czzisaman

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra Tungsten
July 2023 Update:
ECU sync at home successfully with Femto, car is now finally fully tunable.

1690843406008.jpeg

Been procrastinating and finally did the remote syncing with Femto. Since all of my process was DIY, here to provide more write up for those of you on the same route.

The remote sync is required for the cloned donor ECU before it's functional on the car. Femto told me that a ENET - OBD dungle is needed, which is about $10 from Amazon. (The one I got: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095S14WD5?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details)

With that you connect a Windows computer to the car, then Femto will remote control your computer via Autodesk. It's worth mentioning you will need decent wifi connection. I used my phone's hotspot for the laptop and gladly it all worked out. Femto will schedule an appointment with you from EST 11 am -1 pm Mon-Fri, all free no extra charge.

Before the sync, you will need to remove original ECU from the car, install the clone in it. The pins are very hard to fully lock in, so be sure to press hard. Install from the last one to the next one in the front, in that order it's easier to press in.

Once ready, you provide the Autodesk credential to them, either via email/IG, I did both. They connect, 5 mins later, all set. Specifically, you will need to press start button 3x to put the car in diagnosis. Femto has a software which I believe communicate with the ECU once it's on the car. Once done, you will be able to start the engine with the clone, and it's good to go. Note that it may require a bench unlock still, which can cost between $300-500.

Now mine's finally ready for Ecutek. Currently there's one donor ECU from a 2019 M320i ready to ship, let me know if you need it!
Sponsored

MoTeC_R

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 & 2022 A91-CF
Here to update my experience with Femto shipping through DHL!

Got my donor ECU through an international source back in Oct, did a few more events to finish off the season, and now finally completed the Femto clone & unlock!

Whole process took 9 days. I went to my local DHL last Tuesday to ship, it got back this Thursday.

Here's the whole process:
Early Oct: Sourced Donor ECU internationally, from a 2020 x7
11/1/2022: Shipped to Femto via DHL Express
11/10/2022: Got the donor and original ECU back, ready to tune.

Cost:
ECU: $2200
Shipping to Femto: $170
Femto Tune (include return shipping): $1050
Total: $3420

My donor ECU didn't have the VIN, but after confirming with the source that is from a Gen2 B58 with late 2019 - early 2020 build date, I pulled the trigger. In addition I got the 95% sure from Femto after checking part number. It's not 100% but for power and progressing this car I think it's fine.

Glad was able to source a few more ECUs for members here, negotiated price down to $2k shipped with possible discount on shipping based on locations.

Let me know if you need one too, currently all taken but the source could potentially find more!

WeChat Image_20221110144929.jpg
WeChat Image_20221110144925.jpg

July 2023 Update:
ECU sync at home successfully with Femto, car is now finally fully tunable.
1690843314599.jpeg

Been procrastinating and finally did the remote syncing with Femto. Since all of my process was DIY, here to provide more write up for those of you on the same route.

The remote sync is required for the cloned donor ECU before it's functional on the car. Femto told me that a ENET - OBD dungle is needed, which is about $10 from Amazon. (The one I got: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095S14WD5?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details)

With that you connect a Windows computer to the car, then Femto will remote control your computer via Autodesk. It's worth mentioning you will need decent wifi connection. I used my phone's hotspot for the laptop and gladly it all worked out. Femto will schedule an appointment with you from EST 11 am -1 pm Mon-Fri, all free no extra charge.

Before the sync, you will need to remove original ECU from the car, install the clone in it. The pins are very hard to fully lock in, so be sure to press hard. Install from the last one to the next one in the front, in that order it's easier to press in.

Once ready, you provide the Autodesk credential to them, either via email/IG, I did both. They connect, 5 mins later, all set. Specifically, you will need to press start button 3x to put the car in diagnosis. Femto has a software which I believe communicate with the ECU once it's on the car. Once done, you will be able to start the engine with the clone, and it's good to go. Note that it may require a bench unlock still, which can cost between $300-500.

Now mine's finally ready for Ecutek. Currently there's one donor ECU from a 2019 M320i ready to ship, let me know if you need it!
So more answers for those who are interested in cloningā€¦.

You must have a coding session after receiving your ECU/DMEā€™s back from FEMTO. They need to code it in while itā€™s installed in the car to be able to start (immobilizer). You may also need a bench unlock (cost unknown mine was previously bench unlocked) on the donor if it wasnā€™t previously unlocked after receiving the donor back from FEMTO. All the sites selling a cloning product donā€™t explain this and say youā€™ll receive your ECU/DMEs both back and ready to tune when in fact you must have a final coding with FEMTO (Free) afterwards to use the cloned unit. Keep in mind even if you donā€™t plan to use Ecutek it allows you to switch tuning platforms (need whole new unlock from FEMTO without a clone to switch) from if you ever want to as it provides you a fully unlocked DME vs a partial unlock and you can always resell the ECU/DME clone if you ever decide to sell the car without the value of the cars value being potentially affected from the original ECU/DME being modified. Only you know what solution works best for your situation. Just figured Iā€™d shed some light on the topic since itā€™s definitely not communicated clearly for customers. The clone is a little more on the front end but definitely future proofs you if you are the type of person that may be undecided on your end power goals but want to mod now.

(also said above as Autodesk but FEMTO codes via Anydesk not Autodesk)

https://anydesk.com/

Sort of a pain but they donā€™t really schedule you for a coding session they have you email them from 6pm-8pm GMT+3 (Russia time zone) currently 7 hours ahead of EST depending on daylight savings) and have everything set up and wait for them to code you.
Sponsored

Last edited: