Can you say Orella Acoustics???

ronncat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsche Carrera S, Porsche Macan GTS
I have been patiently awaiting (for about 2 years) the release by OEM Audio Plus of their proprietary speakers to go along with their drop in system for the Supra. Happened to call them last week and was informed that they were just finishing up and getting ready for the release of these speakers by their sister company.

I had considered replacing the speakers previously with the Bavsound units and OEM Audio plus already had done the tuning for this setup. That being said, I was willing to wait for the OEM Plus speakers. Enter Orella Acoustics!! They are offering the same 7 speaker series as Bavsound and also replacement subs to make a 9 piece setup. One of the things that bothered me was losing the 2 subs in my OEM Plus setup.... especially after spending the time to do the Tadda porting mod...

Well, when I spoke to Mike at Orella, i found that OEM Plus had modified their tuning in their second phase to include the subs in the mix as more mid bass!! Unfortunately, I had the first release of the DSP amp. Mike told me i could just order the 7 piece set and use my existing amp and flash it for the new speakers....OR..... buy the full 9 piece setup and work with OEM Plus to get me the second generation amplifier. Of course I went for plan B!

Ordered the speakers last Thursday as well as the upgraded amp. Speakers came UPS on Friday night, so i spent half a day each on Saturday and Sunday replacing the speakeres and performing Tadda's door panel modifications. Still awaiting the amplifier, so I can only report that with the "stock speaker" tuning that the sound is both warmer and smoother with the Orella speakers. Volume seems a bit lower as I can raise to 75% without any stress to my ears. Maybe the smoothness of the sound allows higher volume without the strain? Can't wait for the new amp to come so the subs can also be put into the mix. I'm sure the midbase will even be fuller and more prominent. Will report on that when it happens!
Sponsored

Joebednar4

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
What did the new Orella system cost, if you don't mind me asking? Is it priced differently than on their site for the first gen?

OP
OP

ronncat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsche Carrera S, Porsche Macan GTS
The mid/tweeter replacements are the same as the Bavsound @$799. the woofers are a bit less @$499. I think that Orella/Audio Plus is working on an upgrade option for the amp that will also run the woofers. Stay tuned. My amp is on the way!

CafeRacerQueen

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Daniela
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘20 M4 CS, ‘24 GR Supra 45th LE
Also curious as I’ve never heard anything as for feedback from owners

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
Has anyone actually tried to order them? I've been trying for almost a week now. I'd like to get these plus the OEM Audio Plus setup, and take the car apart once.... Sadly, the checkout page seems to be broken, as it requires VIN/year/make/model/trim, but won't recognize that I've actually entered that information....

ANYWAY, if I'm ever able to order this setup, I'll happily review it once I've got everything installed. If I can't, I'm not sure yet if I'll go with the Bavsound setup, keep the speakers stock, or go out-of-the-box and go with the Focal gear.

joeyliv

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91

Gargle my Gabagool

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
Just checked the Orella website last night and they updated their checkout form and it let me buy a set of their speakers, fyi @Tsuki in case you’re still looking to pick a set up

CafeRacerQueen

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Daniela
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘20 M4 CS, ‘24 GR Supra 45th LE
Just checked the Orella website last night and they updated their checkout form and it let me buy a set of their speakers, fyi @Tsuki in case you’re still looking to pick a set up
Thank God because their website has been broken forever. I even contacted them and they still never even got back to me.

Gargle my Gabagool

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
They did the same thing to me too when I tried to buy them last. I’ll keep the thread updated and post pics when I get the speakers in and shit

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
It's been a while since I've looked at the plug-n-play systems.

I remember OEM Audio+ being a lot cheaper prior to 2023 when it was a single amp system. But now it's $3k for the dual amp. And that uses the OEM speakers.

Not sure how I feel about spending $3k on an amp and a sub box that deletes the OEM subs which means you're turning the OEM speaker shelf back there into dead weight AND installing another sub enclosure to reduce the hatch space even more. Hmmm.

Now, I've seen that their website has also been updated to be compatible with both Orella and Bavsound speaker replacement systems.

While that's adding another $1200 extra for the Orella complete speaker replacement and $1400 for the Bavsound, it still keeps the OEMAudio+ system's sub enclosure and turns the dual 8" replacement woofers and "reassigns them as mid-bass" woofers instead of subs.

So for those wanting to keep the original 8" woofers as subs, replacing the factory amp, replacing all the speakers and NOT introducing an additional sub enclosure, the Alpha One system can do that for $3600.

OEM Audio+ originally stated that the factory speakers are "fine" and that only the amp needed to be upgraded and that the OEM woofers sucked (for lack of a better term) which is why they designed a separate sub enclosure. While Bavsound/Orella are convinced that the speakers need to be replaced (including the inadequate woofers) and be used with the factory amp instead. Very confusing.

Seems like if you want to keep the factory look and not give up any additional hatch space is to go with the Alpha One speakers/amp set up as it looks the most OEM in the end.

Please chime in. There are tons of intake and exhaust comparisons out there, but I feel there's a lack of field testing and feedback on the available plug-n-play systems available.

Gargle my Gabagool

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
From what I can tell the OEM Audio+ system got slightly reworked and now takes tadda's feedback and retains the factory subs regardless if you swap speaker sets or not but reassigns them to do midbass while the sub enclosure they add acts as deep bass. I'm not sure how much this really differs from the Alpha One setup in actual sound, which keeps the factory subs as deep bass.

Cost-wise they end up not being horribly far apart though. The Alpha One set in total costs 3600 plus tax, the OEM Audio+ w/ Orella ends up at around 4250 plus tax. Really depends if having an extra sub and the factory ones working as mid bass instead ends up actually sounding better enough to be worth 600 dollars, I guess.

I haven't seen anything about the Alpha One amp but the few videos I've seen on the OEM Audio+ enclosure after they stopped deleting the factory subs have been pretty positive.

EDIT: Plus if you're going for cost you could just do the Alpha One AMP + Orella Speakers, since they're a few hundred less than Alpha One's set of speakers ands they're pretty well reviewed from what I've seen. That'd end up being 3250 versus 3600 for the A1 setup or 4250 for the Oem Audio+ Orella combo. :dunno:

Last edited:

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
Good idea. I've been reading some reports of BMW owners only upgrading to the Alpha One amp and being thrilled by the results on factory speakers alone.

Kies Motorsports has been doing some diy's with just the amp upgrade as well and suggested it as the first step prior to speaker upgrades too.

I have done the Tadda mod as the op had mentioned and didn't want to give up on that location with the OEM Audio+ sub even though it now just adds to the experience. Adding another enclosure into the already small hatch area isn't something I'm willing to do personally.

I may just do the A1 amp and see how things sound in comparison. Then upgrade speakers later.

Not sure on Bavsound, Alpha One or Orella. I'm liking the Orella setup but haven't heard much about them other than in Teslas. Interesting how they combine the center and rear speakers as coaxials instead of a component setup like Bavsound and Alpha One.

allendoc

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium Matte Metallic Night Blue Wrap
If you can find a Dealer, you can swap the stock BMW JBL amp out for a https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/helix/accessories/sdmi25 and https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/match/amplifiers/up-8dsp (https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/match/amplifiers/up-8bmw might give you the correct connector now). This 8 channel amp will have a line out that can go to your choice of Sub and Amp.

Then just configure the DSP, https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/matchdatabase/soundIndex using a BMW generic file will get you close, just change the distance on the rears. Also make sure you change to Optical L/R as your inputs is the DSP PC 5 software. The Virtual can be harder, so I cheated, I mapped Optical L/R to Virtual A/B, then used Virtual A/B for all Speaker inputs since you lose the Fade using just two Optical Inputs.

To fix the losing your FADE (If you like for more of a rear sound), in the DSP software, you can tune the "front L/R full" to a -7.5 DB, I left "center full" at -1.5 DB. then "Rear L/R full" to +1db. I configured my Stock subs to 60Hz-120Hz, and lineout I used the Virtual Sub in the DSP software, but I had to tune it 30-65hz and at -10db to allow me to use my remote volume.

I might install a https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/brax/accessories/director-display-remote-control to change between the 8 stored presets.

Personally, I do not think the Speakers in our Supra are the issue, it is the AMP and not using the DSP it could, the signal is already Optical.

This Z4 was my inspiration: https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1804082&page=2 (post 39)

Last edited:

Gargle my Gabagool

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
So having had the Orella set installed for a few days here are my current observations. Note, I have done the speaker porting plus the door deadening from Tadda's excellent threads and I have the awful OEM AMP. Most of the speakers are stamped saying their impedance is 2 OHMs.

The midrange setup sounds really good, better to my untrained ear. With the stock speakers if the sound was turned up a bit you'd get pretty harsh notes towards the high end which is now totally gone with the Orella stuff.

However, the subwoofers are a mixed bag, they're a lot punchier but they kind of sound off? I think they're causing something to vibrate that the stock subs weren't so I'm going to tear the car apart tonight/tomorrow and make sure the subs are actually seated/secured properly. They could just be specifically tuned/made to work in the capacity the OEM Audio+ amp uses them in but none of the EQ settings are really doing anything to lessen the unpleasant sound they're making and it's worse on the driver's side sub to my ear than the passenger.

Might be that bolt my dumbass dropped in the driver's side quarter panel vibrating :dunno:
Sponsored