OBD Plug missing retention bracket?

sikedsyko

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0, 2005 Z4
Just picked up a '21 last week and today went to plug in my OBD reader, but the OBD port was completely AFK. The bracket is there, but the connector was gone. Pulled the dash apart and found the connector floating loose up there. Slid the connector back into the slot, but it still easily slips out. I'm guessing there's supposed to be some sort of retention bracket that connects to these holes? Or is the OBD connector supposed to be compression fit into this bracket and mine is broken?

osJSLcB.jpg
Sponsored

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
OP
OP
sikedsyko

sikedsyko

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0, 2005 Z4
Turns out it was some kind of aftermarket tracking device the dealership I bought it from sells along with their cars, that connects to the factory OBD port and pushes that back in the dash, but I guess they didn’t care to verify that their connector works on the BMW OBD port bracket.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
Ugh, these aftermarket OBD trackers dealers install piss me off. I can see it while they have the vehicle in inventory but it should be removed when sold and also they shouldn’t be hacking or screwing with the factory OBD location when installing this.
Sponsored