Coverage question for roof wraps

SKW-TX

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro Yellow
I had the roof wrapped in 3M carbon fiber on nitro yellow. For those who have done likewise contrasting colors, are installers having issues fully covering the rear of the roof where the weather stripping meets? I had it re-done twice by two different installers with similar results, thin lines of yellow showing (everything else is perfect). Just wanted to see if this is just how it is and what possible options might be possible to remediate, maybe mold and hold? Just not sure how that would hold on the weather stripping.
Sponsored

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
I just had mine done with my friend. unless weather strip is removed and reinstalled, tucking in the vinyl under the weather strip was pretty hard, at least for me. Btw, this was very first time I was wrapping anything ever in my life. The weather strip in question is glued and you will need to re-glue it or buy a new weather strip once removed. I did not opted to do any of those knowing that it might show.. perhaps very seasoned and confident installer may be able to tuck it in under the weather strip.

So, in other word, it is possible but it may cost you more.

wolf_kyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 GR Supra, 1996 NA Miata, 2014 Camry SE
I just had mine done with my friend. unless weather strip is removed and reinstalled, tucking in the vinyl under the weather strip was pretty hard, at least for me. Btw, this was very first time I was wrapping anything ever in my life. The weather strip in question is glued and you will need to re-glue it or buy a new weather strip once removed. I did not opted to do any of those knowing that it might show.. perhaps very seasoned and confident installer may be able to tuck it in under the weather strip.

So, in other word, it is possible but it may cost you more.

oh did you wrap your whole car? (coming from the other thread)

2k20HTownMKV

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra; 2017 Lexus RX 350 F sport; 2013 Honda Accord (daily)
Vehicle Showcase
i wrapped my roof and did not remove the weatherstrip on the rear window due to it being a pia. Basically i tucked it in as far as i could without compromising the weather strip and then took a fine blade to it while using a placard to get as far to the edge as possible. Actually you cant even see the difference on my car since its dark.

jgoad13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Launch Edition #422
I haven't wrapped this roof yet but have done a lot of other cars and looking at the weatherstripping on my Supra there shouldn't be any reason you cant tuck it. Installer should be taping over the weatherstripping with painters tape, then cutting the vinyl 1/4" past the seam, then tucking the 1/4" under the strip.

OP
OP

SKW-TX

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro Yellow
Thanks for the replies, appreciate it. Looks like I will be taking it back for a third attempt, hopefully get it 100%. I have had other cars done in the past, with no issues whatsoever. This is the first time to experience this, especially twice, with two different, very experienced shops. Fingers crossed......
Sponsored