Missing (modern day) features

Kato

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2020 GR Supra Phantom
I have the Driver Assist package and I have not seen or heard any warning when backing up if there is cross traffic approaching in my direction. It is supposed to have it. Has anyone experienced this? OR am I mistaken?

Also, one other feature that seems to be missing is text messaging. If you received a text message while driving, what do you think the car should do? Mine does nothing. Not even a notification that I got a message. In my Tacoma, the head unit chimes and reads the message to me. I miss that.

I did get a notification that a phone call had come through but never a hint about text messages. Something in the setting I missed?
Sponsored

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I've had cross traffic alert come on when someone was blasting through the parking lot while I was backing up. Before that I didn't hear it.

Texts come through AppleCar play, I believe there's a toggle for do not disturb while driving - might want to check that. :dunno:

OP
OP

Kato

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Forgot to mention that I have Android phone. Maybe text messages won't get passed through on Android ?

DaBear723

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Forgot to mention that I have Android phone. Maybe text messages won't get passed through on Android ?
I have android and mine works. It doesn't make a sound but you will see it in your notifications, though I still get confused if its an email or text.

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NONE. BOUGHT BACK - 2020 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Android Auto is missing, just jump ship to Apple.

I was the staunchest supporter of Android for years, refusing to use anything but a Nexus/Pixel but I switched in 2017. Never been happier with my phones.

Anyhow, the main tech I would like to see but know we won’t is the Apple Car Key.

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Cross traffic warning alerts on mine when backing up...

I also get text notifications on mine with my Android (S10+ phone)

Webweasel

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Celica GT4 ST205, A90 Supra
Vehicle Showcase
I'm thinking of turning all mine off. I have only had false positives so far. It seems to get confused with hills and bendy streets.

It alerted me once to pedestrians. Now technically they were in front, but the road curves so it was wrong.

Twice in the same spot on other road, it sees the parked cars as in front and has slammed on the brakes. Not an emergency stop but enough to be very annoying and possibly dangerous if you have a tailgater.

Once in a carpark, it alerted cross traffic behind me, which was correct.

OP
OP

Kato

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
For those of you that get text message notifications on Android, that is all that the system does, right? It will not read it for you. If that's all we're getting than I'm not missing much. But if it does read the message for you while you're driving (like my $30k Tacoma does), then I do miss that function.

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
What app/function reads then in a Tacoma? Siri reads them in the Supra, obviously not available on Android, so I was just curious. Or does Tacoma have android auto too?

OP
OP

Kato

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What app/function reads then in a Tacoma? Siri reads them in the Supra, obviously not available on Android, so I was just curious. Or does Tacoma have android auto too?
When I pair my Android phone to my Tacoma (without Apple CarPlay or Android Auto), the Toyota Entune app will tell me if I have a text message and, while the car was moving, it would translate a text into voice and send it to the car's speakers. If the car comes to a stop, I can choose to display the text message on screen.

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Ditto
When I pair my Android phone to my Tacoma (without Apple CarPlay or Android Auto), the Toyota Entune app will tell me if I have a text message and, while the car was moving, it would translate a text into voice and send it to the car's speakers. If the car comes to a stop, I can choose to display the text message on screen.
I use and iPhone. I do not use Apple CarPlay in my Supra and only use the iDrive features. The only notification I get of a text message is the little icon in the upper right corner. No sound, no pop-up, no other alert of any kind. There is a setting that gets the system to display full text message text, but that's it. I can read them, but cannot reply through the iDrive system (I've been told this is a limitation of Apple and replying through iDrive is possible with Android, but cannot confirm). If I want to reply, I have to do it from the phone. I set a smart button to bring me to the messages screen directly so I can read them when (if) I notice I have received one.

That said, my other cars have full featured integration with text. Just like you mentioned, my Tacoma, Ram and Honda all have (had) robust integration with text. I was initially disappointed by the lack of these specific features in The Supra, but if I'm going to be honest, I don't mind not being bothered by text messages while I drive that car.

OP
OP

Kato

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
There is a setting that gets the system to display full text message text, but that's it. I can read them ...
Does this work with iPhone only or with any phone. I'd be happy with that. Do you know what that setting is?

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Does this work with iPhone only or with any phone. I'd be happy with that. Do you know what that setting is?
It's not just iPhone only. However, I may have mistakenly misled you. I thought it was an iDrive option, but it looks like it's a Bimmercode coding option. Apologies, it's been a minute since I set all this up.

If you have Bimmercode, it's in The Supra coding menu under Head Unit/Display Full Text Messages

If you don't have Bimmercode, I highly recommend if you haven't looked into it.
Sponsored