Changing Stock Charge pipe on 2021 Supra?

ArmenLS1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Type R
Hey guys, found a few topics in the forums about this but nothing solid. Are the stock charge pipes really prone to cracking? Is there any benefit to changing it out to an aftermarket silicon one from a safety/reliability and performance standpoint? Thanks.
Sponsored

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Hey guys, found a few topics in the forums about this but nothing solid. Are the stock charge pipes really prone to cracking? Is there any benefit to changing it out to an aftermarket silicon one from a safety/reliability and performance standpoint? Thanks.
No benefit, and they’re not prone to cracking like the Gen 1s. Even under elevated boost.

Aftermarket chargepipes are good for meth or nitrous, or if you need to move it’s location (aftermarket turbo).

OP
OP
ArmenLS1

ArmenLS1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Type R
No benefit, and they’re not prone to cracking like the Gen 1s. Even under elevated boost.

Aftermarket chargepipes are good for meth or nitrous, or if you need to move it’s location (aftermarket turbo).
Thanks for the quick response! When you say Gen 1 you mean the issue was with the 2020 models?

A90.C

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra, 2015 BMW 335i
Even gen 1 b58 charge pipes are just fine. It was the previous N series motors that you had to worry about cracking the charge pipes on. It would break at the throttle body as that part moved with the engine under load and the other side was connected to a stationary air-to-air Intercooler.

With the B58, including gen 1, switching to air-to-water eliminated that issue.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Even gen 1 b58 charge pipes are just fine. It was the previous N series motors that you had to worry about cracking the charge pipes on. It would break at the throttle body as that part moved with the engine under load and the other side was connected to a stationary air-to-air Intercooler.

With the B58, including gen 1, switching to air-to-water eliminated that issue.
Gen 1 B58s suffered from "bursting" at "high" boost pressure. ~24-25psi, which is too much from the stock turbo anyway. I wasn't referring to the N55s cracking under engine twisting.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
No need, my car makes 500 wheel, e50 fbo 2 port, and I have the stock chargepipe, lots of the aftermarket ones are prone to slipping the coupler and for me that is more headache then it is worth, since I don't run meth or nitrous.

OP
OP
ArmenLS1

ArmenLS1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Type R
lol, thanks for the replies guys. What about the air intake part? Did you guys change the stock box for something after market?
Sponsored