• Total voters

Syeeee

First Name
Sye
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR 3.0 Premium
Their downside to the MKV is that its too planted at speed and when you're pushing it you're breaking all the laws and can hurt yourself/others. Not wrong about that...
Yep, they want to feel when you're going 100mph, not in an instant.

BillyLong42

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium
I watched this this AM. You already know the Gen thats going to be at the top of the monolist. While I get why since its a more raw machine with a cult following (including me), the mk5 being to smooth in not letting you know when your on the edge is a "negative" I can live with.

Awales74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Mazda 6
when you're pushing it you're breaking all the laws
I hate when car review include generally accepted truisms. Yes, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. It's been said a thousand times. This is not a slow car. Duh. And the great insight is what?

thehouseplant

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 6MT, 2023 BMW 330i
I will say that I appreciated the defense in how sometimes one generation to another can introduce a significant change to the platform. After two decades of dormancy, it's reasonable that Toyota would have sought other options to make the MKV a reality.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I feel the Mark 5 is as decent of a jump as the Mark 3 to 4. Still, I get the purists not liking it being developed with another manufacturer.
Anyway, old cars are always gonna be more fun to drive than new stuff. That's why we keep them around. The only thing about this vid that surprised me was the putting the Mark 3 above the 4, despite the fan boiness.

Janice

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'17 BRZ
I think all their rank videos are insanely predictable. First gen is usually last (R&D), second gen is second (Refinement) icon is first (Perfection), newest is usually in the middle (Modern).

I think the quote that they have advantage of hindsight is not yet applied to the MKV and thats why it not "loved" by journalists and enthusiasts who can't see pass the BMWness.

Its kind of hypocritical that many outlets love the 86 and don't really knock it for being a Subaru.

Nearly every car that is "hated" or flopped for stupid reasons is now revered by people. S2K was a joke to many at launch. Especially the AP2 and the CR.

MKV has its flaws, but it being dangerous at that fun limit is a silly complaint.

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
Predictable from a mile away. MKIV was always going to be ranked #1. Their viewers are typical purists and fast and the furious fans. They would never give the MKV a chance. I couldn't tell. Was the MKIV manual while the MKV was automatic?

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ranking fixed :p

fix.jpg
I don't hate the MKIV. I'm 38 years old and grew up thinking it was my dream car. I hate what a popular movie named the fast and the furious did to the MKIV taking it to a hype level never seen before. I would have been ok with the MKV ranked #2. Donut couldn't or the outcry would have been insane.

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think all their rank videos are insanely predictable. First gen is usually last (R&D), second gen is second (Refinement) icon is first (Perfection), newest is usually in the middle (Modern).

I think the quote that they have advantage of hindsight is not yet applied to the MKV and thats why it not "loved" by journalists and enthusiasts who can't see pass the BMWness.

Its kind of hypocritical that many outlets love the 86 and don't really knock it for being a Subaru.

Nearly every car that is "hated" or flopped for stupid reasons is now revered by people. S2K was a joke to many at launch. Especially the AP2 and the CR.

MKV has its flaws, but it being dangerous at that fun limit is a silly complaint.
Doug DeMuro said it in a recent video that the cars historically who are hated/misunderstood when they are released are the ones that years later become classics. Funny how I was thinking about your 86 comparison earlier today and realized the same thing. I don't get it.
Sponsored