Supra Nurburgring Time?

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
just wanted to clarify, based on the image you posted, the supra is faster than the FL5 CTR (newer) version, not FK8 last gen CTR, and the FL5 is faster around tracks than the previous generation FK8
You can see the full historic times from all the lightning laps and you are correct that the 2023 Toyota Supra manual was indeed faster than both the current generation CTR and the previous. The reason why this information is so much more valuable than N Ring lap times is this was done on the same day by the same driver on tires that either come standard on the vehicle or is optional from factory.
Sponsored

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
just wanted to clarify, based on the image you posted, the supra is faster than the FL5 CTR (newer) version, not FK8 last gen CTR, and the FL5 is faster around tracks than the previous generation FK8
I wish I understood all those abbreviations. I’ve got a 2022 3.0 and she’s absolutely amazing on track. I have no regrets whatsoever. Can you tell 😂

Honda Type-R best front wheel drive car. Supra better rear wheel drive car for track - just buy some tires. There, does that sum it up?

OP
OP
BMWAF

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
I wish I understood all those abbreviations.
They're Honda model designators, ala A90 I guess: FL5 is the current generation Type R, FK8 is the previous one. Then it was the FK2 and before that came my current daily, the much maligned FN2.. which also had a more hardcore brother in Japan known as the FD2.

That should do you for now. :)

visbits

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 MKV MT, 94 RX7, 95 Supra, 02 S2K, 17 GT350
Not sure about Nürburgring times but as Car and Driver tested, 2023 Supra 3.0 MT is 3 seconds faster than FK5 Type R on Virginia Internal Raceway.
Also Type R is on Cup 2 tires while Supra is on stock PSS.
1682364123743.png
This was exactly what I needed to shut up some stupid honda kids.

GRMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Too many
Toyota should have done a timed lap at the Ring as a promotion for their halo car.

It's sloppy marketing in my opinion. They tested and developed the Supra at the Ring, they should have done an official lap time with the development driver.

In retrospect they were a bit half-arse about the Supra. No Ring lap-time, no high grip tires option, no OEM aero kits, no OEM suspension upgrades and running the same B58 and same tune as the M240i. They still don't have a full range of GR performance part for the car at the dealership now. Even Nissan (a company that doesn't have much development money) has the Nismo Z which from the review I have seen, is probably a more complete car than the GR Supra even though ultimately it may be slower due to the archaic chassis design.

Overall, I am glad they made the A90 Supra and I am glad the Supra is now available with the 6MT. I just hope the business execution can be bolder as it seems they had been very conservative with the performance attributes of the Supra and released it as a softish GT car. I hope a more track focus version (6MT is a must) will be released in the not-too-distant future, and it will not be a limited edition that nobody can get their hands on. Remember this Toyota, the Nismo Z is not limited.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
I am always overtly nice to people at car shows or in social events when they talk about how fast their Civic, corvette, dodge, etc is or "would be" at the track
I always say " oh, that is great, yeah i am sure it is... etc"
then invite them to come to the track as my guest and or check out my youtube channel where mid Atlantic track times are posted. They usually hem and haw about well "i just need to install xx and then it will be ready" I finish with "well you have a great looking car, open invitation if you want to see what it can do on a track"

My best social interactions were a heated series of exchanges on FB with some members of a popular Rally group here in VA. These are the guys that bomb around and terrorize small towns and roads in the mountains or country here. 1 or 2 wreck every event. 6 or so get tickets. and so on. lots of Civic types

I was scolding them and encouraging them to get their fix on a track- again with invitation and they all fired back and attacked me. I believe most rally groups are only a couple steps above "take over" events and really hurt car culture. anyway, was met with :How dare i, we are better drivers, we know what we are doing, etc. They finally organized a track day for themselves and promoted and bragged how they were going to tear up the track with their superior skills.
They posted all their times and the fastest guy was 12 secs slower than me and many were over 20 secs slower than my times. They shut up and a few have actually come to the track to watch our events.

I say all this and freely acknowledge there are faster drivers than me. Nascar has never called me to fill in at road events as a hot shoe, etc. ;)

But i always tell people who argue about who's car is faster on the track to come on- lets go to the track and see?

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I am always overtly nice to people at car shows or in social events when they talk about how fast their Civic, corvette, dodge, etc is or "would be" at the track

I always say " oh, that is great, yeah i am sure it is... etc"

then invite them to come to the track as my guest and or check out my youtube channel where mid Atlantic track times are posted. They usually hem and haw about well "i just need to install xx and then it will be ready" I finish with "well you have a great looking car, open invitation if you want to see what it can do on a track"

But i always tell people who argue about who's car is faster on the track to come on- lets go to the track and see?
Brilliant! That is so spot on brother. There is so much smack talk out there from people that barely get their tires wet (or hot so to speak). They are always one mod away from greatness 😂. I wish there was a magic button for experience. But there’s NOT! That’s the best mod by far - experience. There’s no way around it. Period!!

Now if someone is drag racing, that’s a whole other ball game. And there are tracks for that too. My Supra is fast. But not in a Tesla sprint sense. However, coming out of an apex, going in hot, keeping that average track speed up 🤤 is where this car shines for me. This forum is my closest experience to fb. I got off fakebook years ago. Too many peeps that were amazing keyboard warriors & panties that would wad so easily. Definitely not my thang.

Anyway… thx for reminding me of what I’m not missing on those giant fb public forums. Looking forward to my next track day with like minded people -that just like cars and want to learn more about them. Going fast on track is the added bonus that comes with it 🏎💨

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
This forum is my closest experience to fb. I got off fakebook years ago. Too many peeps that were amazing keyboard warriors & panties that would wad so easily. Definitely not my thang.

Anyway… thx for reminding me of what I’m not missing on those giant fb public forums. Looking forward to my next track day with like minded people -that just like cars and want to learn more about them. Going fast on track is the added bonus that comes with it 🏎💨
The Fakebook car groups, MKV included, are chock full of the biggest megaphone-waving, self aggrandizing tosspots that ever connected to the internet I swear. If the forum is Harvard, FB groups are that one elementary classroom for 'at risk' kids in grades 1-3, intermingling and shouting over each other in a tie-dyed vortex of stupidity.

I'm sure @zrk , @Jesse DaBears , myself, and countless others have suffered slight brain damage from the things we've read, and engagements we've had on there.

Lastly, one thing that irritates me to no end, is the fact that there's 31,500+ members of the "MKV Owner's Group" for a model where roughly 27,000 were sold worldwide thus far. Considering how many actual owners AREN'T in FB groups, and that membership is 95% US and Canada based, there's easily 5-8,000 people in there that don't even own one. What the hell are they doing or contributing? Yes, I know there's people in here that don't own one, but many DID or WILL, and nowhere does it say that this place is for "current owners only."

TL;DR: Facebook car groups are cancer, and you're not really missing anything important by avoiding them...or at least, that's just like, my opinion, man..

Allenyao09

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23' Toyota GR Supra 3.0 MT
Toyota should have done a timed lap at the Ring as a promotion for their halo car.

It's sloppy marketing in my opinion. They tested and developed the Supra at the Ring, they should have done an official lap time with the development driver.

In retrospect they were a bit half-arse about the Supra. No Ring lap-time, no high grip tires option, no OEM aero kits, no OEM suspension upgrades and running the same B58 and same tune as the M240i. They still don't have a full range of GR performance part for the car at the dealership now. Even Nissan (a company that doesn't have much development money) has the Nismo Z which from the review I have seen, is probably a more complete car than the GR Supra even though ultimately it may be slower due to the archaic chassis design.

Overall, I am glad they made the A90 Supra and I am glad the Supra is now available with the 6MT. I just hope the business execution can be bolder as it seems they had been very conservative with the performance attributes of the Supra and released it as a softish GT car. I hope a more track focus version (6MT is a must) will be released in the not-too-distant future, and it will not be a limited edition that nobody can get their hands on. Remember this Toyota, the Nismo Z is not limited.
Yeah the sad truth is that the GR Supra and Z4 didn't get much attention from BMW or Toyota. Manufacturers don't care about them as much as the M cars, although they have so much potential. Making the Supra too good would harm the sales of M cars so BMW definitely wouldn't do it.

Carl - Driveway Labs

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2021 Ascent Touring
The ring as a benchmark now is just a hustle.

Manufacturers will build a car just for the ring, run it 100 times in just the perfect weather and only take the best time they want.

Just take a look at the members here or on social media that are keeping pace with gt3rs's after just doing tires and brakes.
🤷🏿‍♂️

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The ring as a benchmark now is just a hustle.

Manufacturers will build a car just for the ring, run it 100 times in just the perfect weather and only take the best time they want.

Just take a look at the members here or on social media that are keeping pace with gt3rs's after just doing tires and brakes.
🤷🏿‍♂️
Spot on brotha! Even us amateurs adjust our cars depending on the track. The pros will not only change the setup for every track but for the conditions.

Extreme examples of prep: drag race, qualifying lap, sprint race, enduro racing or Nurburgring
(everyone of those cars will be setup differently or fair poorly)
Sponsored

Last edited: