• Total voters

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I've always loved the MKIV and always will. I'm a sucker for cars with curves and it has a great coke bottle shape. Lowered with a set of nice wheels = 👍🏻🤘🏼.
Add a TRD body kit? Done.
Neither myself nor anyone I know ever got into Mark 4s because of the Fast and the Furious. I know everyone says that, but those cars were popular for making big power far before that movie came out. I don't see that the prices on them have gone up anymore than any other car from that area. I can't blame all the price increases on that franchise.
If all these Supra fans were Fast and Furious fans, all the cars would be orange.
Looking back, I don't see how that was much of an influence at all.
Sponsored

TheLJWay

First Name
L.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 GR Supra 3.0 Premium Renaissance Red
Doug DeMuro said it in a recent video that the cars historically who are hated/misunderstood when they are released are the ones that years later become classics. Funny how I was thinking about your 86 comparison earlier today and realized the same thing. I don't get it.
And you see it all the time. The 2nd gen NSX which I think Doug mentioned in that same convo or another, the LFA, even the MKIV itself when it came out stock. Also the MKIV in this Donut vid was the only car that was modded which we knew what to expect.

Zoomie

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 RSX, 2021 4Runner, 2023 GR Supra 3.0MT
^this. Comparing a modified to a stock will always favour the modified car. No surprise.

ThatDudeInBlue did a review of a bone stock A80 and it was really interesting to watch. The power came on smoothly and there was very little drama to the car - sounds a lot like the review of the A90 in this review doesn't it?

On the plus side, I have a new appreciation for the lineage of the Supra. The Mk1 was underwhelming but I loved seeing the II and III in action.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
if not for nothing it put the Supra name out there and I'd think that's why many especially younger crowd got into it and are tuning it the next day because of FF. Like you're 18yo, drive the car as is for a sec.
Most OEMs have a single flagship sports car. Without the name and hype they don't mean jack for sales and marketing. Honestly, maybe if not for FF, maybe MKV wouldn't have been? Sure, Tada had it in him, but hard sell to management/investors/etc.
All the names we know and want like Supra, Celica, etc. are beknown to car enthusiasts only, as they're 20+ yo cars. Either grew up with it or your neighbor or dad had one. Same for NSX..
Celica will be a "cold sell" imho. Toyota will have to spend a lot on marketing to put the word heritage in there and because if it ever comes out it'll be EV, so hard hard sell lol.

Comrades let's bring Lada Niva back on the table. We sold many. World needs Niva Sport 🤣

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
Unpopular opinion, I was never really a "Supra fanatic". I am however a huge fan of the Porsche Cayman and high performance driving so when I read that the Supra's performance benchmark was a Cayman it set the hook in me.

After 2.5 years I love my Supra more and more every time I drive it, and I'm really enjoying the track driving I've been doing. I can honestly say though that the Mk IV had absolutely zero influence in my decision. I was always more of a R32 GT-R fanboy for JDM cars.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I don't remember anyone who was enamored with TFatF being able to afford a Supra so going out to buy them. They were already relatively pricey by then. I seem to remember $30-$50k or so. Maybe people stayed to like them, but not like they all rushed out to buy.
Still, I've never heard a Supra owner say, "because Fast and Furious", though I'm sure there are a few.

BraveDemon

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra; 19 TTRS; 19 Velar P380 HSE; 15 GLA45 AMG
I expected the MKIV to be placed higher, but did not expect the MKIII to beat out the MKV!.
Well, nostalgia factors big for the Supra namesake and I think that Donut took a “safe” ranking so as to appease the general car community.

Hindsight is 20/20. I love the MKIV too… but people always forget that MKIV’s literally rotted on Toyota dealership floors. Toyota could not sell them even with steep discounts.

MKVs don’t seem to have trouble selling new though.

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
Well, nostalgia factors big for the Supra namesake and I think that Donut took a “safe” ranking so as to appease the general car community.

Hindsight is 20/20. I love the MKIV too… but people always forget that MKIV’s literally rotted on Toyota dealership floors. Toyota could not sell them even with steep discounts.

MKVs don’t seem to have trouble selling new though.
Example of 1, but when I purchased my 2020 in early 2021 it had sat on the lot for 555 days. I got it with 230 miles for ~$10k under MSRP.

Much different market now though.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I’ll be the unpopular one and state I never really appreciated the MK3 A70 Supra back in the days but lately I have a new found appreciation and want for one. They are just so JDM pop up headlight cool. The only thing stopping me is when I see the interior. Lol

I had a cool modded A70 with antilag keep trying to bait me on the hwy when I was coming back from a track day. I finally bit and pulled pretty good on him. A lot of antilag bark but the bite didn’t match.

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
I've always loved the MKIV and always will. I'm a sucker for cars with curves and it has a great coke bottle shape. Lowered with a set of nice wheels = 👍🏻🤘🏼.
Add a TRD body kit? Done.
Neither myself nor anyone I know ever got into Mark 4s because of the Fast and the Furious. I know everyone says that, but those cars were popular for making big power far before that movie came out. I don't see that the prices on them have gone up anymore than any other car from that area. I can't blame all the price increases on that franchise.
If all these Supra fans were Fast and Furious fans, all the cars would be orange.
I'm 38 years old and grew up building jdm cars in high school friend's garages before fast and the furious came out. H22, B16, B18, etc motors. Once the movie came out everyone wanted to swap out engines into their hatchbacks and civics 🤣 You can Google it, Toyota stopped selling the MKIV because it didn't sell well. Sports cars aren't as profitable as Suvs, sedans, etc. I knew people who didn't like the MKIV because they claimed it was overpriced and unproven long term which was simply hate. Fast and the furious didn't propel the MKIV into a new stratosphere but it did help as with any Hollywood movie. We can go down the list of cars or things that came out in movies that became iconic. Bumble bee Camaro? DeLorean? I'm sure I'm missing many more. I loved the MKIV growing up but life moved on and so did the used prices to a new planet. $120,000 for a used high mileage MKIV. Smh. The MKV will never be better than the MKIV and it wasn't supposed to be but it's a damn good fun car.

Schang105

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, 2020 Porsche Macan
Not surprised, nostalgia is a powerful thing.