Camber plates vs adjustable control arms

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I decided to get upgraded SPL parts for the car. Now that I have an adjustable control arm from SPL and previously purchased Versus camber plates (still in the box):

https://www.splparts.com/products/front-lower-control-arms-toyota-supra-gr-a90-bmw-z4-g29.html

https://www.verus-engineering.com/shop/front-camber-plate-assembly-mk5-toyota-supra-1811#attr=199

Any reason why I should keep the camber plates? I realize I can adjust the offset with both but that wasn’t my intention. I can easily return the camber plates and get my money back. I’m only slightly lowered with Eibach lowering springs and will be able to get the camber I need for tracking with the adjustable control arms. I’ll be on stock tires and wheels in town and using an 18 square setup from Apex with 275/35 all around for track.
Sponsored

JoeDaMechanic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 1993 Mazda RX7
I decided to get upgraded SPL parts for the car. Now that I have an adjustable control arm from SPL and previously purchased Versus camber plates (still in the box):

https://www.splparts.com/products/front-lower-control-arms-toyota-supra-gr-a90-bmw-z4-g29.html

https://www.verus-engineering.com/shop/front-camber-plate-assembly-mk5-toyota-supra-1811#attr=199

Any reason why I should keep the camber plates? I realize I can adjust the offset with both but that wasn’t my intention. I can easily return the camber plates and get my money back. I’m only slightly lowered with Eibach lowering springs and will be able to get the camber I need for tracking with the adjustable control arms. I’ll be on stock tires and wheels in town and using an 18 square setup from Apex with 275/35 all around for track.
One main advantage for the camber plates vs the lca is I believe is supposed to be increased clearance for even wider tires. (Can't find the info on this, so thinking maybe I made that up haha)

But one other advantage would be easier camber changes for street vs track.

Last edited:

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
One main advantage for the camber plates vs the lca is I believe is supposed to be increased clearance for even wider tires. (Can't find the info on this, so thinking maybe I made that up haha)

But one other advantage would be easier camber changes for street vs track.
That's not correct. If you change camber from the top where the whole wheel/hub/strut assembly moves forward/aft, you do not gain/lose any clearance. Same thing with the lower LCA, the whole assembly moves forward/aft.

If you have one of the older designs of MacPherson where the strut assembly bolts to the hub with two bolts (not presses into it like the supra) then you can gain/lose tire/wheel clearance with "crash bolts" that move the hub forward/aft independent of the strut assembly.

JoeDaMechanic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That's not correct. If you change camber from the top where the whole wheel/hub/strut assembly moves forward/aft, you do not gain/lose any clearance. Same thing with the lower LCA, the whole assembly moves forward/aft.

If you have one of the older designs of MacPherson where the strut assembly bolts to the hub with two bolts (not presses into it like the supra) then you can gain/lose tire/wheel clearance with "crash bolts" that move the hub forward/aft independent of the strut assembly.
Hence why I said I made it up because I was confusing it with Z suspension. Been a long time since I had the suspension off on the Supra. It was just my wishful thinking it had better front suspension lol.

OP
OP
FLtrackdays

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

So no real benefit unless I want to get crazy with alignment, mess with offset or something outside of my purposes. That’s what I thought and plan on returning them. 👍🏼

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
So no real benefit unless I want to get crazy with alignment, mess with offset or something outside of my purposes. That’s what I thought and plan on returning them. 👍🏼
Yup, also if you want more negative camber than just one can give you.

I have both on my car and run -3.7 in the front.

OP
OP
FLtrackdays

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yup, also if you want more negative camber than just one can give you.

I have both on my car and run -3.7 in the front.
They are not overly expensive. So I can just keep them in case I ever need more…. Gotcha 👌🏼 Will do & appreciate the input!!

JoeDaMechanic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
From
Apex blog
Adjustable camber plates are our preferred method for dialing in camber up front on a MacPherson strut-based suspension like the Supra’s, as tipping the strut inwards at the upper edge tends to provide more fender clearance, but we’ve also seen good results with aftermarket arms.

I knew I read it somewhere!

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
From
Apex blog
Adjustable camber plates are our preferred method for dialing in camber up front on a MacPherson strut-based suspension like the Supra’s, as tipping the strut inwards at the upper edge tends to provide more fender clearance, but we’ve also seen good results with aftermarket arms.

I knew I read it somewhere!
I mean, both do that but yes, the plates would tip it in without adding track width like the LCA would, so technically I guess it would give you more fender clearance.

That's only going to be a possible issue on very wide and tall tires like 295/40 and up.

OP
OP
FLtrackdays

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I don't mind wider in the rear. But definitely don't want wider (or taller) in the front. The 275/35-18 size has lots of good R compound rubber to choose from and will help keep the consumable price down...

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I don't mind wider in the rear. But definitely don't want wider (or taller) in the front. The 275/35-18 size has lots of good R compound rubber to choose from and will help keep the consumable price down...
275/40/18 is closer to stock ratio if you care about your speedo being more accurate. It’s the size I run with Nankang CR-S tires.

30 and 35 will make the speedo be off. 295/30/18 had my speedo off almost 10 mph at 130mph.

OP
OP
FLtrackdays

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
275/40/18 is closer to stock ratio if you care about your speedo being more accurate. It’s the size I run with Nankang CR-S tires.

30 and 35 will make the speedo be off. 295/30/18 had my speedo off almost 10 mph at 130mph.
Good to know! I'll shop those as well. I've been using a XGPS160 SkyPro reciever with Harry's Laptimer and have used Aim Solo 2 in the past. Both have given me really good data acquisition.
Sponsored