Quick suggestion for using the built-in navigation program

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
I played around with the various methods of entering an address. Here's what works the best for me:

1. Press the voice button on the steering wheel.
2. Say "Enter new address."
3. After our NAV girl asks you to say the address,
4. Say the street number, street name, city, and state.
5. Most of the time, the NAV girl will repeat exactly what you said. If her address is not quite right, you can say the word shown on the screen that allows you to repeat the address. (I forgot what that is.)
6. Once you verify that the address she spoke is correct, the guidance will begin. Even if you cancel out of it, you can always go back to it by selecting "previous" after getting back into the "Find new address" routine.

What method(s) work best for you owners who have years of NAV experience?

Ancient navigation story: Many years ago, when many drivers used external navigation systems, there was a manufacturer (not Garmin) that made one with the guidance voice of Michael Knight's Knight 2000 car's computer (of the TV series, "Knight Rider") The voice would address you by your name as it guided you to your destination. I never had that system, but I thought it would be hilarious to use.
Sponsored

Last edited:

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
One thing I noticed with the Nav thats a little different is if the system detects you have departed from a mapped road, so at road works for instance where you are directed "off piste" the Nav system just tells you the nav function is now unavailable. When you get back onto the normal road again it resumes. My previous Nav systems would have you driving across displayed open fields for miles at new sections of freeway that had deviated from the original old road. Quite entertaining it was. On that subject I wondered why the Nav system when it recognised this type of event such as travelling at 110kph over open fields why it doesn't use this information as a " preliminary update to the system or flag it in the software as a possible new road and update the internal map. I mean if you're travelling at 110kph for miles and miles over what it has programmed as open fields then it's pretty obvious it's a new road. Maybe if it logs it 3 times then it updates the maps internally? IT experts here may know.
Phil

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
One thing I noticed with the Nav thats a little different is if the system detects you have departed from a mapped road, so at road works for instance where you are directed "off piste" the Nav system just tells you the nav function is now unavailable. When you get back onto the normal road again it resumes. My previous Nav systems would have you driving across displayed open fields for miles at new sections of freeway that had deviated from the original old road. Quite entertaining it was. On that subject I wondered why the Nav system when it recognised this type of event such as travelling at 110kph over open fields why it doesn't use this information as a " preliminary update to the system or flag it in the software as a possible new road and update the internal map. I mean if you're travelling at 110kph for miles and miles over what it has programmed as open fields then it's pretty obvious it's a new road. Maybe if it logs it 3 times then it updates the maps internally? IT experts here may know.
Phil
Good point, Phil. When I need nav in my MX5, I use my phone and Google Maps. That must be updated very often because there is a new road (to the freeway) in my area that Google Maps already knows about, but the Supra NAV does not. What you describe would make sense if the Supra NAV were set up that way. Thankfully, the new road is about 1 mile, only. I wonder if there will be periodic updates to the software.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Ancient navigation story: Many years ago, when many drivers used external navigation systems, there was a manufacturer (not Garmin) that made one with the guidance voice of Michael Knight's Knight 2000 car's computer (of the TV series, "Knight Rider") The voice would address you by your name as it guided you to your destination. I never had that system, but I thought it would be hilarious to use.
Waze comes up with voices from time to time. I believe there's online repository you can still download old ones from. I don't recall it ever calling out your name but everything else in fun voices...

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Waze comes up with voices from time to time. I believe there's online repository you can still download old ones from. I don't recall it ever calling out your name but everything else in fun voices...
I'll bet this will become more prevalent with the proliferation of AI. 😎

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Umm.. never used it and never will as it looks rubbish.

Apple CarPlay and Waze FTW.
My NAV ties in with the HUD, which is a good thing. Also, I much prefer my Samsung Ultra phone but that's a whole nother discussion.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
My NAV ties in with the HUD, which is a good thing. Also, I much prefer my Samsung Ultra phone but that's a whole nother discussion.
My HUD has NOTHING but a speedometer. Horses for courses.

And without Waze, enjoy not having live traffic updates; speed traps, road hazards and live police reports. 💁‍♂️

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My HUD has NOTHING but a speedometer. Horses for courses.

And without Waze, enjoy not having live traffic updates; speed traps, road hazards and live police reports. 💁‍♂️
Actually, there are no speed traps in this area. Traffic cruises at 80 mph+ and traffic updates and alternative routes are included on the NAV and Google maps. Really, I like to focus on the road as much as possible. Besides, I have lots of flexibility as a retired person.
Sponsored