New Toyota Supra rumored to get Toyota twin turbo V6 engine

Would you pay $50k-$60k for a 350-400hp "Supra"?

• Yes

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Maybe, depends on other factors like weight, styling and etc.

Votes: 15 48.4%

• Total voters

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
"Early signs suggested the Supra would employ ... a 1.6-litre four-cylinder petrol engine and three electric motors — two operating on the front axle and a third integrated into the gearbox housing providing drive to the rear wheels."

Sounds like transaxle too me, but it could be the gearbox of the LC500h.
Sponsored

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
for those to lazy to read the whole articel.

1. Turbocharged 2.0-litre I4 with close to 300bhp
  2. AWD hybrid 3.5-litre V6 delivering upwards of 350bhp
  3. Twinturbo 3.5-litre V6 which deliver more than 400bhp

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
BEAUTIFUL! Except the tail looks a bit weird like a Hyundai Veloster. Everything else I'll take it as is :)
no question this is one of the best renderings out there, but i wish it had air vents on the rear.

Scino

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 WRX Limited, 2015 GLA250 AMG Sport
The rendering is nice and all, but it looks kinda bland like the Mazda RX concept. The final product needs some air vents like with the FT1.

mazda-rx-vision-concept-003-1.jpg

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
^ I agree 100%. I say a base RWD twin turbo 6 for the entry level and a top trim RWD/AWD twin turbo 6 + hybrid.
I hate the idea of a 2.0t Supra, but it seems 4 cylinder turbos becoming more popular. Reports are saying the facelift Mustang will ditch the V6.

According to Mustang6G, the body type codes for the V6 are now longer valid in the dealer system for the Mustang, suggesting that the engine will soon be resigned to the history books. This isn’t all that surprising considering the four-cylinder is more fuel efficient and more powerful, delivering 310 hp versus 300 hp of the V6. The turbo also has an extra 40 lb-ft of torque.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/11/2018-ford-mustang-to-ditch-v6-and-adopt.html
http://www.mustang6g.com/?p=10288

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I know, nothing against 4cyl. I have owned my fair share but I guess I'm semi old-school seeing the Supra (if they name it this) only being a 6 cyl. Putting the vehicle in an upper tier class of a true sports car.

We shall see. A 4cyl turbo would be perfect for the 86 though.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
I know, nothing against 4cyl. I have owned my fair share but I guess I'm semi old-school seeing the Supra (if they name it this) only being a 6 cyl. Putting the vehicle in an upper tier class of a true sports car.

We shall see. A 4cyl turbo would be perfect for the 86 though.
I totally agreed with you. Its just seem the tend is to down size to a turbo 4 cylinder. Porsche did it with the Boxster/Cayman. Either way, the model I would be interested in would be a 6 cylinder turbo.

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
if it is going to be a TT V6; anyone else think they will just slap turbos on the 3.5 2GR-FSE and call it a day.
^ I don't think so or at least hope not. That engine has been around for some time now. I'd think with the money Toyota is saving on sharing costs with BMW, they'd invest in making a new capable TT V6 or inline 6 that can also be used on other vehicles in the Lexus F line up. Better MPG and something new for the future.
That is what the Germans especially BMW have been doing: slap turbos and call it a new engine. Without marketing deceit, nothing wrong with that. The GR engine will be modified enough to be a true turbo engine.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
BMWBlog is saying the hybrid version will use technology for the TS050 LMP1 race car. they are also saying aluminum body, and not the rumored carbon fiber.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/11/25/toyota-supra-bmw-z4-getting-ready-2018-launch/

The new BMW Z4 and its counterpart in the Toyota-BMW collaboration – the Supra – are getting ready for their 2018 market launch. The new Supra makes a comeback after 14 years and will be offered with the choice of either a traditional petrol engine or a petrol-electric hybrid drivetrain. The hybrid version is claimed to draw on technology and processes developed for Toyota’s most recent TS050 LMP1 Le Mans race car.

It will feature an aluminum body, with short front overhang and long, sweeping nose section, which houses a longitudinally mounted engine. Inside, Toyota will provide space for two with a liftback-style tailgate.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
How did I miss this for two weeks.

This article makes it feel like the Supra is really going downmarket :cry::cry::cry::cry: Instead of a new take on the MkIV Supra Turbo we're getting a Toyota version of an updated Nissan Z. But maybe, just maybe a lot of this only pertains to the base-level BMW Z5 and not the Supra. I can only pray that the 2L doesn't even make it to the states, or that Greg Kable just made the whole article up. I mean, under 300 horsepower for two different specs? Are they serious? :what: This was supposed to be a "big power" performance car. If this has a pricetag that starts with anything over a 3 then I fail to see how they will sell any. Honestly the 242 horsepower model should start in the twenties.

Simply offering that sort of powerplant cheapens the whole car. I remember back in the '90s when the MkIVs were running around, there was this brief excitement when you'd catch a glimpse of the Supra shape, only to be disappointed when you could tell it wasn't a Turbo. And all of the NA cars invariably ended up ragged out, rode-hard-put-away-wet cars that were trashed by the market that bought them. Selling the car with 242 horsepower makes this at best a Toyota Mustang competitor and not even a Chevy Corvette.

The "performance flagship" 3.5L V6 sounds OK, but the vibe of the article makes it feel like "more than 400bhp" will be something like 403 or 416, not 450 or 495. It also doesn't even sound like that will be on offer from the start. And if it's not being offered from the start, no point in holding your breath. That STI version of the 86 that everyone knew was going to happen? Never happened. If this is selling poorly (which I suspect it will unless they sell it very cheaply) there's no way they'll take a risk on a sportier model. If it's really got hybrid tech from the TS050, then that should be hundreds of extra horsepower, and the highest-performance spec might actually be the hybrid. But the article reports "more than 350 horsepower" so the Le Mans tech is probably just marketing BS.
Other than the Z5 and the hybrid Supra, the article leaves transmission situation pretty vague. I am guessing my hopes of a dual clutch box are gone. Too many mentions of "ZF 8 speed automatic" to even think straight. :puke:

On the positive side, "little more than 1,400 kg" on the presumably heavier BMW sounds promising. Article also makes this sound like it will definitely be a 2-seater with a parcel shelf and no +2. A "little more than 12 months from planned unveiling" makes me think NAIAS 2018 :dunno:

I hate to be such a downer, but after what they showed us in the FT1, the car reported in that article is just incredibly disappointing. I'd like to hope that the article is just flat wrong on just about everything, but I know that's probably not the case. I'll continue to look for new info on the flagship, maybe it'll be a great car. But after about 3 years of following this I think I have to move on.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
this whole article sounds a little funny IMO. so the 86 which will probably selling way more units only gets one drivetrain, while a low volume niche product Supra will get 3 different drivetains? that just doesn't make much sense to me.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
this whole article sounds a little funny IMO. so the 86 which will probably selling way more units only gets one drivetrain, while a low volume niche product Supra will get 3 different drivetains? that just doesn't make much sense to me.
Not three, four! And all supposedly brand-new units.

Standard 242 horsepower 2.0L, hi-po "near 300 horsepower" 2.0L, all-wheel-drive hybrid 3.5: V6 "upwards of 350bhp," and finally a "more than 400bhp" "twinturbo" 3.6L V6.

It's almost like an amalgamation of every FT1/Supra rumor that's come out.

Meanwhile stuff like the enthusiast 4Runner gets only one engine option despite demand, huge-selling Tundra offers two antiquated V8 options when the competition offers three or four each. There are some Toyota offerings that have an old cheap engine, a higher spec engine and a hybrid, for three total drivetrain options, but they are all very, very high volume sellers like Camry, Rav4, Highlander. According to the article, Magna Steyr can only make 60,000 combined Toyota & BMW units on their line annually, so that's something like 5k, 10k of each powertrain for the Supra, not accounting for transmission offerings. I suspect that some engines could be limited to certain markets but a lot of that article smells like crazy bullshit, even though Autocar is typically a legitimate news source.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
Not three, four! And all supposedly brand-new units.

Standard 242 horsepower 2.0L, hi-po "near 300 horsepower" 2.0L, all-wheel-drive hybrid 3.5: V6 "upwards of 350bhp," and finally a "more than 400bhp" "twinturbo" 3.6L V6.

It's almost like an amalgamation of every FT1/Supra rumor that's come out.

Meanwhile stuff like the enthusiast 4Runner gets only one engine option despite demand, huge-selling Tundra offers two antiquated V8 options when the competition offers three or four each. There are some Toyota offerings that have an old cheap engine, a higher spec engine and a hybrid, for three total drivetrain options, but they are all very, very high volume sellers like Camry, Rav4, Highlander. According to the article, Magna Steyr can only make 60,000 combined Toyota & BMW units on their line annually, so that's something like 5k, 10k of each powertrain for the Supra, not accounting for transmission offerings. I suspect that some engines could be limited to certain markets but a lot of that article smells like crazy bullshit, even though Autocar is typically a legitimate news source.
i totally missed that.

X2, it does sound like every rumor combined into one article.

agreed, a lot of it does sound like BS. i especially call BS on the 4 banger rumors. i think if they were to build such a model than it would be stepping on the toes of the 86, and possible limit any future power increase. i'll be happy with two trim levels, a V6 turbo for me and V6 hybrid for the tree huggers.
Sponsored