Puff of smoke when coming to a stop

JimmyA91

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Soon & 2018 Ram
Do people get a small puff when coming to a stop? I read about the big smoke that some people have. It is random for me and it is like one puff. I have cat back and cat less dp and a ecutek ots tune.
Sponsored

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
Do people get a small puff when coming to a stop? I read about the big smoke that some people have. It is random for me and it is like one puff. I have cat back and cat less dp and a ecutek ots tune.
What did you think was gonna happen with that exhaust setup?

OP
OP

JimmyA91

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Soon & 2018 Ram
What did you think was gonna happen with that exhaust setup?
I had plenty of cars without cats and turbos. I just wanted to confirm that there was nothing to be worried about.

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
I've had the same thing since going Catless. Mine looks and smells like oil burning, but after 2000 miles since I first saw the smoke...oil level is still at max. At this point it's more embarrassing than concerning.

Bflood

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Premium
I've had the same thing since going Catless. Mine looks and smells like oil burning, but after 2000 miles since I first saw the smoke...oil level is still at max. At this point it's more embarrassing than concerning.
Coincidental.. Your car isn't going to produce smoke because you removed the cat. A catalytic converter might aid in burning oil before exiting the exhaust pipe, producing less smoke, but most likely you were burning oil before the removal and didn't realize it.

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
Coincidental.. Your car isn't going to produce smoke because you removed the cat. A catalytic converter might aid in burning oil before exiting the exhaust pipe, producing less smoke, but most likely you were burning oil before the removal and didn't realize it.
My point was that it probably isn't actually oil.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
I still have the factory cat, but I was behind a catless buddy of mine when he was racing and he has pure 800 and ecutek, and everytime he floored it, I thought his turbo went Kaboom, a lot of smoke, he said its normal, I guess some cars just burn more oil than others, some other cars local to me that are catless I don't really see any smoke.

Camus

First Name
Daniel.
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra , 2021 M4 Base.
lol happened to me today. Happened with normal mode (no sport), at low speed and was a lot of smoke, just once. I have catless and Ecutek E50 Marin Tune.

I was concerned, then measured the oil level and it is full. Could be just an excess of fuel?

Also it does not happen in sport and the outside temp is warm, 35 °C.

Last edited:

Neo1967

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
How do you know when your Turbo is bad? How do diagnose A bad turbo?
would you be able to diagnose a bad turbo with Bimmerlink?

A90dave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
I just had that happened to my car today. Is this just normal with the b58. Would a catch can work for this issue?

Bflood

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Premium
FWIW, I think there is an inherent flaw with a bottom mounted/ stock placement turbo. I just moved to a top mount pushing more boost than ever.. checked the charge pipe and it's bone dry. (Never saw that even on a bone stock setup)

SupraEssDee

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a90
Has anyone figured anything out with this? I just installed a catless downpipe and OTS BM3 93 tune. Within about 3 weeks I started to have this smoke problem. Very intermittent. Seems to only happen when cruising in normal mode. Huge cloud though, right when I come to a stop.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
And there in lies a clue. Overfilled engine oil. During stopping the oil in the sump surges forward and causes excessive splash onto the front cylinders and if the oil level is too high the oil control and second ring can't deal with it totally and you get some oil in the combustion chamber.
See if the issue is more prevalent with hard stops/braking than slowly coming to a stop. If it does drain some engine oil and see what happens.

Phil
Sponsored