Noise when turning wheel (video inside)

Hbomb173

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Hey, new supra owner- I am getting a noise (below in the video). Progressively gets worse the longer I drive it, after it cools down it goes away until I drive it for awhile again. Def sounds like it is coming from the steering rack. Curious if anyone else has had this before I take it to the dealer and they say they canā€™t recreate it!

Sponsored

RAWSupra

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
have you tried changing reach and rake of steering .. does it still do it ...

OP
OP

Hbomb173

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Had Toyota look at it while I was getting a brake flush, needs a new steering rack. All covered under warranty, just unknown timeframe when they will get it

RAWSupra

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
another example of a dry rack ... i reckon thysenn krupp have not put enough fb-1 grease in them, the 2020 models appear to suffer more ... most go "loose" and clonk especially over rough ground or slow speeds ... your looks too tight sounds like a dry rack thrust bush rubbing on the rack. both can be solved with $5 of FB-1 . but bmw or toyota would rather change whole rack.

Last edited:

Mark5

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 M2
Mine does it but not as loud... They had to change the entire rack on mine a couple of months ago as it made a creaking noise over bumps.

Is it possible to grease it easily or is it a pain in the ass?

OP
OP

Hbomb173

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Mine does it but not as loud... They had to change the entire rack on mine a couple of months ago as it made a creaking noise over bumps.

Is it possible to grease it easily or is it a pain in the ass?
I wish I knew, if it was just grease I would assume thatā€™s much easier

Mark5

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 M2
I wish I knew, if it was just grease I would assume thatā€™s much easier
Did the dealer ask anyone from Toyota to stop by and check it out? They had to get a representative to check mine out before they replaced the steering column. Also did you mention greasing anything to the technician and SA?

adhrutledge

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0
Does my video sound like the same thing? I dont notice it starting out in my driveway, but once I get to parking garage at work, it squeaks the whole way up. Iā€™ve been driving for a year like this thinking it was an electronic steering thing or the tires (i had a much older car before). Any harm in not getting fixed if this is the same thing?

RAWSupra

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
should be more of a clonking/knocking ... let dealer look esp if under warranty ... if not under warranty try regreasing bush as per my link above ..

Mark5

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 M2
Does my video sound like the same thing? I dont notice it starting out in my driveway, but once I get to parking garage at work, it squeaks the whole way up. Iā€™ve been driving for a year like this thinking it was an electronic steering thing or the tires (i had a much older car before). Any harm in not getting fixed if this is the same thing?

I have this noise right now in my 21 3.0. Anyone else?? It's not super annoying but I just need to know if it's "normal". Please help!!!

Dealer is absolutely useless in helping. Please respond if yours makes this noise or not ...

1slow_mk5

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra. S2000. 328i

Mine has this exact same sound too. Kinda annoying but hasnā€™t gotten worse, had it since new. Did you take it to dealer?

adhrutledge

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0
Mine has this exact same sound too. Kinda annoying but hasnā€™t gotten worse, had it since new. Did you take it to dealer?
No, i didnā€™t bring it up the last time I went in because I still havenā€™t gotten a sense of its normal or not. And my dealer canā€™t even handle an oil change so I really donā€™t want them mucking around in my car.

1slow_mk5

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra. S2000. 328i
Lol. Same here. Took it in for the recall. Agreed to the free oil change.. guy spilled oil all over the engineā€¦ and as for the sound, they heard it but didnā€™t know if its normal or not and would need a day to figure it out. No thanks!

No, i didnā€™t bring it up the last time I went in because I still havenā€™t gotten a sense of its normal or not. And my dealer canā€™t even handle an oil change so I really donā€™t want them mucking around in my car.
F225B52E-7673-4A88-8350-632E354E20EE.jpeg

xplizitremix

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91, 2018 FK8
Did everyone just go through warranty to fix the issue?
Sponsored