Quick way to remove light scratches from a titanium exhaust?

ikingkhaos

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
As the title states, is anyone on here familiar with a product or know of a way to remove some light scratches from a titanium exhaust?

i recently purchased a Tomei Type R exhaust, the exhaust had burnt off some of the plastic from the diffuser off the previous owner vehicle and it was still stuck on the exhaust tip. I managed to get most of it off using a blow torch, wd40 and scrubbing it off with a wooden paint mixing stick, unfortunately it did leave some light scratches. So now Iā€™m wondering if anyone know or has used a specific product or method to remove something like this. Any info would be greatly appreciated. TIA!
Sponsored

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
All I can say is that I used chemical guys light polish and a light (white) polishing pad and it removed the blue burn from one of my tips.

So don't do that

Don't be me

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
If you're talking about scratches on the oxidized layer then you're going to have to do some work.

You need to use something like Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish to remove the oxidized layer. Then you'll need to re-oxidize it again with a heat source.

There's plenty of videos online that show you how to use a blowtorch to achieve that effect on Ti.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ikingkhaos

ikingkhaos

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
All I can say is that I used chemical guys light polish and a light (white) polishing pad and it removed the blue burn from one of my tips.

So don't do that

Don't be me
Thanks for sharing this šŸ™šŸ¼ Thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m trying to avoid. I bought two products Iā€™m gonna try in two inconspicuous locations. So hopefully that doesnā€™t happen to me.

OP
OP
ikingkhaos

ikingkhaos

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If you're talking about scratches on the oxidized layer then you're going to have to do some work.

You need to use something like Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish to remove the oxidized layer. Then you'll need to re-oxidize it again with a heat source.

There's plenty of videos online that show you how to use a blowtorch to achieve that effect on Ti.
Ooof, most of the ones I have arenā€™t on the oxidized portion of the exhaust, I mean thereā€™s a few, but most of them are on the polished portion of the tip, so Iā€™m definitely gonna avoid that area for now. Thanks for sharing this, if worse comes to worse I might just have to resort to doing this myself. Iā€™m just worried I wonā€™t get the same coloring that it has on there already.

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
If most of the scratches are in the polished portion, you could probably use any light polish and a light polishing pad since you don't have to worry about removing the oxidation.

I WILL say that the area I polished on the polished portion came out mirror-like and really nice.

OP
OP
ikingkhaos

ikingkhaos

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If most of the scratches are in the polished portion, you could probably use any light polish and a light polishing pad since you don't have to worry about removing the oxidation.

I WILL say that the area I polished on the polished portion came out mirror-like and really nice.
Perfect, thanks for the info man, I truly appreciate it. Now I have a good idea of what to expect. Im gonna go with some flitz metal polish, since itā€™s says it works on titanium and is non abrasive, see what type of results this gives me, Iā€™ll try my best to stay out the oxidized tip and hopefully donā€™t end up removing it. Iā€™ll post pictures of my results just in case this happens to anyone else in the near future lol

OP
OP
ikingkhaos

ikingkhaos

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Adams polish #1 and #2. Youā€™ll thank me for ever.
Thank you good sir! Iā€™ll give this a shot if the product I ordered doesnā€™t give me the results Iā€™m looking for.
Sponsored