How does the Tesla Model 3 stack up to the upcoming sports cars?

smokie

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
05 Evo RS
Anyone's take on the upcoming EVs? Instant torque, handling is good even though they weight a ton somewhat similar to s2000 for the Model 3. They may not put down super 1/4 miles times or 0-60 times, but I don't think that is their purpose.

Is it just me or is it more logical to just buy a Model 3 than any other car? No car maintenance, no more gas.

I guess the only thing bad is range, but compared to ICE cars they're pretty similar at this point.
Sponsored

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone's take on the upcoming EVs? Instant torque, handling is good even though they weight a ton somewhat similar to s2000 for the Model 3. They may not put down super 1/4 miles times or 0-60 times, but I don't think that is their purpose.

Is it just me or is it more logical to just buy a Model 3 than any other car? No car maintenance, no more gas.

I guess the only thing bad is range, but compared to ICE cars they're pretty similar at this point.
Have you driven any of the Teslas? They are in no way, shape, or form sports cars. Nor are they really comparable.

Let me preface by saying, I am a big fan of electric vehicles, and more power to anyone who owns a Tesla. BUT...

-They all have terminal understeer, which is fine for a regular road car, not a sports car.
-They have no steering feel or even chassis communication by any means
-They absolutely cook pads and rotors when driven aggressively
-About 10-12 laps on any standard circuit will drain the battery at full attack.

If you want to compare an Model 3 to an Accord or even an A4 or something, yeah it's probably a great buy as a street car. But sports cars serve vastly a different purpose, and thus far there isn't an electric car that has fulfilled those requirements.