New Toyota Supra rumored to get Toyota twin turbo V6 engine

Would you pay $50k-$60k for a 350-400hp "Supra"?

• Yes

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Maybe, depends on other factors like weight, styling and etc.

Votes: 15 48.4%

• Total voters

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Older articles, but the idea has been floating around for quite sometime.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/07/22/toyota-supra-lexus-turbo-v6-rumor/

https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/toyota-building-new-twin-turbo-v6-to-appear-in-new-supra

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/t...ping-twin-turbo-v6-for-next-supra-109738.html

Autocar UK actually called this awhile back.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-toyota-supra-and-bmw-z5-gear-2018-assault

A newly developed twinturbo 3.5-litre V6 petrol unit, which will be shared with various Lexus models over the longer term, will be the performance flagship of the new line-up. It will deliver more than 400bhp in a rear-wheeldrive version of the Supra. This range-topper will be the most powerful Supra to date and have an expected 0-62mph time of less than 4.0sec and a governed 155mph top speed.
Sponsored

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
415HP/442TQ for an entry level Supra would be nice. Not a 2JZ capable engine that we know of yet but would be cool if Toyota included some nice internals upgrades for the Supra successor engine capable to manage lots of power on stock internals reliably with a few mods and tune.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
people on Clublexus are hoping the LC would also receive the TT V6 for a base $80k model.

IMO, this won't be a bad idea. Mercedes has the SL450 and BMW with their 640i.

Last edited:

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Not three, four! And all supposedly brand-new units.

Standard 242 horsepower 2.0L, hi-po "near 300 horsepower" 2.0L, all-wheel-drive hybrid 3.5: V6 "upwards of 350bhp," and finally a "more than 400bhp" "twinturbo" 3.6L V6.

Meanwhile stuff like the enthusiast 4Runner gets only one engine option despite demand, huge-selling Tundra offers two antiquated V8 options when the competition offers three or four each. There are some Toyota offerings that have an old cheap engine, a higher spec engine and a hybrid, for three total drivetrain options, but they are all very, very high volume sellers like Camry, Rav4, Highlander. According to the article, Magna Steyr can only make 60,000 combined Toyota & BMW units on their line annually, so that's something like 5k, 10k of each powertrain for the Supra, not accounting for transmission offerings. I suspect that some engines could be limited to certain markets but a lot of that article smells like crazy bullshit, even though Autocar is typically a legitimate news source.
It looks like the TT V6 will come from the new LS and the V6 hybrid from the LC500h.

I really hope the 4 cylinder part is false, but if it is true than I would agreed with your statement for certain markets like Europe, Japan, and China.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
^I hope Lexus is considering this. The 640i starts at $77k and $87k for the SL450. Lexus has just released pricing for the LC500 @ $92k and the LC500h @ $96k.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
At this point even though a new TT V6 from Lexus is a good sign. I would think a hybrid system for this TT V6 would be the top dog for the LC F if they do make an F version. But if they don't then I could see the TT V6 on the entry FT-1 production and a hybrid of the same engine as the top dog RWD/AWD? IDK anymore, just show/tell us Toyota.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
At this point even though a new TT V6 from Lexus is a good sign. I would think a TT V8 would be the top dog for the LC F if they do make an F version. But if they don't then I could see the TT V6 on the entry FT-1 production and a hybrid of the same engine as the top dog RWD/AWD? IDK anymore, just show/tell us Toyota.
fixed :p

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think I remember seeing earlier that part of this BMW/Toyota agreement was that BMW gets to show case their car first. If this is true we may see the car hopefully sooner than Tokyo if BMW debuts their car at the Geneva auto show.

Geneva show - 3/9/17 BMW Z5
NY auto show - 4/4/17 Toyota ?

Frankfurt show - 9/14/17 BMW Z5
Tokyo show - 10/27/17 Toyota ?

Hoping for April in NY cause Tokyo is near the end of the year.

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
I think I remember seeing earlier that part of this BMW/Toyota agreement was that BMW gets to show case their car first. If this is true we may see the car hopefully sooner than Tokyo if BMW debuts their car at the Geneva auto show.

Geneva show - 3/9/17 BMW Z5
NY auto show - 4/4/17 Toyota ?

Frankfurt show - 9/14/17 BMW Z5
Tokyo show - 10/27/17 Toyota ?

Hoping for April in NY cause Tokyo is near the end of the year.
I don't know how I can wait until October. I guess I can try to forget it exists for a few months.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150

Geneva show - 3/9/17 BMW Z5 concept
NY auto show - 4/4/17 Official Toyota Supra concept (closer to size and styling like the FT86 II)

Frankfurt show - 9/14/17 BMW Z5 production
Tokyo show - 10/27/17 Toyota Supra production - base model

Detroit auto show 2018 - Toyota Supra production - high performance model
it could see it playing out like this.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Not anything new to report, but I though the photos were nice.

bh9y4k1bvj4r.jpg

mzny08mbgw8j.jpg

That Toyota and BMW work together on a sporty duo is already known. The cars, which may be called Supra and Z5, are likely to look like this!

BMW and Toyota are currently working together in hybrid technology and diesel engines. That's smart because, while the Japanese are busy with partially electrified driving lines and in the field to be the world's top, BMW's diesel engine is getting more and more fine. Also, when it comes to fuel cell technology, the two companies are looking for each other, but the collapse of cooperation is the duo that can be seen on these pages prematurely.

The name "Supra" says it already: this Toyota is a serious sportieveling. With its rear-wheel drive, long nose, short butt and specially-shaped roof, there's a car in the Toyota showrooms that has to revive the times of earlier Supra's, MR2's and Celics.

Lascivious
The appearance of the car is inspired by that of the FT-1, a concept car that was presented on Detroit's auto show in 2014. The specially shaped nose and double bubble on the roof return to the production model. With his luscious lineup, the Supra is a real imagomaker for the Japanese. Despite the GT86, the brand with many car enthusiasts still has a somewhat dusty, sensible image. That's the reverse side of the basically amazingly functioning hybrid technology, which gets into hands in each other's hands. With the Supra, Toyota shows that the theme "driving pleasure" has not been forgotten.

Although a hybrid variant is unthinkable, four and six-cylinder petrol engines seem to be a more logical step for the two-seater. If Toyota wants to honor the name 'Supra', it can not be beneath a (double) blown V6. V, indeed, because the Toyota and BMW use their own power sources in the Supra. In the walkways, powers of 192 and 340 horsepower surround, which would at least be heard by the call for appealing performance.

Six-in-line

The fact that engines are not shared is also good news for BMW enthusiasts. They can now enjoy the so-typical six-in-line sound exclusively. In the Z4 sequel, this is especially good, because the new model will be a roadster. Both the Z3 and the first Z4 have coupé versions, but they have always been a lot more rare than their open brother. The current Z4 lacks such a dense variant, because this version is considered unnecessary due to the hard hit roof of this roadster. The Z returns the traditional fabrics.

V shape
Outstanding matches with his Toyota brother are hardly any, only the windshield and exterior mirrors match. The Japanese and Germans also assemble their own dashboard and furniture. The basic shape of both cars, of course, has the necessary similarities: BMW's next Z model also gets the traditional sports car silhouette with a long nose and a short ass. Striking style features of the Z5 are the headlamps, which are in a strong V-shape relative to each other and are positioned very high in the front. Behind that striking front are, of course, not only six-in-line engines, but also the four-cylinder we know of other BMW models. Expect, like we are used to BMW, a whole range of engines, ranging from power 200 to 300 hp. Whether there is an M version in the container is not clear yet. The 'regular' versions, like the Toyota Supra, are likely to be in the showrooms of both brands in 2018. Before that time, however, there will be more and more information about this lovely sporting pair.
http://www.autoweek.nl/nieuws/toyota-supra-en-bmw-z5/

Last edited:

BrettS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 gti
Vehicle Showcase
^^^
Really hope Toyota can make it look similar to this render. I'll gladly be putting a deposit if they can.