Got a 94' MKIV TT Auto....Super Clean!

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
I came across this beautiful MKIV TT Auto all original 2 owner car with 53k miles for a really, really, really good price. I wasn't really planning on ever buying one of these, but a good buy popped up at the right time. I like the MKV Supra alot too, and my brother has one so it didn't make sense to get another. I figure, with the extra money I am saving vs. the GTR, I can put it into the MKIV Supra and have a good fast street car. I still plan on owning a GTR in the future, but this deal was too good to pass up. I ordered a few 97-98 parts to upgrade for it; headlights, taillights, steering wheel, and badging.

thumbnail-IMG-1380.jpg

thumbnail-IMG-1431.jpg

thumbnail-IMG-1432.jpg

thumbnail-IMG-1433.jpg
Sponsored

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Nice! I would keep it stock and locked up in the garage. With more and more A80s being wrecked and riced out these things will be worth a fortune.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Do you plan to leave it auto? or do a manual swap? Awesome ride and congrats!

OP
OP
PerformanceSound

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you plan to leave it auto? or do a manual swap? Awesome ride and congrats!
So, itā€™s funny you mention transmission decision. I actually want to keep it auto....but go ATF built. Reason being, so many high-performance cars nowadays are running autoā€™s and to be honest, there is no keeping up. My brothers MKV Supra shifts so fast that I canā€™t imagine running a modded MKIV manual car against a modded MKV and winning. Sure, manual is fun and more ā€œengagingā€ and I have owned several manual cars in the past, but...after seeing what kind of numbers R35 GTR are running and how much a fast auto car can gap you as you shift a manual....im convinced a built auto is the way to go. No to mention its so damn comfortable to drive around town.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
Clean car, that's a nice rare find! Good call on the '98 heads/tails; they really 'un-date' the look dramatically.

I'd forgot that built A340e idea, though, unless you're just being stubborn and trying to prove some point. There are 100x more cons than pros and you have the priceless benefit of hindsight to not repeat the same mistakes so many others have made thinking it was a good idea too LOL. A Grannas swap will be much cheaper in the long run (if not up front), 100% bullet proof and well.. ..a manual trans! Resale is significantly better, if that were to ever come into the equation. Staying the auto route means you need to size the entire package appropriately for your exact engine/turbo setup, so you need to essentially plan/build everything at once . Why? Because the convertor is the most important part of the equation and that takes some trial and error even with a well-defined setup. Change the setup and you need to change the convertor again. Lots of wrenching, downtime, shipping, etc.. The A340e also greatly limits your ECU options -- pretty much only ProEFI or Motec unless you don't want flex fuel, in which case you can live with AEM v2. Regardless, you will need a GREAT tuner to keep it alive for the few thousand miles its destined to live (best case). You also need to consider all of the extra cooling you'll need to build and then you're changing a dozen or more quarts of ATF at every engine oil change. They require constant care and feeding, watching and managing temps, etc.. and at the end of the day it's still a slushbox from the 80's and they just don't live very long no matter what you do.

Lastly, a pro-tip: Never do a burnout in auto mode; always shift to L (1st). If it shifts into 2nd gear while spinning it can (and eventually will) roll the sprag and trans is toast.

OP
OP
PerformanceSound

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Clean car, that's a nice rare find! Good call on the '98 heads/tails; they really 'un-date' the look dramatically.

I'd forgot that built A340e idea, though, unless you're just being stubborn and trying to prove some point. There are 100x more cons than pros and you have the priceless benefit of hindsight to not repeat the same mistakes so many others have made thinking it was a good idea too LOL. A Grannas swap will be much cheaper in the long run (if not up front), 100% bullet proof and well.. ..a manual trans! Resale is significantly better, if that were to ever come into the equation. Staying the auto route means you need to size the entire package appropriately for your exact engine/turbo setup, so you need to essentially plan/build everything at once . Why? Because the convertor is the most important part of the equation and that takes some trial and error even with a well-defined setup. Change the setup and you need to change the convertor again. Lots of wrenching, downtime, shipping, etc.. The A340e also greatly limits your ECU options -- pretty much only ProEFI or Motec unless you don't want flex fuel, in which case you can live with AEM v2. Regardless, you will need a GREAT tuner to keep it alive for the few thousand miles its destined to live (best case). You also need to consider all of the extra cooling you'll need to build and then you're changing a dozen or more quarts of ATF at every engine oil change. They require constant care and feeding, watching and managing temps, etc.. and at the end of the day it's still a slushbox from the 80's and they just don't live very long no matter what you do.

Lastly, a pro-tip: Never do a burnout in auto mode; always shift to L (1st). If it shifts into 2nd gear while spinning it can (and eventually will) roll the sprag and trans is toast.
Thanks. All good recommendations, very much inline with what a few high HP Auto guys have told me. My biggest deciding factor with going manual is the tunnel swap and cutting into the body for a clutch cylinder. I donā€™t plan on ever selling it, but at the same time I wouldnā€™t rule out a clean swap. Iā€™ve seen some really shady manual swaps. Sure the 6pds are more valuable, however, I donā€™t think a MKIV this clean in any trim will ever pop-up on the market at the price I paid for it...and so a a drastic change like a manual swap is a tough decision. I am tempted to pull the trigger on that one brand new V160 on eBay, but the T56 seems like a better buy. Motec is what Iā€™m aiming for, just because of itā€™s flexibility to handle not only a manual conversion (if I ever decide to go that route), but because they can do magic with other Auto trans (6r80ā€™s) shifting....it might be the only option??? Not sure on that. Much pricier but itā€™s a great ECU. For now, just refreshing it until the garage lift gets installed, then I will have a better (more concrete) idea of the route to go. Some of these Auto TTā€™s out there though.....stupid fast.

Last edited:

Illsic_Design

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E92 335i N54, 4G63T Mighty Max
Nice car!

I thought you had already bought a skyline like a year or so ago and were just trying to get it imported?

OP
OP
PerformanceSound

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nice car!

I thought you had already bought a skyline like a year or so ago and were just trying to get it imported?
Had a few ā€œproblemsā€ getting an R34 stateside...but itā€™s not stopping me ;). Patience.

SupraMKV2.0

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twinskrulldesign.com
Car(s)
2023 M550i, 2023 M340i, 2021 Supra