iDrive Died/Turned Off While Driving

climhazzard

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Has anyone's iDrive randomly turned off while cruising down the road?

I took the Supra out for a drive today due to the amazing (for VA in January) weather and about 45 minutes in, the iDrive screen suddenly shuts off along with the radio and I suspect safety/cameras (no MPH display, though that may have just been due to the road I was on). No obvious errors were displayed just...no iDrive or related functionality.

I pulled over and cycled the engine on/off but that didn't help. 15 minutes later iDrive came back on while I was driving home, and I had no problems after that. Very strange.
Sponsored

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
Yep. Has happened a couple of times. Seems to reboot/restart on its own in a few minutes.

OP
OP
climhazzard

climhazzard

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Yep. Has happened a couple of times. Seems to reboot/restart on its own in a few minutes.
Thanks! ā€œGladā€ itā€™s not just me. It sure did take a while to reboot on its own, but I did some googling and supposedly iDrive can be rebooted by holding down the power button for ~30 seconds. Iā€™ll give that a try if it happens again.

I should have mentioned I have a 2021 3.0, build date in March (2020). Has around 900 miles on it. Is yours a ā€˜21 as well?

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
2021, July 2021 Build Date. Has done this maybe 5-6 times in the last few weeks. 20-sec hold of the volume button will reboot the system if needed. I just let it sit, it seems to reboot on its own.

One thing I've noticed, it tends to crash when doing something related to Carplay. In general, I find the Carplay implementation very inconsistent. Can connect instantly sometimes; other, it doesn't see my phone at all. Not a big deal to me, Carplay is a nice addon, but native iDrive is good, too, and much more stable.

GreyMadder

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tungsten A90 Premium, 08 Tundra, 04 GX470
Has anyone's iDrive randomly turned off while cruising down the road?

I took the Supra out for a drive today due to the amazing (for VA in January) weather and about 45 minutes in, the iDrive screen suddenly shuts off along with the radio and I suspect safety/cameras (no MPH display, though that may have just been due to the road I was on). No obvious errors were displayed just...no iDrive or related functionality.

I pulled over and cycled the engine on/off but that didn't help. 15 minutes later iDrive came back on while I was driving home, and I had no problems after that. Very strange.

What part of VA? Im in Williamsburg.

OP
OP
climhazzard

climhazzard

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
was
2021, July 2021 Build Date. Has done this maybe 5-6 times in the last few weeks. 20-sec hold of the volume button will reboot the system if needed. I just let it sit, it seems to reboot on its own.

One thing I've noticed, it tends to crash when doing something related to Carplay. In general, I find the Carplay implementation very inconsistent. Can connect instantly sometimes; other, it doesn't see my phone at all. Not a big deal to me, Carplay is a nice addon, but native iDrive is good, too, and much more stable.
Interesting. I donā€™t have CarPlay enabled. Used it briefly when I first got the car and although it seems clever, I disabled it to help minimize distractions. Coming from an S2000 the Supra has way too much ā€œstuffā€ going on inside as it is ?.

I was listening to XM when iDrive shut off, but cannot recall if I was messing with the volume or changing stations. It seemed to take a solid 15-20 minutes to spontaneously come back to life. Thereā€™s a whole bunch of faults stored (pulled via BimmerLink) presumably from when iDrive was frozen and the safety systems and cameras couldnā€™t communicate.

I want to avoid bringing the car to a dealership unless absolutely necessary as I suspect that may be a headache in and of itself. Iā€™ll keep an eye on it and see if it reoccurs.

What part of VA? Im in Williamsburg.
Richmond here.
Sponsored