Dinan Heat Exchanger for the Toyota GR Supra

swrdply400mrelay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Veloster N, 2024 Stratosphere MT
I'm also confused, but I think what you're saying is that the charge air temperature drop (difference between air temp before and after the intercooler) is improved with this? According to your chart there is an average 85 degree drop vs the OEM average of of 77 degree drop?
Sponsored

i3igpete

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0L 8AT
and two more laps.

wow, I'm really surprised that the temps returned to quasi-steady just half a lap after your cooldown. I would have figured that the water system would have had more thermal inertia than that.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
wow, I'm really surprised that the temps returned to quasi-steady just half a lap after your cooldown. I would have figured that the water system would have had more thermal inertia than that.
yea, WOT and boost puts a lot of heat in the system. As soon as you stop doing those shenanigans the system can cool things better. ;)

kyle9

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra - Gridlife StreetMod #29, '23 B48 Supra
D780-0003 has a measurable improvement on charge air temperature reduction.
Your data looks like BS though.

1. Your initial chart showed your product performing worse than OEM

2. You said that IATs are basically not dropping at all - what is your product doing then?

3. The fact that the first data point shows a huge improvement over oem is extremely suspect since the heat exchanger literally won’t have the chance to do anything in a single pull. If the oem system holds 1.2 gallons of water and pumps 5 gallons/min (approximate) then it would take 14.5 seconds for any hot water that goes through the intercooler to make it through the heat exchanger and back through the intercooler. 50-100 takes 10 seconds or less, so any benefit from an upgraded heat exchanger would be marginal at best.

swrdply400mrelay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Couple quick answers from the primary engineer...

We define intake air temperature (IAT) as the temperature of the air that is entering the engine (typically measured with the OEM IAT sensor, or a thermocouple in a comparable/similar location).

D780-0003 has a measurable improvement on charge air temperature reduction.

Do you know where the IAT sensor is on the B58? Is after the air filter, before the throttle body, before or after the IC?

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Do you know where the IAT sensor is on the B58? Is after the air filter, before the throttle body, before or after the IC?
- Temp sensor at the MAF location right after the airbox
- Temp sensor on the MAP sensor on the chargepipe before the throttle body
- Temp sensor on the MAP sensor on the intake manifold post intercooler

The sensors being talked about in this thread are the second two above.

Oodis

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 MT GR Supra
2. You said that IATs are basically not dropping at all - what is your product doing then?
Its taking your money.

Guess they think they are selling fishing lures to fishermen.

OP
OP
Dinan_Engineering

Dinan_Engineering

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dinancars.com
Car(s)
GR Supra 2.0, 2x GR Supra 3.0's and countless BMWs
Follow-up responses from the engineer -- please note that he is monitoring the thread and will answer questions as requested but all of the communication will be through the marketing team / me (your glorified Dinan forum typist).

Just to make sure we are on the right page. When you say efficiency do you mean the ability of the system to shed charge temp lap after lap?
Effective is probably the more accurate word to use instead of efficiency. D780-0003 is a more effective heat exchanger, compared to the OEM implementation, for the load cases relevant to their application. As is presented in the marketing data, it consistently provides greater charge air temperature reduction ('in-to-out' intercooler temperature drop) by rejecting more (heat) energy.

I'm also confused, but I think what you're saying is that the charge air temperature drop (difference between air temp before and after the intercooler) is improved with this? According to your chart there is an average 85 degree drop vs the OEM average of of 77 degree drop?
You are correct. The difference between the inlet and outlet temperatures of the OEM intercooler was measured to be greater with D780-0003 installed.

1. Your initial chart showed your product performing worse than OEM
The original marketing data was incorrect and the labels reversed; the engineering data has always been the same. There must have been an error when the marketing team was preparing the data for release; mistakes happen. It has since been fixed.

This has already been answered; reference our previous bulk reply (post #15 and the second response to Razor).

3. The fact that the first data point shows a huge improvement over oem is extremely suspect since the heat exchanger literally won’t have the chance to do anything in a single pull. If the oem system holds 1.2 gallons of water and pumps 5 gallons/min (approximate) then it would take 14.5 seconds for any hot water that goes through the intercooler to make it through the heat exchanger and back through the intercooler. 50-100 takes 10 seconds or less, so any benefit from an upgraded heat exchanger would be marginal at best.
This is measured data; 30 tests were completed in quick succession (~50[%] load duty cycle; approximately the same amount of time to do a pull as it is to complete the turn and restart). Throughout my engineering career I have maintained the integrity of my work, and many engineers have reviewed this development process specifically, so we are confident in the work, data, and product. If you have questions, we may answer them.

swrdply400mrelay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You are correct. The difference between the inlet and outlet temperatures of the OEM intercooler was measured to be greater with D780-0003 installed.
Any dynos compared to the OEM? Interested in what 8 degrees C translates into in WHP lost
Sponsored