Imperfections in Carbon Fiber Common?

Amfchang

First Name
AMF
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
I recently purchased the AMS carbon wind buffet kit but once I got it, I noticed some imperfections in the clear coat. The weaves are consistent and great but I just see some indent bumps, slight runs and etc. is this a normal thing? I usually am not that anal bout these sort of things but I would like to prepare if I have to lower my expectations with future purchases of carbon parts. Also, what would I have to do to fix it. Itā€™s hard to see in the camera but easy to see physically up front
Sponsored

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
That is not normal. Some rippling in the weave can be considered normal on long curved pieces like on a spoiler, but the clear coat should be fairly flat with no dimples nor runs.

You can try wet sanding the runs off using 1500 and higher grit. Then polish at the end. GL.

Ultimateone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AW A90
If you see a problem with the product wouldn't the first thing to do is contact the company who made the part? I bought these and for $200 dollars I would 100% email or call them and let them know the parts have issues.

Neo1967

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
If you see a problem with the product wouldn't the first thing to do is contact the company who made the part? I bought these and for $200 dollars I would 100% email or call them and let them know the parts have issues.
Agreed!

bryanole27

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR
I've done a decent amount of business with AMS and their parts have always impressed me. This is not typical and I'm sure AMS will handle it.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I have their matte finish one and the passenger side fitment is less than desired. CF itself is clean. I donā€™t use that side since I donā€™t usually have passengers anyway.

Wrapped mine gloss black (3M 2080) and have just the fin left matte CF. Looks fantastic.
Sponsored