Curious about downpipe.

Greenknight12

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0L I6
First of all this is my first message to anyone in this thread. I recently got a 2023 gr supra 2 weeks ago and absolutely love it. In the Socal area do the owners here have any modifications to theirs and if so what ones? Alot of the things ive seen are downpipes, jb4, air intakes, or exhausts. I want to put a downpipe on mine to help the engine breath better and get a couple extra horse power but is it even worth investing in one without a proper tune? The other question is the legality behind it because California is what it is and what could be the repurcussions for getting caught with a modified exhaust.

San Diego area to be precise is where I'm located.
Sponsored

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra / 2019 Y61 Nissan Patrol
Get a Dp you won't be caught it is not that loud over stock. I don't know the rules for CA so can't speak on them. If you want a catless DP you will get a check engine light if you get a catted one you will not but make sure the DP you buy has a guranteed no CEL. If you go catless which 10000000% better than catted you will have to deal with CEL but it does no harm. Intake in unnecessary unless you want turbo noises. JB4 will give you a bit of a power boost but it does not match an ots map or a custom one. feel free to ask questions.

Here is everything you need to know about modding in a thread.
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/gr-supra-101-routes-to-big-power.17670/

adrian56k

First Name
adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0
Catless downpipes are illegal in California, as a matter of a fact, you can't even get it shipped to California. You will have to reach out to anyone you know out of state to either ship it to you or bring it to you directly. I figured that out after I placed my order and got a call from the company. There are a few downpipes out there that won't give you a CEL; other options will give you a CEL but it's just another achievement on the dashboard. Doesn't affect anything. If you plan to tune, that's how you'll get rid of it. Another option is to purchase one from someone who already lives in state to save you the headache. If you plan to increase performance, it's definitely worth the investment, not to mention it sounds alot better.

Davidr3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Catless downpipes are illegal in California, as a matter of a fact, you can't even get it shipped to California. You will have to reach out to anyone you know out of state to either ship it to you or bring it to you directly. I figured that out after I placed my order and got a call from the company. There are a few downpipes out there that won't give you a CEL; other options will give you a CEL but it's just another achievement on the dashboard. Doesn't affect anything. If you plan to tune, that's how you'll get rid of it. Another option is to purchase one from someone who already lives in state to save you the headache. If you plan to increase performance, it's definitely worth the investment, not to mention it sounds alot better.
There's some shops in California that'll sell you it
Sponsored