Safeties went off randomly during a ride (steering assist and radar related features)

Pizmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra a90
I literally, with passion, hate dealership service, at least here in my country. They do have a reputation of being sloppy and totally unprofessional. Bear with me, as I describe what happened, perhaps some of you have heard about something similar. On Monday I have changed my wheels to summer ones and at the same time had to do 1st service at my dealership - which I usually try to avoid like fire due to their lack of professionalism. They exchanged the oil with filter and gave me the car back. They were not able to reset the oil service prompt in the car system because...they did not know how... They apologized and asked me to come back next week when there will be someone who knows this stuff in their office. Fine I guess. I drove home 3km. More or less seemed fined, apart from slightly more muffled exhaust sound than usual in Sport mode, but I did not pay too much attention to it. After waiting for 2.5 hours for them to finish I just wanted to get back home.

On Tuesday I googled how to reset the oil service request myself. They did mark it as successful in their systems, my service book, so I was like 'screw it, I can do it myself in the car system'. After watching a video that lasted about 30 seconds I managed to reset it myself... Cool, all nice and ready for summer. I start the car today, drove about 4km, but from the very beginning, I was hearing way more noise than usual, like the air conditioning was blowing full force, getting louder as I increased the speed and died off as I stopped (wheels?). Really noticeable. Then, after a moment, steering wheel started to counter my movements randomly, going left or right even on a straight road and/or making it harder to turn in one direction for a brief moment. Shortly after all my safeties went off, steering assist, pedestrian recognition and so on - don't remember all the names and errors especially in English, but there were at least four. Car system notified me that something might be obstructing the radar but apart from a couple of snow flakes and rain it was crystal clear. I stopped the car turned it off/on again and started to drive back. After a moment same thing happened. Steering wheel kicks back, steering assist along with other assists went off.

Does anyone has any ideas what might be happening here? The weather is slightly off, its rainy around 2 degrees with the weather changing every hour or so lately, with some snowflakes here and there. The noise I'm getting while driving seems to be caused by the wheels/tires since it's related to speed - at least that's my assumption. Can it be the fact that I'm driving summer tires in 2 degrees with rain, so outside of their recommended working temps? Has anyone noticed/heard about steering assist going off along with other assists? I'm trying to asses whether either the dealership screw something up or is it just a nasty weather coincidence...or something just going bad with the car. I have an appointment scheduled with Toyota dealership on Monday, but Jesus I'd rather avoid that from happening, they always mess something up, or leave their greasy marks freaking everywhere in the cockpit which drives me insane after paying detailer to make it pristine...
Sponsored

Last edited:

Driver181920

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hopefully a Supra
" steering wheel started to counter my movements randomly, going left or right " appears to be the safety systems engaging. Could be from lane keep assist or blind spot radar; system identified from radar and/or camera that you were drifting out of lane (intentionally or not) or object was in other lane.

My previous car had no safety features & I usually don't signal when I change lanes. When I test drove the Supra, all safety systems were activated. I changed lanes without signaling, and the car was fighting my steering (it was scary).

First things first, clean off the camera & radar area. Read owners manual to understand what each system does. Enable/disable features & steering shake feedback if necessary. I personally leave LKAS off since I don't signal on every lane change. But keep strong steering feedback. Hope this helps

1618686146235.png

OP
OP

Pizmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra a90
Thanks for your response, appreciate it! Sadly I was going too slow for the lane departure warning to kick in at that time - sadly, since that would be the best explanation.

With that said, I drove the car a bit more since then. Performed a driver profile reset and charged my battery as I read these things might have an impact. Unfortunately I still feel somethings is odd, but I think I understand it a bit more now - it's actually not the steering wheel intervening, but more like steering assist going on and off, making it harder or lighter to turn in one direction randomly, even on a straight line with occasional centering issue. This gave me a feeling like the steering would be countering. Can even feel like flat tire at some points. I can see that it's not very uncommon for BMWs... Going to drop off my car at Toyota Monday morning, will see how it goes. I will though suggest software update to them as they might be clueless on how to proceed.

OP
OP

Pizmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra a90
Maybe someone reading it through in future will benefit from it, so I'll describe what happened with the service.

They kept the car for 2 days. I listed several problems, googled and even provided some possible solutions for them. Long story short, they indeed found the errors regarding radar when they scanned the car, but all they did was to charge it to full overnight (which I already did myself) and did a full software update on it. After the software update I literally felt that the steering wheel is working smoother and with noticeable less resistance. Never had the issue with steering assist after that - at least so far (fingers crossed)! They also mentioned that my battery is at 60% overall quality, since I asked them to test it, as the car drops to 15% in one week and recharges to full in like 5 hours. Sadly, their policy is, that the battery needs to drop to 50% or less for them to change it on warranty :) I'll visit them next year then.
Sponsored