Turbo upgrade pure 800

mrjozue

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Gr 2022 Premium 3.0, Lexus GX 460 Premium
What oil do I need to use now? I’m in hot weather btw? Upgrade my turbo from stock to pure 800…
Sponsored

Nooka King

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 supra MT, 2012 Mazdaspeed3 w/Tech Pkg
That's a question that will net you multiple different answers based on the preferences of the individual and what they like or have always used. I'm the camp of run what the manufacturer that spent millions of dollars designing our engine says to run ( Whether that's bmw or toyota that has designed it) but I also believe you can run whatever oil you want and as long as you do regular oil changes based on your driving habits you will always be just fine. My 2 cents, some may not agree. Have fun with that pure 800!

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I'm the camp of run what the manufacturer that spent millions of dollars designing our engine says to run
I'm in the camp of the manufacturer didn't spend millions of dollars to put a pure800 on the car or run more that 15-16psi of boost, and you should use an appropriate oil for your application. Using the water that BMW recommends for their all weather USA fuel-economy based application is foolish once you change anything about the car, especially a turbo.

This is the oil I'd put in that setup: Liquimoly 2249 5W-30 Special Tec LL, 5 L

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
I'm in the camp of the manufacturer didn't spend millions of dollars to put a pure800 on the car or run more that 15-16psi of boost, and you should use an appropriate oil for your application. Using the water that BMW recommends for their all weather USA fuel-economy based application is foolish once you change anything about the car, especially a turbo.

This is the oil I'd put in that setup: Liquimoly 2249 5W-30 Special Tec LL, 5 L
Gonna do the same for my Supra's first oil change at 2500. Switching from factory recommended 0W40 to Liquimoly 5W30 stopped my GTI's oil burning.

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
You went to a lighter oil than factory on your GTI.
Well, lighter while warm and thicker cold. I'm sure there are different aspects/additives in the Liquimoly that help too.

I'm no oil expert, but objectively the car went from 1 qt needed per 4k miles to almost none. That's enough for me to endorse the brand.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Well, lighter while warm and thicker cold. I'm sure there are different aspects/additives in the Liquimoly that help too.

I'm no oil expert, but objectively the car went from 1 qt needed per 4k miles to almost none. That's enough for me to endorse the brand.
Lighter at operating temp, which is when the car is driven 😎

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Yeah, I understand but who's to say whether the oil was being burnt while warm or cold?
I'm not questioning that it helped you at all. I was just pointing out the weights since a lot of people get it confused. This was more a general statement and not pointed at you having knowledge of that or not.

I could have been more descriptive in my reply. :)
Sponsored

Last edited: