Engine tick tick noise after shutdown

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Mine ticks plenty, just not like that. Slow and random ticks. It's just the cool down for mine
That’s definitely the case too. I notice more after I track. Of course everything is expanding and contracting given that kind of heat. I check my tire pressure sometimes after track. I literally burn the hair off my fingers when not wearing gloves. It’s that hot. It’s just knuckle hair, so no biggie. But @JoshuaQ and others are absolutely right about the cooling ticks. That even my Mazda does.

If it eventually shuts up, I wouldn’t worry about it @BumbleBoi . But if you come back out there and hours later it’s still making noises, that’s definitely not a cooling issue (contraction), mine eventually shuts up.

When does it stop making these noises?

Last edited:
OP
OP
BumbleBoi

BumbleBoi

First Name
LT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5 supra
That’s definitely the case too. I notice more after I track. Of course everything is expanding and contracting given that kind of heat. I check my tire pressure sometimes after track. I literally burn the hair off my fingers when not wearing gloves. It’s that hot. It’s just knuckle hair, so no biggie. But @JoshuaQ and others are absolutely right about the cooling ticks. That even my Mazda does.

If it eventually shuts up, I wouldn’t worry about it @BumbleBoi . But if you come back out there and hours later it’s still making noises, that’s definitely not a cooling issue (contraction) or the computer doing it’s thing, mine eventually shuts up as well.

When does it stop making these noises?
Around 30seconds or so the ticks stop

K77

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mini Cooper SD
Around 30seconds or so the ticks stop
hi I know this was a few months ago but did you ever get to the bottom of this sound, if there’s an issue or not? My car is doing the same. Thank you

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
hi I know this was a few months ago but did you ever get to the bottom of this sound, if there’s an issue or not? My car is doing the same. Thank you
Yes, my wife made fun of me and said it’s the electronic and to drop it 😞

She’s right. It’s perfectly normal. Both our cars do it. The Supra and VW GTI. Only if I stick around in my quiet garage too long to hear it. I still lock the doors now all the time from some dadgum photo someone shared (from the dealer) saying to do so…

K77

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mini Cooper SD
Yes, my wife made fun of me and said it’s the electronic and to drop it 😞

She’s right. It’s perfectly normal. Both our cars do it. The Supra and VW GTI. Only if I stick around in my quiet garage too long to hear it. I still lock the doors now all the time from some dadgum photo someone shared (from the dealer) saying to do so…
Thanks for the reply! We’re talking about that mechanical clicking after shut down right? It lasts about 10 seconds for me. The same sound from bumbleboi video, (Not the general clinky metal noises on cool down).

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks for the reply! We’re talking about that mechanical clicking after shut down right? It lasts about 10 seconds for me. The same sound from bumbleboi video, (Not the general clinky metal noises on cool down).
Yessa! It’s perfectly normal
Sponsored