PLEASE HELP!!! ECU problem

Islammk5

First Name
Islam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra mk5
Hello everyone, Im a bit freaked out right now. Today I tried mhd tune on stage 1 then it was telling me on the app for some reason that my ecu is locked. I have a 2020 supra so I thought those are unlocked? When I pressed to write the map it failed after 2% and then said again my ecu was locked. Then I tried resetting back to stock and that didnt work the 6 times I tried. It goes up to 20-50% then just fails. I cant turn on the car and I am towng it to a toyota dealership to see what they can do. Does anyone have any idea what happened and what to do for next time to not run into this problem again. Anything will help..
Sponsored

Kolme

First Name
Kolme
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
It needs a bench unlock it sounds like. Not like a FEMTO one, but just a regular one. You should have someone local. Iā€™d avoid the stealership for now.

OP
OP

Islammk5

First Name
Islam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra mk5
Likely had the recall done, which relocks the ECU. You'll probably need a bench unlock in order to tune the car.
is bench unlock the one I have to ship to another country to get it unlocked or how does that work?

OP
OP

Islammk5

First Name
Islam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra mk5
It needs a bench unlock it sounds like. Not like a FEMTO one, but just a regular one. You should have someone local. Iā€™d avoid the stealership for now.
I honestly dont have anyonelocal for these types of cars, will toyota just reset the ecu I assume?

elusive

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra MT
Hello everyone, Im a bit freaked out right now. Today I tried mhd tune on stage 1 then it was telling me on the app for some reason that my ecu is locked. I have a 2020 supra so I thought those are unlocked? When I pressed to write the map it failed after 2% and then said again my ecu was locked. Then I tried resetting back to stock and that didnt work the 6 times I tried. It goes up to 20-50% then just fails. I cant turn on the car and I am towng it to a toyota dealership to see what they can do. Does anyone have any idea what happened and what to do for next time to not run into this problem again. Anything will help..
SOME 2020's have a later ECU date so they can't actually be tuned (I believe). It's either that or you need a bench unlock. I would double check your ECU date incase if you haven't already to make sure you aren't wasting time trying to bench unlock rather than Femto unlock.

Reactions: zrk
OP
OP

Islammk5

First Name
Islam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra mk5
SOME 2020's have a later ECU date so they can't actually be tuned (I believe). It's either that or you need a bench unlock. I would double check your ECU date incase if you haven't already to make sure you aren't wasting time trying to bench unlock rather than Femto unlock.
it said 06/11/2019. Im just worried I will have to buy a new ecu? or that wont be the case?

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
All 2020s are tunable. OP you need a bench unlock. Toyota won't do this. They are the ones that locked it.

Kolme

First Name
Kolme
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
it said 06/11/2019. Im just worried I will have to buy a new ecu? or that wont be the case?
You donā€™t need a new ECU.
Taking it to Toyota might cause them to yank your warranty after seeing what happened. Iā€™d start by consulting a respectable tuner. You can often overnight to them.

OP
OP

Islammk5

First Name
Islam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra mk5
You donā€™t need a new ECU.
Taking it to Toyota might cause them to yank your warranty after seeing what happened. Iā€™d start by consulting a respectable tuner. You can often overnight to them.
I dont have a warranty on it

Kolme

First Name
Kolme
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I dont have a warranty on it
Gah I donā€™t know if that makes the situation better or worse honestly haha. Just start by contacting a respectable tuner. Uber to work tomorrow. Dealership is the last place Iā€™d go to personally.

OP
OP

Islammk5

First Name
Islam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra mk5
Gah I donā€™t know if that makes the situation better or worse honestly haha. Just start by contacting a respectable tuner. Uber to work tomorrow. Dealership is the last place Iā€™d go to personally.
The issue is that I cant turn on the car, Do you know any tuners that can help me out?