Official: 2024 Dodge Charger Daytona (EV + ICE), Scat Pack, Daytona R/T Revealed! 670 Horsepower / 0-60mph in 3.3 Secs

Uwatm8

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura RDX, CLS63 AMG
Bmw might finally have a b58 competitor lmao
Sponsored

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
I like the look of the coupe version. I'm not in love with it the way I love the lines of the MKV but I like it for what it's trying to be. The sedan version looks decent too but a coupe is almost always better than a sedan IMO.

The 420hp I-6TT engine is not going to be desirable bu the 525hp I-6 TT with all forged internals and many other significant differences will be.

On the EV side however.... 6,000lbs is ridiculous. So is the single speed transmission capable of only 134-137mph. Dodge touted a shiftable "electro-mechanical" EV transmission... which presumably was to be either 2-speed or 3-speed... but I guess that will only be available on the 800V SRT Banshee models.

....Which means for the EV version the 800V multi-speed transmission version is the real "base" model while the single-speed 400V EV versions will not hold their value nearly as well over time. At least whatever software unlock "upgrades" you buy from them get permanently locked to that car's VIN number and won't (according to what Dodge has said) ever be "reset" back to base when there is a transfer of ownership.

Really the only "versions" of the EV editions of these cars are those with one or two motors at either 400V or 800V. Everything else is marketing department devised software lockouts that prevent full use of the full driveline hardware potential someone has actually bought themselves.

I don't like Dodge's plan to lock out any 3rd party tuning efforts for the EV side. EV tuning may be a universe of difference when compare to combustion engine modification but that'll be an interesting tug of war in the future.

If Stellantis had some kind of next generation significantly lighter weight battery technology that could help a lot but such hypothetical production batteries would need to cut at least 2,000lbs of weight to get this thing down to what the last generation Challengers and Chargers scale at.... and those things are already heavy.

Nonetheless... this is a Dodge we're talking about but in several ways it's a welcome alternative to a Tesla.

And even being Dodge I'd have more faith in their dealer network, parts system and ability to actually handle customer service than Tesla has been able to historically.

Not an ideal car but in the bigger picture this is currently an interesting option for someone who wants an EV that isn't a Tesla (or like a Tesla) or that isn't a truck or crossover. I don't think any other traditional two door coupe EV is currently on sale other than a few EV hypercars at $1M+.

An EV two door coupe with somewhat chunky/blocky styling and an actually normal, driver-centric interior... apart from the ludicrous curb weight...definitely has appeal.

Ford badged a next-gen Escape electric crossover as a "Mustang" but Dodge actually made an EV that, while extremely flawed, is genuinely the thing the name of the vehicle says it is.

Hopefully it will impress in independent reviews and driving tests. Dodge's marketing for this thing is laughable and incredibly stupid though.