Toyota FT-1 Supra vs Lexus LC

Do you think the new Supra will underpin the Lexus LC?

• Yes, make it a true Toyota!

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • No, it will be a jointly project with BMW.

Votes: 17 68.0%

• Total voters

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
^^^
I also heard that. My first thought was "WTH is he talking about?".
Sponsored

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ Reading that gave me shivers....though one can only speculate and everything he says I do really wish come out true. The fact that quotes have come out about the shared platform being a scaleable platform that can be used for 2 different cars + late interviews with Tada San seem to lean more towards this car unlikely to carry the Supra name. I rather this article hold true but the fact is most 'insiders'/news that have come out all point to a BMW/Toyota partnership for this car. Unless this guy is a true Toyota insider and is spilling some beans before the updated concept debut :spaz:.

Villa Jonny

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus [V8] RCF, Camry [V6] SE
Vehicle Showcase
I was a bit disappointed to find out that the article was clickbait.. Still happy the car is being mentioned and the guy makes great points too. Lol

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
I was a bit disappointed to find out that the article was clickbait.. Still happy the car is being mentioned and the guy makes great points too. Lol
Sorry, I originally had it in the LC thread for this reason.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
For arguments sake, lets say this so happens to be the case. What engine will Toyota be using for this? The same V8 in the RC F and LC500 or will it be the same engine being developed for the LC F? And so what will the outcome of the BMW and Toyota partnership be? The Z4 and SF-R?

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
Adding to the speculation...

@Noble713 did noticed around the 5:00 mark that Sato-san say "The Supra gives me a very natural feel when you turn the steering."

So does this mean that the Supra will underpin the LC? Or because of the language barrier he got confused.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
For arguments sake, lets say this so happens to be the case. What engine will Toyota be using for this? The same V8 in the RC F and LC500 or will it be the same engine being developed for the LC F? And so what will the outcome of the BMW and Toyota partnership be? The Z4 and SF-R?
When I first head of the BMW/Toyota project I thought it was going to be a high end sports car. Like a mid-engine super car to take on Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche and etc.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
It would be sweet if the new Supra came with the 2UR-GSE :D

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It would be sweet if the new Supra came with the 2UR-GSE :D
I wouldn't mind that all. After coming back and reading the article again, it got me thinking. He does make some valid points. If we look at it this way as well, The LC500 was just introduced, and the hybrid version will be revealed at the Geneva auto show. What's next? the LC F. Aikio Toyoda said 'This is only the beginning'. But, what will Lexus/Toyota use under the hood?

Tada San has confirmed that the Supra successor will use Hybrid technology. So if a Toyota sports car will use Hybrid technology, I'm sure the LC F will also be using Hybrid technology. This is the only way I see his story coming true and the 'Supra' name resurrect. My guess would be a V6 Twin turbo (Hybrid)/ with a sequential gear box. Imagine!!!

Otherwise, if the BMW partnership is used for this car we will be seeing a new name. Like it says on his article Toyota did not consider the name 'Supra' for the FRS because it wasn't a pure Toyota product.

Last edited:

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
When I first head of the BMW/Toyota project I thought it was going to be a high end sports car. Like a mid-engine super car to take on Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche and etc.
Idk, If BMW wanted a new M1; I imagine all they would have to do is shove in a V8 or V10 into a reskin i8.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
I wouldn't mind that all. After coming back and reading the article again, it got me thinking. He does make some valid points. If we look at it this way as well, The LC500 was just introduced, and the hybrid version will be revealed at the Geneva auto show. What's next? the LC F. Aikio Toyoda said 'This is only the beginning'. But, what will Lexus/Toyota use under the hood?

Tada San has confirmed that the Supra successor will use Hybrid technology. So if a Toyota sports car will use Hybrid technology, I'm sure the LC F will also be using Hybrid technology. This is the only way I see his story coming true and the 'Supra' name resurrect. My guess would be a V6 Twin turbo (Hybrid)/ with a sequential gear box. Imagine!!!

Otherwise, if the BMW partnership is used for this car we will be seeing a new name. Like it says on his article Toyota did not consider the name 'Supra' for the FRS because it wasn't a pure Toyota product.
LC500 - NA V8
LC500h - Hybrid V6
LC-F - Maybe V8 TT previewed by the LS TMG concept?

Past interviews with TopGear Tada san stated it won't be a hybrid. I don't know who to believe at this point.

The 86 if developed 100% by Toyota wouldn't have used the Supra name aways. The 86 is entry level while the Supra is Toyota's flagship. I think Celica would have been more of a appropriate name.

Idk, If BMW wanted a new M1; I imagine all they would have to do is shove in a V8 or V10 into a reskin i8.

Last edited:

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
Than this argument could be made that BMW has the FWD Mini platform for a Z1/Z2. They also have the 2 and 3/4 series to underpin a Z3/Z4 replacement. So who really knows what is in store.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ that can also be another possibility. Toyota needs to hurry and give us some official news and an updated concept SOON. For now I'm on the fence again hoping this is a full Toyota project, a Supra.

FXuser

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3
That'd be badass but the Supra is going to be the flagship I'm pretty sure it has been said. If a 3 sports car line up it makes more sense to go after the likes of the M4 than go to GTR territory in price. That would leave a huge hole in their line up above the 86.
Sponsored