• 2020-2024 BMW G29 Z4 M40i
  • 2022-2024 BMW G42 230i
  • 2019-2024 BMW G20 330i
  • 2021-2024 BMW G22/G23/G26 430i
  • 2019-2024 BMW G29 Z4 30i
Product Page(s) / Pricing:
Release Date: Available Now!

Description:

The OE thermal management system for the B4x/B58 G-chassis BMW and Toyota GR Supra offers an improved formula from prior generations. With a setup where engine coolant is also re-routed through the heat exchanger, the system effectively assists in overall engine cooling as well as charge cooling. However, like its predecessors, it has room for improvement as it can be overwhelmed when the system is taxed aggressively or as power levels are increased. Once overburdened, this results in the undesirable outcome of power being diminished. Avoidance of this unwelcome scenario can be attained though with a Dinan heat exchanger! Improving the overall thermal management system so everything runs cooler and more efficiently while being budget friendly has never been easier.

The Dinan B4x/B58 heat exchanger for the BMW G2x/G4x and Toyota A9x Supra assists in improving overall charge cooling using a more robust core (45mm thick Dinan core vs. 26.75mm thick OEM core) that wields 68% more heat transfer surface area for improved cooling capacity. The significant increase in core thickness and full-size end tanks contribute to the overall thermal mass (ability to absorb, store, and release heat) improvement beyond the OEM setup. With up to a nearly 12º reduction in charge air temps recorded over stock the Dinan heat exchanger is ready, and able, to assist in extending your vehicles ability to deliver maximum performance time and time again for your driving enjoyment!

Features/Benefits:
  • Average of 8.7º reduction in charge air temps with a maximum reduction of nearly 12º over 30 successive WOT pulls
  • General improvement to the efficiency of the thermal management system, inclusive of engine cooling
  • 45mm thick Dinan core vs. 26.75mm thick stock cooler core
  • 68% more cooling surface area and volume than stock
  • Reduces the tendency to heat soak / go in to limp mode
  • Durable bar and plate design that is less susceptible to damage from road debris
  • 100% TIG welded and pressure tested aluminum construction
  • Direct fit replacement with no modifications required
B46_B58_G_Heat_Exchanger_Forum_2.jpg
B46_B58_G_Heat_Exchanger_Forum_3.jpg
B46_B58_G_Heat_Exchanger_Forum_4.jpg
B46_B58_G_Heat_Exchanger_Forum_5.jpg
B46_B58_G_Heat_Exchanger_Forum_6.jpg

HEAT EXCHANGER ENDURANCE TESTING

Charge Air Temp Reduction, or Intercooler Temperature drop (Intercooler dT), is a measurement of the temperature drop across the intercooler (inlet temperature - outlet temperature). For this testing and data presentation, the measurement was taken at the end of each pull (~100mph WOT). The end of the pull was chosen as it generally represents the highest load on the charge cooling system. The charge cooling system has two parts, the intercooler and heat exchanger. The data shows that by implementing the Dinan heat exchanger, with the OEM intercooler, the charge cooling system pulls more heat from the overall system and typical performance decays are effectively non-existent over a prolonged series of pulls.

B46_B58_G_Heat_Exchanger_Forum_7b.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
  • Average of 8.7º reduction in charge air temps with a maximum reduction of nearly 12º over 30 successive WOT pulls
Am I reading this correctly? You are stating this heat exchanger by itself with an OEM intake manifold reduced intake temps by 47*F?

Do you have log proof of this?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dinan_Engineering

Dinan_Engineering

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dinancars.com
Car(s)
GR Supra 2.0, 2x GR Supra 3.0's and countless BMWs
Track peope will ask:

What's the liquid capacity of this vs OEM?
Engineer who designed and tested the thing isnt available today so a definitive answer is going to have to wait until he is back BUT the end tanks themselves are nearly identical in size to OEM. The difference is primarily in the core size which has a 68% greater volume than stock so by logic the cop-out temporary answer is ~60% more liquid capacity.

Am I reading this correctly? You are stating this heat exchanger by itself with an OEM intake manifold reduced intake temps by 47*F?

Do you have log proof of this?
No. The measurement we are referencing is the change in charge air temperature (Intercooler dT) not Intake Air Temp (IAT). I have added the descriptive blurb explaining that as it corresponds to the chart to the original post for clarity. IAT's with the heat exchanger and stock top mount compared to stock are effectively the same (within 1-2* C). For a meaningful change to IAT's the top mount intercooler is what you would be after.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
IAT's with the heat exchanger and stock top mount compared to stock are effectively the same (within 1-2* C). For a meaningful change to IAT's the top mount intercooler is what you would be after.
So now you are saying your heat exchanger doesn't do anything over OEM when you retain the OEM intake manifold?

I'm a bit confused here.

OP
OP
Dinan_Engineering

Dinan_Engineering

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dinancars.com
Car(s)
To clarify, your graph shows a larger charge air temperature reduction from the OEM setup.

So the Dinan heat exchanger is significantly worse than OEM, yes?
HA! Your'e right, that is what the graph indicates as shown. Figures no one caught the labels/lines being inverted til launch. Will get it changed here momentarily. In the meantime just squint and pretend you see the label showing the top line plot as Dinan and the bottom as OEM.

kyle9

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra - Gridlife StreetMod #29, '23 B48 Supra
No. The measurement we are referencing is the change in charge air temperature (Intercooler dT) not Intake Air Temp (IAT). I have added the descriptive blurb explaining that as it corresponds to the chart to the original post for clarity. IAT's with the heat exchanger and stock top mount compared to stock are effectively the same (within 1-2* C). For a meaningful change to IAT's the top mount intercooler is what you would be after.
You’re actually referring to both.

Charge air is the name for air that comes out of the compressor before it passes through the intercooler.

Intake air is the name for the same air, after it passes through the intercooler.

Your graph shows the difference in temp between IATs and charge air temp.

Again, the graph shows oem is better.

now your quoted post seems to say that your heat exchanger does nothing at all…

Anyway, I guess we can all just move on…

OP
OP
Dinan_Engineering

Dinan_Engineering

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dinancars.com
Car(s)
So now you are saying your heat exchanger doesn't do anything over OEM when you retain the OEM intake manifold?

I'm a bit confused here.
If IAT's are the only metric you are worried about then yes. The heat exchanger functions primarily as a general improvement to the thermal management system (read: improved efficiency).

kyle9

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra - Gridlife StreetMod #29, '23 B48 Supra
If IAT's are the only metric you are worried about then yes. The heat exchanger functions primarily as a general improvement to the thermal management system (read: improved efficiency).
to clarify, when you say “IAT,” do you mean temp of air entering the air filter (pre turbo), or temp of air entering the engine (post intercooler)?

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Just to make sure we are on the right page. When you say efficiency do you mean the ability of the system to shed charge temp lap after lap?

To share some data around this. Here is my personal Supra with OEM heat exchanger and a Wagner intake manifold. Nine laps on track followed by a cool down and two more laps.

MAT = Intake temp (F) post intercooler
Intercooler heat shedding = Charge air temp - MAT

graph.png

Zoomed in with boost:
Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 2.54.10 PM.png

_Sp1ral0ut

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2021 Tahoe, Razor E100
Engineer who designed and tested the thing isnt available today so a definitive answer is going to have to wait until he is back
We'll have to wait two weeks for the designer of the thing to come explain the thing that does or does not do things.

OP
OP
Dinan_Engineering

Dinan_Engineering

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dinancars.com
Car(s)
Couple quick answers from the primary engineer...

With D780-0003 installed, we measured an average charge air temperature reduction of ~86[C]; an average of ~77[C] was measured for the OEM implementation.

No, D780-0003 has a measurable improvement on charge air temperature reduction. The intake air temperature is the result of a complex thermal management system. For example, it can be the case that the ECU must limit engine output to comply with thermal limitations such as a maximum intake air temperature constraint; in this case, an improved charge air cooling system may enable greater engine output, while maintaining the same thermal limits, by supporting the greater heat rejection resulting from increased work by the turbocharger (ex. the result is same IAT but more air flow).

to clarify, when you say “IAT,” do you mean temp of air entering the air filter (pre turbo), or temp of air entering the engine (post intercooler)?
We define intake air temperature (IAT) as the temperature of the air that is entering the engine (typically measured with the OEM IAT sensor, or a thermocouple in a comparable/similar location).

Product adds weight to front of car with no known benefit.
D780-0003 has a measurable improvement on charge air temperature reduction.
Sponsored