Lets talk error codes lol

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
So hopefully the community can help since some of these don't seem to be mentioned anywhere and are mildly concerning based on reading.
For background, I bought my MKV about a week ago from a dealership, she had 29k miles, best guess to putting mileage that high so quick would be medical sales or something, the car had some exterior carbon mods and a downpipe and lowering springs.
No clue if the car is tuned or not which is always a gamble. I drove the car 2 hours home and she ran perfect. The next day on the way to work I went good throttle (not full wot) and the car accelerated then kind of stuttered, almost like a fuel cut or spark plug, but we're talking within a second not a prolonged cut. A CEL popped up shortly after but the car seemed to run fine, we got a shit load of rain and the CEL has gone off and come back on a few times over the past few days.
I picked up a veepeak adapter and bimmerlink and pulled some codes. Currently the CEL is off and im going to try to see if the stuttering comes back on my way to the gym this evening.
I looked up the codes and I found that the first 2 are essentially "ghost" codes per MHD and I believe it was the 3rd one that was a potential spark plug issue but someone mentioned a fuel pump (fingers crossed not this)
The other concerning one was the crankshaft synchronization one. In terms of the starting code there has never been a starting issue since I've owned the car.
Anyway hopefully some of the longer owners may have some input.

Im also going to use bimmerlink to see if im still targeting peak boost of 12lbs at wot and that should give me a start to see if the car was tuned.

Screenshot_20210902-181349_BimmerLink.jpg

20210828_144138.jpg
Sponsored

YellowJacket

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Toyota Supra 3.0
You know...I've put almost 5k miles in less than 2 months because I can't stop driving it. I better slow down...I haven't even done any road trips. All too easy to put miles on the car....maybe the original owner couldn't stop driving it either.

Sorry I don't really know much about the codes as I'm still new to the car as well. I'm subbing though because I'm sure my time will come.

OP
OP
Cptnslo

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
You know...I've put almost 5k miles in less than 2 months because I can't stop driving it. I better slow down...I haven't even done any road trips. All too easy to put miles on the car....maybe the original owner couldn't stop driving it either.

Sorry I don't really know much about the codes as I'm still new to the car as well. I'm subbing though because I'm sure my time will come.
Hahaha I dont blame you, the supra has become my daily and I dont know how I've managed to stay above 22mpg around town ??. I know people were so upset because there was no manual but with the stop and go traffic here in BG, I love not having to 1st gear, 2nd gear, back to first gear constant shifting.

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
So hopefully the community can help since some of these don't seem to be mentioned anywhere and are mildly concerning based on reading.
For background, I bought my MKV about a week ago from a dealership, she had 29k miles, best guess to putting mileage that high so quick would be medical sales or something, the car had some exterior carbon mods and a downpipe and lowering springs.
No clue if the car is tuned or not which is always a gamble. I drove the car 2 hours home and she ran perfect. The next day on the way to work I went good throttle (not full wot) and the car accelerated then kind of stuttered, almost like a fuel cut or spark plug, but we're talking within a second not a prolonged cut. A CEL popped up shortly after but the car seemed to run fine, we got a shit load of rain and the CEL has gone off and come back on a few times over the past few days.
I picked up a veepeak adapter and bimmerlink and pulled some codes. Currently the CEL is off and im going to try to see if the stuttering comes back on my way to the gym this evening.
I looked up the codes and I found that the first 2 are essentially "ghost" codes per MHD and I believe it was the 3rd one that was a potential spark plug issue but someone mentioned a fuel pump (fingers crossed not this)
The other concerning one was the crankshaft synchronization one. In terms of the starting code there has never been a starting issue since I've owned the car.
Anyway hopefully some of the longer owners may have some input.

Im also going to use bimmerlink to see if im still targeting peak boost of 12lbs at wot and that should give me a start to see if the car was tuned.

Screenshot_20210902-181349_BimmerLink.jpg

20210828_144138.jpg
If its a catless dp and you are not throwing codes for o2 sensor stuff it's been tuned.

If it hasn't been tuned I'd take it to the dealer it's still under warranty.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
If its a catless dp and you are not throwing codes for o2 sensor stuff it's been tuned.

Unsure if it was a Toyota dealership you bought it from but if it was, you should be fine either way taking it there. After all, if they tried to deny coverage based on a tune and modifications that were not disclosed at time of sale, they'd be in a bad position either way. Not that they couldn't get out of it, but then you might have recourse on the other side (i.e. sale in bad faith) depending on what your consumer protections are there.

OP
OP
Cptnslo

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra

This is a good point I didnt even think about the fact its catless and I should be throwing a cel. Interestingly according to bimmerlink my boost level is right about 13lbs which is right at factory levels isn't it?
I was emailing John at ces and he said most 93 tunes should be around 23lbs.

OP
OP
Cptnslo

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
Unsure if it was a Toyota dealership you bought it from but if it was, you should be fine either way taking it there. After all, if they tried to deny coverage based on a tune and modifications that were not disclosed at time of sale, they'd be in a bad position either way. Not that they couldn't get out of it, but then you might have recourse on the other side (i.e. sale in bad faith) depending on what your consumer protections are there.
Unfortunately it was not a Toyota dealership, just a dealership that has higher end cars and stuff that is a little more unique.
They had it listed as an "aftermarket exhaust" but it wasn't the whole exhaust it was just the downpipe and they weren't actually sure of the details because I asked prior to leaving what the exhaust brand was and he said he then thought it was stock. There is a local Toyota dealer here but im not sure if they see a catless downpipe and will basically tell me to go f myself in terms of warranty. My best guess is they'd fight tooth and nail to try to say that the downpipe caused any potential issues.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Yeah I'm sure they'd fight it... although I'm not sure what better options you've got. I'd probably just look for a reputable tuner in your area to go through it, and either properly tune it (and diagnose any other issues) - or replace everything back to stock and try with Toyota.

If it's a tuner that works with Supras... it's possible they might be able to connect you with a customer that's got a stock DP (before they've sold it to a recycler).
Sponsored