Why I'm NOT Hyped About The New Toyota Supra

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
most of the people whinging about the SPX could never afford one, let alone a JZA80, so their fanboy opinion is irrelevant... sadly they still sprout it out for the other fanboy circlejerk lol
Sponsored

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Like others have said, probably due to cost as one of the factors. Building the engine in Japan and than having it shipped to Australia doesn't seem too economical. Also maybe not wanting a $75k+ LS to have the same engine as a "$50k" Toyota. The team also said that they wanted it to have a straight six like with past Supras.

Personally I don't mind or care that is really just a reskinned hardtop Z4, chassis wise. I just wish the Toyota team would have done a little more to differentiate their version from BMW. I would love to believe that, but the Bimmerpost insider said the "Supra" is just a Toyota in name and exterior design. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
We'll see indeed. I find it hard to believe that a unibody car designed to have a roof vs a car designed to have no roof will have similar chassis characteristics, but again we'll see!! :headbang:

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
We'll see indeed. I find it hard to believe that a unibody car designed to have a roof vs a car designed to have no roof will have similar chassis characteristics, but again we'll see!! :headbang:
I mean these days cars are so good, there is abyssmal difference I believe between a Boxster and a Cayman. It can be measured sure, but we're going to nitpick at that point.

....it be nice if it's as good or better than a boxster or a cayman tho.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
my ideal combo would be a BMW chassis with Toyota's drivetrain and electronics. to those that havent owned a modern day BMW, prepared yourself. either start saving up or get ready to do a lot of DIY projects lol.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
I mean these days cars are so good, there is abyssmal difference I believe between a Boxster and a Cayman. It can be measured sure, but we're going to nitpick at that point.

....it be nice if it's as good or better than a boxster or a cayman tho.
I'm here for nitpicking! I can't speak for the 718s, but the 987 Boxster and Cayman did indeed have enough difference to notice. But in the end you're right, if they're related, they'll certainly be in the same ballpark.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
on a side note, while I totally get the distinction & separation Lexus wants from Toyota, I still find it funny that both Toyota & Lexus pressroom websites still feature both Lexus & Toyota announcements lol...not to mention platform sharing between them is not disappearing anytime soon...really silly politics.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
The other argument people fail to recognise is that given Toyota's ridiculously high reliability standards (and therefore reputation)... do they really think that they'd allow their hero model to be in contrary to these requirements (if the BMW running gear is "so unreliable")?

There's no way in hell it'd pass their QA and QC standards.

Why else is it only sprouted as 360hp or whatever? That's the baseline, add Toyota fettling/tuning, then they will crank the power as far as they can go until they reach the limit of reliability/quality standards... then tone it back a smidgen

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
The other argument people fail to recognise is that given Toyota's ridiculously high reliability standards (and therefore reputation)... do they really think that they'd allow their hero model to be in contrary to these requirements (if the BMW running gear is "so unreliable")?

There's no way in hell it'd pass their QA and QC standards.

Why else is it only sprouted as 360hp or whatever? That's the baseline, add Toyota fettling/tuning, then they will crank the power as far as they can go until they reach the limit of reliability/quality standards... then tone it back a smidgen
who knows, maybe it is the trade off that they are willing to make for a low volume car. Admittedly, BMW was technically the best company Toyota could have worked with for this project. Maybe one could argue they could have teamed up with Mazda and make the RX9/Supra as platform twins but Mazda doesn't currently have the infrastructure so it probably would have cost even more money going that route..

I still think Toyota only partially cares about the MK5 Supra, this is more of an image booster for them while the GR Super Sport will be their true Toyota only "go all in" project.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Another one...

Usually I'm into David's content, but man, I really expected him to have a more holistic understanding of the current market and the development process, especially considering the seat time he has in the wide variety of cars he tests.

I guess you just gotta vent your frustrations somewhere... :dunno: