed. Note that I've not driven them back to back, but I'd argue the similarities outweigh the differences.

If you were anywhere near me, I'd let you drive the Supra. It's probably impossible to get a test drive from a dealer.

OP
OP
WeekendWarriorz
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota
Congrats!

May I know what ultimately made you swing towards the Supra?
So the M2 Comp while itā€™s a car Iā€™d love to own, prices for low mileage examples are around MSRP when the car came out. Itā€™s 2023 moving onto 2024 so a 2019-2020 M2C is now going to be 5 years oldā€¦. Vs getting a now 2024 supra with 0 miles on it at msrp with a manual transmission. Both cars have great tuning potential, b58 is more reliable, and I donā€™t need back seats. Seems like a no brainer in terms of value.

the only thing I wish the Supra had which M cars in the f8X and now G series have from the factory is a solid mounted subframe.

Lorre

First Name
Errol
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Type R FK8
So the M2 Comp while itā€™s a car Iā€™d love to own, prices for low mileage examples are around MSRP when the car came out. Itā€™s 2023 moving onto 2024 so a 2019-2020 M2C is now going to be 5 years oldā€¦. Vs getting a now 2024 supra with 0 miles on it at msrp with a manual transmission. Both cars have great tuning potential, b58 is more reliable, and I donā€™t need back seats. Seems like a no brainer in terms of value.

the only thing I wish the Supra had which M cars in the f8X and now G series have from the factory is a solid mounted subframe.
Those were almost the exact same reasons for me as well.

I too went ahead with a new Supra manual.:nixon:

GRMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Too many
Get the Supra 6MT new with the full warranty...the M2C without warranty is not a car that I will own. Personal experience - a turbo of my untuned M2C went south and the replacement cost of parts + labour is hideous. The M2C is a great handling car (don't listen to those G87 owners claiming the F87 M2C is unstable, bla bla bla as anyone worth their salt who had driven the M2C on a track knows how good and fun the chassis is) with a brilliant engine but I wanted a true sports car with the sports car look so that's why I went for the Supra.

Suspension wise the M2C is better sorted than a stock Supra (but still slower than a stock Supra on the track when both are on high grip 200TW as the Supra has less corner entry understeer and less corner exit oversteer) but that will change once coil-overs are on the Supra.
Sponsored