KW Coilover DDC

jorligan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ferrari 458, McLaren 650S, Porsche GT3, Alfa 4C, Ford Raptor, Porsche Macan, 21 Supra Turbo
Wondering if anyone has installed the system. Does anyone know if the wifi control adjusts within the limits of the factory controller or does it allow firmer settings.
Sponsored

Reppunkamui

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020, Toyota Supra 1994, BMW 135i M-Sport,
I have the KW DDC PNP installed.

PNP uses the factory controller and is substantially firmer than stock (same as v3 IMO). DDC ECU is different, it is adjusted by the KW controller instead.

Akashugly

First Name
Akash
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra

PNP uses the factory controller and is substantially firmer than stock (same as v3 IMO). DDC ECU is different, it is adjusted by the KW controller instead.
In comfort mode is DDC as soft as stock ?

Salty65

First Name
Salty
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra Premium 3.0

What settings did you decide to go with?

Reppunkamui

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What settings did you decide to go with?
They are preset by KW for the DDC PNP (apart from ride height) for the Supra, basically a street and track setting. I personally found it spring rates fantastic when I took the car on track with the "Sport" setting and keeping up on corners with lighter cars (BRZs/Miatas/Elise).

You lose the ability to specifically set rebound and compression for specific tracks like you would be able to for the clubsports. In exchange you get the convenience of using the built in adaptive suspension system in the Supra... which to me, means I can control it in cabin...

Salty65

First Name
Salty
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra Premium 3.0
They are preset by KW for the DDC PNP (apart from ride height) for the Supra, basically a street and track setting. I personally found it spring rates fantastic when I took the car on track with the "Sport" setting and keeping up on corners with lighter cars (BRZs/Miatas/Elise).

You lose the ability to specifically set rebound and compression for specific tracks like you would be able to for the clubsports. In exchange you get the convenience of using the built in adaptive suspension system in the Supra... which to me, means I can control it in cabin...
Thank you. I appreciate the feedback. I plan on having the install completed next week. That is if I can find a shop that gives me a reasonable cost estimate. So far, a couple of estimates have been in the $1600-$1800 range, and this doesn't include an alignment. I am under the impression that a fully staffed shop should be able to complete the install in roughly 3.5-4 hours.

What are your thoughts?

Reppunkamui

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sorry, I install car parts myself, as I am a bit pedantic, have collected the tools over the years and enjoy it enough that I typically don't find it worthwhile to get someone else to do it.. (I do regret it now and then though) Installation wise, its pretty much the same like a normal coilover with an additional electronic connection to the stock cable.

No idea how long normal installation time would be, I am sure it took me longer than 4 hours in my (home) garage. I wouldn't begrudge them extra time on a coilover install, you want them to adjust it after initial installation... i.e. haver a bit of a drive, for the suspension to settle and make sure ride height and rake are what you wanted etc...

Others may have better feedback to provide on what to expect on an install.

Salty65

First Name
Salty
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra Premium 3.0
Sorry, I install car parts myself, as I am a bit pedantic, have collected the tools over the years and enjoy it enough that I typically don't find it worthwhile to get someone else to do it.. (I do regret it now and then though) Installation wise, its pretty much the same like a normal coilover with an additional electronic connection to the stock cable.

No idea how long normal installation time would be, I am sure it took me longer than 4 hours in my (home) garage. I wouldn't begrudge them extra time on a coilover install, you want them to adjust it after initial installation... i.e. haver a bit of a drive, for the suspension to settle and make sure ride height and rake are what you wanted etc...

Thanks for the feedback. Makes perfect sense.
Bit of a pedantic;), got it.

Pinrut

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda Clarity Hybrid, 2020 Supra Premium Nocturnal
Do you know what the spring rates are on these? I'm looking into upgrading the suspension in the hopes it will reduce the floating feeling I get with the stock suspension

Reppunkamui

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Do you know what the spring rates are on these? I'm looking into upgrading the suspension in the hopes it will reduce the floating feeling I get with the stock suspension
Spring rate information doesn't seem to be provided. That said, there isn't a specific spring rate. Front springs are progressive. Rear springs are linear (but has a pre-spring and a main spring).

Personally, I find for adjustable coilovers (like these ones), spring rate is not a major consideration, as the manufacturer will be using the appropriate springs for the adjustable shocks. You can then change your ride with the compression and rebound settings on your shock.

Personally, I don't find the stock suspension particularly floaty, but I would be comparing it to passenger cars/SUVs. Before looking into replacing your springs/shocks/sways etc, try turning on sport mode for your suspension (increases stiffness) to see if it helps. Might also be worth checking your wheel alignment.

If the above fails, then have a look at springs/shocks/coilovers/sway bars/tie rods etc... Stock suspension is quite capable IMO even on track. Personally, I just needed a little bit more for track days, without excessively compromising daily driving. (my 135i is on a stiff setup and the rattles etc gets annoying after a while)

Pinrut

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Spring rate information doesn't seem to be provided. That said, there isn't a specific spring rate. Front springs are progressive. Rear springs are linear (but has a pre-spring and a main spring).

Personally, I find for adjustable coilovers (like these ones), spring rate is not a major consideration, as the manufacturer will be using the appropriate springs for the adjustable shocks. You can then change your ride with the compression and rebound settings on your shock.

Personally, I don't find the stock suspension particularly floaty, but I would be comparing it to passenger cars/SUVs. Before looking into replacing your springs/shocks/sways etc, try turning on sport mode for your suspension (increases stiffness) to see if it helps. Might also be worth checking your wheel alignment.

If the above fails, then have a look at springs/shocks/coilovers/sway bars/tie rods etc... Stock suspension is quite capable IMO even on track. Personally, I just needed a little bit more for track days, without excessively compromising daily driving. (my 135i is on a stiff setup and the rattles etc gets annoying after a while)
I almost always drive in sport mode now, one of the other things that bothers me is the amount of roll and pitch, aside from the suspension feeling a little disconnected or floaty. Coming from an s2000 which could be very harsh, this feels a little under damped/sprung.

One of the reasons I ask about spring rates is that I've been in contact with MCS, and one of their vendors was recommending springs for street use that were 3.5-4.0 times the stock stiffness.

I realize good damping can make firm springs not harsh, but 3.5x the stock spring rate seems very high... Or am I wrong to be worried about spring rates?

Last edited:

Reppunkamui

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I almost always drive in sport mode now, one of the other things that bothers me is the amount of roll and pitch, aside from the suspension feeling a little disconnected or floaty. Coming from an s2000 which could be very harsh, this feels a little under damped/sprung.

One of the reasons I ask about spring rates is that I've been in contact with MCS, and one of their vendors was recommending springs for street use that were 3.5-4.0 times the stock stiffness.

I realize good damping can make firm springs not harsh, but 3.5x the stock spring rate seems very high... Or am I wrong to be worried about spring rates?
Its been many years since I have sat in an S2K, and it was stock. I don't remember the suspension being particularly stiff, but the feeling is different, when you brake/turn etc which I attributed to the weight of the car.

From my personal experience outside the A90, KW coilovers (even the club sport ones... as well as Bilstein, Koni, Ohlins etc) tend to be less stiffly sprung than JDM equivalents, i.e. HKS/Greddy/Buddy Club/Spoon/Tanabe etc but still perform as well if not better on track. Maybe have a look at the JDM aftermarket options would be more suitable for your preferences.

It might also be worth researching into replacing the various suspension bushings for the car given your concerns... I am not sure where the "soft" points in the suspension are ATM.

Pinrut

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Its been many years since I have sat in an S2K, and it was stock. I don't remember the suspension being particularly stiff, but the feeling is different, when you brake/turn etc which I attributed to the weight of the car.

From my personal experience outside the A90, KW coilovers (even the club sport ones... as well as Bilstein, Koni, Ohlins etc) tend to be less stiffly sprung than JDM equivalents, i.e. HKS/Greddy/Buddy Club/Spoon/Tanabe etc but still perform as well if not better on track. Maybe have a look at the JDM aftermarket options would be more suitable for your preferences.

It might also be worth researching into replacing the various suspension bushings for the car given your concerns... I am not sure where the "soft" points in the suspension are ATM.
Yeah, the A90 weighs 600 lbs or so more than the s2k, but the way the A90 pitches and rolls reminds me a lot like the NC grand touring Miata does. It's not bad, and while very controllable and linear, I think the A90 suspension is under sprung and under damped even in sport mode.

Unfortunately I haven't seen any urethane bushings available, SPL has a full spherical bearing linkage set that replaces all of the linkages in the rear suspension, but I think it might be too much NVH for street use.

Urethane subframe bushings might help the floaty feel of the rear tires for road use, if they were available.

Salty65

First Name
Salty
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra Premium 3.0

I finally had the KW DDC PNP installed and I must say the system is well worth the price. Extremely compliant in both Comfort and Sport. And I agree, it is a bit firmer than stock.... but handles the road inconsistencies so much better. Big Shout Out to Josh @ Miraki Autoworks for a seamless purchase transaction.
Sponsored