Glencoe, Scotland

MK_Surrey

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lightning Yellow 3.0 Pro (2022 Delivery)
Nice!

How are you finding the car in the snow? What tyres are you running?

Asking for Northern Irish winters.

OP
OP
djbilly

djbilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 Pro
Nice!

How are you finding the car in the snow? What tyres are you running?

Asking for Northern Irish winters.
New set of PS4S added two weeks or so ago.

They were fine yesterday, but wouldn't be great in real thick snow I'd imagine.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
New set of PS4S added two weeks or so ago.

They were fine yesterday, but wouldn't be great in real thick snow I'd imagine.
Hope Iā€™m not starting another topic here by asking this, but Iā€™m intrigued about the PS4S in the cold weather. In the US they are deemed a summer tire yet I hear Chris Harris using them on his M2 CS and Harry Metcalfe using them on his Project 8 for the winter months. Are they a different compound across the pond than what we get here in America?

MK_Surrey

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lightning Yellow 3.0 Pro (2022 Delivery)
Hope Iā€™m not starting another topic here by asking this, but Iā€™m intrigued about the PS4S in the cold weather. In the US they are deemed a summer tire yet I hear Chris Harris using them on his M2 CS and Harry Metcalfe using them on his Project 8 for the winter months. Are they a different compound across the pond than what we get here in America?
I can't answer in technical terms but I had them on my Golf R and they always felt confident in the UK winter, even in light snow and below freezing temperatures. Obviously driving in line with the conditions and mostly on major roads but I never felt the need to change for winter.

Our winters, in general, are a lot milder than many areas of the US so it might just not be a fair comparison comparing your winter conditions to ours.

Chris Harris is based in the South of the UK which is significantly milder than other parts of the UK, so again his reporting is likely not comparable to your winter conditions.

Tomato Tomato ?

OP
OP
djbilly

djbilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 Pro
No idea if they're a different compound I'm afraid.

I much prefer them to the regular Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The PS4S provides a lot more confidence in wet conditions, which we get a lot of here in Scotland.

Octane

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra
Are you sure you aren't talking about the PA4 rather than PS4S? I had PS4s on my m4 here in Chicago and once had an emergency where I needed to drive the M4. There wasn't much, if any, snow on the ground (maybe 0.2") but it was single digit temperatures as well. It was a HORRIBLE drive. Not only was there minimal grip to go forward, the car fishtailed every time I hit the gas. && the braking distance was beyond dangerous. (Luckily only needed to go about 3 miles)

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Are you sure you aren't talking about the PA4 rather than PS4S? I had PS4s on my m4 here in Chicago and once had an emergency where I needed to drive the M4. There wasn't much, if any, snow on the ground (maybe 0.2") but it was single digit temperatures as well. It was a HORRIBLE drive. Not only was there minimal grip to go forward, the car fishtailed every time I hit the gas. && the braking distance was beyond dangerous. (Luckily only needed to go about 3 miles)
Nope. Messers Harris and Metcalfe both mentioned using the PS4S specifically in the winter months in the UK. Hence my curiosity. I would expect an experience much like what you had when driving with them in that weather. Hell, the Super Sports on mine lit the traction light up when the outside temp was in the low 50s and tire temps in the low 60s. Although different than the PS4S they both have the same recommended driving conditions. Also, again apologies to OP for hijacking his thread of lovely driving pictures in one of the most, if not the most, beautiful parts of the world.
Sponsored

Last edited: