Front facing intake?

COLLINS

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
So, I love the look & sound of the G-series B58 & S58 front facing intake kits, and it got me curious if someone makes it for the Supra. After some digging I couldn’t find anything with the filter at the end (behind grill area), and yes I have previously seen the big mouth intake vents that feed the air box from grill area.

Does anyone make one, or do I have to make one myself? If I do design it and make it, any ideas on hurdles I would face?
Sponsored

Last edited:

exe36m3

First Name
Percy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW
I agree, these look pretty amazing.

My 2-cents, I had a similar intake on my BMW E36 M3, a Dinan unit, which put the K&N filter essentially in the lower grill area of the bumper. So air would hit the lower radiator and move to the right, into the air filter. Not as direct as the S58 below, but same idea - air intake near a source of fresh cool, air.

However, given the filter was an oiled/gauze unit, it would dirty pretty quick. I used to change mine out every 3-4 months to assure it was as clean as possible because, when these filters get dirty, the performance drop is noticeable. But I also commuted (75 miles a day) in this car so just more "stuff" to deal with on the road than most.

If you go this route, I suggest buying a 2nd set of filters to swap in once the 1st set gets dirty. As cleaning the K&N unit involves a good Simple Green bath, rinse, dry, re-oil, and sit to let the excess oil drain off/dry. It's an easy week long process. And maybe once a year, consider cleaning the MAF sensor as those types of filters coat the sensor in a lot of dust and oil vapor.

S58-Titanium-Front-Mount-Air-Intake-Kit-BMW-G80-M3-G82G83-M4-G87-M2_753ad97b-1c15-4f7a-a3c2-93...jpg

OP
OP
COLLINS

COLLINS

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
I agree, these look pretty amazing.

My 2-cents, I had a similar intake on my BMW E36 M3, a Dinan unit, which put the K&N filter essentially in the lower grill area of the bumper. So air would hit the lower radiator and move to the right, into the air filter. Not as direct as the S58 below, but same idea - air intake near a source of fresh cool, air.

However, given the filter was an oiled/gauze unit, it would dirty pretty quick. I used to change mine out every 3-4 months to assure it was as clean as possible because, when these filters get dirty, the performance drop is noticeable. But I also commuted (75 miles a day) in this car so just more "stuff" to deal with on the road than most.

If you go this route, I suggest buying a 2nd set of filters to swap in once the 1st set gets dirty. As cleaning the K&N unit involves a good Simple Green bath, rinse, dry, re-oil, and sit to let the excess oil drain off/dry. It's an easy week long process. And maybe once a year, consider cleaning the MAF sensor as those types of filters coat the sensor in a lot of dust and oil vapor.

S58-Titanium-Front-Mount-Air-Intake-Kit-BMW-G80-M3-G82G83-M4-G87-M2_753ad97b-1c15-4f7a-a3c2-93...jpg
I’ve run plenty of k&n/reusable filters before in the past. Always a great suggestion to buy an extra while you clean/dry. Thanks!

Looking into this more I think I can buy a big mouth vent/snorkel, and use the airbox connection to go to the 90° coupler after which I can run my tubing to a filter.

The next logistics issue is how can a create a temporary (Mock up/prototype/test) piece to seal from the intake tubing (side that connects to airbox/filter) to the rectangular piece that goes through the core support area behind the headlight.

if anyone has an idea about how to handle that strange shape, lmk. If this works (sounds louder, lowers iats 🤷‍♂️), then the next step is do some 3d printing and slip-joints to recreate the shape and mold it directly to tubing.
Sponsored