Puff of smoke when coming to a stop

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
And there in lies a clue. Overfilled engine oil. During stopping the oil in the sump surges forward and causes excessive splash onto the front cylinders and if the oil level is too high the oil control and second ring can't deal with it totally and you get some oil in the combustion chamber.
See if the issue is more prevalent with hard stops/braking than slowly coming to a stop. If it does drain some engine oil and see what happens.

Phil

Oil level is correct. Not sure where in my post I indicated possibly overfilling it. Smells like oil, but almost certainly isn't. 17,000 miles and no oil level issues, just put in the exact amount during the oil change and never add extra..
Sponsored

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Oil level is correct. Not sure where in my post I indicated possibly overfilling it. Smells like oil, but almost certainly isn't. 17,000 miles and no oil level issues, just put in the exact amount during the oil change and never add extra..
You didn't. What do you mean by the "exact amount"? Exact amount that comes out or the exact amount specified in the shop manual? Does the oil monitoring system indicate an overfull condition or does it just top out at 100%/measured level no matter how much you have in there?

Phil

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My last post was unambiguous.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
That monitor in the car doesn't tell you if you're over.

racebuild

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW
Previous generation B58 had this problem, a sign that the PCV valve is going bad. The gen2 has an updated PCV that is built into the valve cover.

Easy way to check if the PCV has failed is while the car is at idle crack open the oil cap, if there is excessive vacuum when lifting the oil cap. If so a new valve cover is needed.
I posted in another thread. Fairly common typical BMW PCV, search B58 PCV.

Forgot to add, if you don’t have excessive crankcase vacuum it’s burning off excess oil accumulated in the pcv through the pcv ports in the cylinder head when under vacuum.

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That monitor in the car doesn't tell you if you're over.
It sure does if you emptied the sump and added back the refill amount in the last fill.

hinjie

First Name
ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra 3.0 premium
It sure does if you emptied the sump and added back the refill amount in the last fill.
Would
Like to bring this thread back. Got the same issue, any fix’s?

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Would
Like to bring this thread back. Got the same issue, any fix’s?
I am pretty sure mine was due to some oil getting into the intake or temporary pcv issue. Mine hasn't done it since the first month or two I had the JB4, meth, and catless exhaust.

hinjie

First Name
ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra 3.0 premium
I am pretty sure mine was due to some oil getting into the intake or temporary pcv issue. Mine hasn't done it since the first month or two I had the JB4, meth, and catless exhaust.
I gotcha, I have a catted dp, exhaust and jb4. Im gonna do an oil change this weekend(even tho dealer just did one on monday) incase they messed up

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I gotcha, I have a catted dp, exhaust and jb4. Im gonna do an oil change this weekend(even tho dealer just did one on monday) incase they messed up
If you want to be sure about the dealership not overfilling, just drain it all, then refill with exactly the prescribed amount. Honestly it seems like some mileage may be the cure, if you search the issue it's difficult to find any cars with mileage experiencing the issue. The reason I figured it was PCV related is because it would typically happen when coming to a stop and turning left (weird). Also, being catless makes more visible fumes (my modded s2000 scared me at first too), and the smell can be mistaken for oil a bit, but that doesn't appear to be a potential cause for you.